Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Strange noise from Rear (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/strange-noise-rear-120649/)

rod_f 06-25-2014 05:11 PM

Strange noise from Rear

Hi there, first thread.
Started up my 97 X300 (XJ 4.0 Sport) and sat there for a few seconds while I worked out how many failed bulbs there are in the heater panel and clock.
A few seconds later while still idling in Park there was a mechanical noise from behind me which I can only describe as "Roarp". Lasted half a second and stopped.
Went to the local supermarket and back and the car is fine.

I don't want to create problems where none exist but do failing fuel pumps make noises on startup ?
Or is there anything else at the rear that could make a mechanical noise while stationary.
Ta.

margate69 06-25-2014 05:29 PM

No, the fuel pump wont make noise. Sounds like the antenna motor. Does it go all the way up, and all the way down properly?

Don B 06-25-2014 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rod_f (Post 1002906)
Or is there anything else at the rear that could make a mechanical noise while stationary.

Hi Rod,

Welcome to the forum. Please be sure to post an intro in the New Member's Section when you get a chance.

The noise you heard in the rear end could certainly be related to the fuel pump. Another possibility could be the electrically-operated radio antenna/aerial, which extends after startup if the radio is on. Perhaps the mast is dirty, corroded or slightly bent and is sticking as it reaches its full extension. I can't think of anything else back there that moves until the transmission is moved into a forward or reverse gear.

Perhaps other members will chime in.

Cheers,

Don

robxjr6 06-25-2014 05:33 PM

Could be your fuel pump getting tired, another possibility is a seized up power aerial, they do make some horrendous groans when they've not seen lube in a while!!!

rod_f 06-25-2014 05:45 PM

Radio Aerial, good call, a lot cheaper and easier.
I'll check it tomorrow.

rod_f 08-08-2014 01:09 PM

I did change the aerial as one of the sections was sticking. Getting the sleeve out was proving difficult so I followed step 3 on the link and it worked a treat:
www.AntennaMastsRus.com

Don B 08-08-2014 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rod_f (Post 1032170)
I did change the aerial as one of the sections was sticking.

Hi Rod,

Is the noise gone now that you've replaced the aerial?

Cheers,

Don

rod_f 08-09-2014 04:29 AM

Hi Don,
The alarming noise was a one-off event but in general the aerial struggled to rise and fall smoothly. It was old and I think some of the sections weren't quite fully straight anymore.
Anyway it seems happier now and I'll wait to see if the noise ever occurs again.
Rod