XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Replacing rear brakes

Old 06-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing rear brakes

Hi all,

A car shop recommended the following work items for a 1997 XJ6.
(They asked if I could get the needed parts, and I am online now ordering from RockAuto)

1. Driver Front Wheel Bearing Bad [Repack Front Bearings]
Should I buy both inner and outer?

2. Repack Front Bearings
I guess this means installing new ones?

3. Rear Brakes
Should I get just Brake pads?

Thank you,

Old 06-18-2013, 05:35 AM
Received 10,282 Likes on 6,803 Posts

Ok, at my age that quote would have me absolutely FURIOUS. more like a politicians shopping list, SORRY if that offends someone, but I read it as someone taking advantage of someone else.

If I am wrong PLEASE accept my humble apologies, and I will take my JD to the "bad corner" and take my punishment very seriously.

1) Front wheel bearing bad, is vague at least, but I would ALWAYS do inner and outer, and seal, and use the best quality disc brake wheel bearing grease available in your market.

2) Is a snow job for the first. Repack in my day, looooooong time ago, was to simply dismantle the hub, and repack with NEW grease. Some work procedure left over from the "drum brake days" that I remember well.

3) Rear brakes as bad is sooooo Grey, it is impossible to really understand what they mean. Brake pads are a "normal" wear item, and disc rotors "generally" get replaced on the rear at about every 4th-6th set of pads. Fronts are more often replaced on any car.

Some more clarification from him will be needed in my opinion.

Hope that helps a little.

The following users liked this post:
Selsoft (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Ok, at my age that quote would have me absolutely FURIOUS. more like a politicians shopping list, SORRY if that offends someone, but I read it as someone taking advantage of someone else.

If I am wrong PLEASE accept my humble apologies, and I will take my JD to the "bad corner" and take my punishment very seriously.

1) Front wheel bearing bad, is vague at least, but I would ALWAYS do inner and outer, and seal, and use the best quality disc brake wheel bearing grease available in your market.

2) Is a snow job for the first. Repack in my day, looooooong time ago, was to simply dismantle the hub, and repack with NEW grease. Some work procedure left over from the "drum brake days" that I remember well.

3) Rear brakes as bad is sooooo Grey, it is impossible to really understand what they mean. Brake pads are a "normal" wear item, and disc rotors "generally" get replaced on the rear at about every 4th-6th set of pads. Fronts are more often replaced on any car.

Some more clarification from him will be needed in my opinion.

Hope that helps a little.
Thank you, this helps a lot!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:00 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

A photo/description of your rear discs would be a good starting point if you're unsure...
Also, bear in mind that the pistons in the calipers will need to be retracted even if only for new pads - if they're going to stick, this is when it'll probably happen! So be aware that a rebuild or new calipers may be needed.

My rears didn't need doing, but I made sure I had some spares ready after being caught out by the front ones!