Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Tel-Mute function (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/tel-mute-function-156454/)

drmike 01-21-2016 05:36 AM

Tel-Mute function

I have a base model X300 3.2 model 1994/5 with its base radio. I know that on a fancier radio fitted to the XJR 4.0 model there is a sequence of buttons that turns off the Tel-Mute function. Is there a way of doing this for the radio I have?

I am plagued with the common problem that Tel-Mute is on 80% of the time despite having no phone and having disconnected the phone module in the boot. I'm not optimistic that it will fix the problem anyway but I'll try it.

I found one link suggesting it's dry joints in the PCB in the radio that causes this and other problems. But rather than going down that route I'd try a simpler method first.

Many thanks

Mike

caldercay 01-21-2016 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by drmike (Post 1386285)
I have a base model X300 3.2 model 1994/5 with its base radio. I know that on a fancier radio fitted to the XJR 4.0 model there is a sequence of buttons that turns off the Tel-Mute function. Is there a way of doing this for the radio I have?

I am plagued with the common problem that Tel-Mute is on 80% of the time despite having no phone and having disconnected the phone module in the boot. I'm not optimistic that it will fix the problem anyway but I'll try it.

I found one link suggesting it's dry joints in the PCB in the radio that causes this and other problems. But rather than going down that route I'd try a simpler method first.

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer, but I find this thread interesting - this link is to a specific post

drmike 01-21-2016 07:29 AM

I saw that post and I did wonder if it was available to me but I suspected not. I may drop in to the local dealer and ask but I am not holding my breath :)

280zx-turbo 01-22-2016 04:43 AM

Radio Setup:

Press TAPE IN and FM/AM at the same time Press within 15 secs one of the following buttons:
1 SEEK/SCAN function: USA / Australia
2 Tape head cleaning service reminder: on / off
3 Aerial cleaning service reminder: on / off
4 Telephone mute function: on / off
5 RDS: normal / mute

drmike 01-22-2016 04:47 AM

Thank you and I will try it Now!

drmike 01-22-2016 04:52 AM

Drat I just tried it but as the radio was displaying Tel-Mute at the time I don't think it was capable of displaying anything else and responding to this action. I'll have to wait until the radio drops the Tel-Mute and try then.

drmike 01-26-2016 03:26 AM

Well I got to turn the Tel-Mute off as the radio did start working for a while yesterday. Will it work again today? The tension mounts :)

drmike 01-26-2016 11:48 AM

One step forward, one step back.

I managed to turn off the Tel function so Tel-Mute no longer appears which is great.

But the antennae no longer goes up when the radio is switched on, it has a life of its own and yes Ant in ON in the settings.

It went up and down a few times and after 20 minutes decided it would stay up which was nice. I suspect it may not get it up in the morning though.

(And the Jag stalled for a second time while idling at lights - damn).