Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Sunroof Fun (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/sunroof-fun-218803/)

Ashton Dimovski 06-06-2019 04:13 PM

Sunroof Fun

Hey guys

So I was finally able to clean up the Kitty, and as I was playing with her, I found that the sunroof opened but didn’t want to close.

She went about half way, and then got stuck. Now she won’t close at all. And for some reason the spindle in the sunroof/overhead light compartment won’t let me manually close it - has anyone run across this issue before? Any ideas on how to resolve it?

thanks all!

motorcarman 06-06-2019 08:35 PM

:icon_deadhorse:

Lady Penelope 06-06-2019 10:07 PM

There are 3 or 4 TSB's on the sunroof to get some foundation understanding

If you look above the sunglass holder there is a release slot screw to get to the motor that has a manual crank to play with and get more information

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource :icon_dance-disco:

aholbro1 06-07-2019 07:31 AM

Look very closely at it from both sides. Maybe squint a little. You'll likely find it is cocked the least bit sideways. Best to have 2 people, here, but can be done solo. Pull forward vigorously on the side that is furthest back, then try the spindle again. If you have assistance, one of you keep closing pressure on the spindle while the other tries to clear the jammed roof. When you finally get it closed with the hand-crank, UNPLUG THE MOTOR!!! before replacing the overhead console. Then find the other sunroof thread where Bob posted all the pertinent TSB's yesterday or the day before and read up on what you are facing. My bet is that at least one side of your tilt & slide assembly has broken bits, if not both sides. You'll then have to decide if an operable sunroof is worth the trouble and expense.

If the above method doesn't work, you'll need to drop the headliner and remove the sunroof assembly to sort it all out. I would not do that without reviewing the TSB's first.

steven300 06-16-2019 01:25 PM

i'll chime in with a useless opinion,so far I've replaced an xj6@xj8 {same} and an xk8 headliner.the xk8 was the easiest as there was no sunroof.i've grown to loath sunroof cars as its a major effort to service with very little benefit.its just so hard to work overhead ,and its not to say that I don't like fresh air as I own and drive 3 mopar convertibles.if they would have offered non sunroof xj8's I would rather have one.if they made them I don't think they were for the American market {bragging rights},steve.

Ashton Dimovski 06-17-2019 05:36 PM

Thank you all for your replies!

So here’s the update - the motor in the sunroof compartment burned out - try as I might, I couldn’t get the manual mechanism to move it and it forced me to drop the headliner.

When I dropped the headliner, I saw that the rear part of the sunroof has jammed on the back of the track. I greased the tracks and fabricated a small wooden jig and used a mallet to tap it back into the closed position. After I tapped a few centimetres, I was actually able to physically pull it the majority of the way, and tap it the remaining 5 centimetres into position.

After that I put the headliner back up and was able to use the manual mechanism to ensure it was in the correct position.

So all is well now, thanks everyone. All I have left to do is get a new motor....or just never use the sunroof again 😂😂😂

ablack 07-11-2019 02:20 PM

Ashton,

I had to replace the sunroof mechanism a few years back and have a spare motor you can have. If you are interested, feel free to email me at catblack@shaw.ca.

Andrew

Lady Penelope 07-12-2019 08:29 PM

Might look over the TSB's to ensure to tracks run freely before installing new motor