Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Small list of hopefully inexpensive parts needed (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/small-list-hopefully-inexpensive-parts-needed-218326/)

JasonwiththeXJ6 05-26-2019 06:50 PM

Small list of hopefully inexpensive parts needed

List of repairs needed on my car. Posting this mostly as a place to keep a record for myself, but also to see if anyone on here has any replacement parts. 1997 xj6

—power antenna broken.
—Center console reverse lid thing broken. Won’t stay closed.
—Ashtray lid chrome cover off on both rear doors. Both pieces are still there, just not attached. This may be a super glue repair.
—crappy aftermarket satellite radio installed. I need to remove the wiring from somewhere.
—digital clock doesn’t work right.
—driver seat leather is kinda worn. No rips, but there are some cracks and such.
—needs a paint job. Is a common xj6 worth the expense of a new paint job?
—new tires eventually. Keep wheels or upgrade to xjr wheels. ?
—floormats have taken a kind of greenish hue. Not moldy, just looks greenish. They still look nice though, so maybe they’ll clean up.

Rivguy 05-26-2019 07:33 PM

Welcome. You don't mention any mechanical issues so that's a good start. You should be able to replace the antenna mast alone. You don't have your location indicated. In my area X300s are pretty common in the Pick Yourself salvage yards. The armrest cup holder is a common problem, you could get lucky and find one there. Paint is always a big expense. Whether or not it is worth it is up to you.It would depend on how long you plan on keeping the car. and how good you want it to look. I'd do the paint before upgrading the wheels. Good luck.

JasonwiththeXJ6 05-26-2019 07:40 PM

I’m in northern Ohio. My car was originally in Houston for the first 15 years.

Don B 05-27-2019 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JasonwiththeXJ6 (Post 2076405)
I’m in northern Ohio. My car was originally in Houston for the first 15 years.

Hi Jason,

As Rivguy mentioned, you can usually replace just the antenna mast as long as your motor is still working. The masts are available from eBay sellers for less than USD $15.00. I think I paid $12.50 each including shipping for the batch I ordered most recently.

Many of the parts you mention are no longer available from Jaguar so good salvaged parts will be your only option. Local salvage yards may have what you need. If not, find eBay sellers who are offering parts from a similar car and contact them to see if they have what you need.

For new parts, check out our forum sponsor Welsh Enterprises, based in Steubenville, Ohio (welshent.com).

If you're willing to do your homework, you may be able to repair your leather yourself. Check out leatherique.com, furnitureclinic.com and others (google Leather Dye and Leather Restoration Products).

Cheers,

Don