XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Squeak and wheel bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Squeak and wheel bearing question

I own a 1995 vanden plas with about 74,000 miles on it. There is a squeak coming from the right rear wheel. when i hit the brakes it makes no difference until i am stopped then it goes away and starts back up when i start to go again. I was thinking this may (or may not) be related to the wheel bearings. I bought the car from my grandma who had the car serviced regularly and kept all the service records. When i went through the service records i noticed that there was nothing about the wheel bearings being replaced or serviced besides an adjustment on the right front one back in 2003. I kind of find this hard to believe considering how this car was babied but is there a way to check and see? also if i do have to replace them can anyone give recommendations as to a brand and how hard is it to replace them (I’m pretty new to cars.). Any advice is appreciated and any other thoughts on what this squeak could be from.

Thanks,

Chase

Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Chavid92
I own a 1995 vanden plas with about 74,000 miles on it. There is a squeak coming from the right rear wheel. when i hit the brakes it makes no difference until i am stopped then it goes away and starts back up when i start to go again. I was thinking this may (or may not) be related to the wheel bearings. I bought the car from my grandma who had the car serviced regularly and kept all the service records. When i went through the service records i noticed that there was nothing about the wheel bearings being replaced or serviced besides an adjustment on the right front one back in 2003. I kind of find this hard to believe considering how this car was babied but is there a way to check and see? also if i do have to replace them can anyone give recommendations as to a brand and how hard is it to replace them (I’m pretty new to cars.). Any advice is appreciated and any other thoughts on what this squeak could be from.

Thanks,

Chase
Several times over the years I have run into what you describe. It could be the hub grease seal, usually the inner one. It gets dry and worn and begins to squeak. I've always had to take the hub apart and replace or repack the bearings and install new seals. To confirm I started to use a hose and soak down the seal area with water, that usually quiets it down for a few minutes. That tells me I found the right spot.

That may not be your problem, but it's one possibility.

Cheers,

Old 04-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default squeak

I have the same exact problem ATM..The Squeak noise won't be there until I pick up some speed then it will be there until I do a full stop. Once I take off again its there. My dad was saying I need new Rotors and brakes..would that fix it? I know if you need new brakes that your car will squeak while applying brakes but my Squeak noise is constant during driving & braking.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no squeeks

Hey guys. My '96 X300 has not had any squeaks since I've owned it and has none now. 180 plus K and also has no rattles, squeaks, clunks, or rattles (knock on wood) so I'm not complaining. I have come to believe this may be the best car I have ever owned including my Vette.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by poor boy
Hey guys. My '96 X300 has not had any squeaks since I've owned it and has none now. 180 plus K and also has no rattles, squeaks, clunks, or rattles (knock on wood) so I'm not complaining. I have come to believe this may be the best car I have ever owned including my Vette.
I'd venture to say that there are a lot of folks that would say their X300 is the best car they have ever owned! I know I'm one of them. I've made my living off of Jaguar and I know they dented my pocketbook by having few failures.

Cheers,

Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Received 10,293 Likes on 6,812 Posts

The X300 still has 4 grease nipples, on the half shaft universal joints, complete with pretty little rubber caps. NO ONE ever greases them, including the dealers in those days (I worked for one).

My X300 had the squeaks when I picked it up, and having heard this on the Beast (XJ-S) I quickly squirted some grease in each nipple prior to the 2000km trip home, and not a squeak was heard.

Bet that is your noise, simple 5 minute fix while the kettle boils.

BEST Jaguar I have ever owned, and there have have been many before it.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XJ6 has a creeky noise sounds like a squeaky bed frame when I'm going over bumps what could this be?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by penelope11
My XJ6 has a creeky noise sounds like a squeaky bed frame when I'm going over bumps what could this be?
I think a good possibility is the two front stabilizer bushings at the front of the suspension. The stabilizer bar is coated and the thing can corrode under that coating. The coating sticks to the bushing and the bar just twists in that coating. The noise that results is sometimes horrendous. I take the bushings out and chip that out, then lubricate the bar with a NON-PETROLEUM grease. Usually shuts it right up.

Worth a check.

Cheers,