XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

transmission failure light ,stalling , and running rough

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission failure light ,stalling , and running rough

Ok

So here goes nothing , My friend owns a 1996 Jag XJ6 , while driving home on a 10hour drive he got stranded and the vehicle would not run . Stalling everytime he tried to move forward. We have taken all harness's apart under the hood , did continuaty checks from relays to ecm pins , to fuses,to sensors to parts . We swapped out the ECM , had a seized air pump , changed a transmission input speed sensor ,fuel filter,spark plugs and coil packs . ETC.... in previous years he has had the throttle body changed a a jag dealership, and tps changed out as well .

We cleaned the EGR port , and have basically checked everything we can think of .

Car is still showing transmission failure light and car is still running rough but able to run for a bit until the transmission gets warmed up then starts to run funky again . Seems like torque converter lock up but cant seem to find the issue .. Transmisson filter has been changed and transmisson has been flushed .

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT ..

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Our car had similar symptoms and the crank position sensor was failing. That causes the rough running because it controls the ignition and was giving bogus info to the computer that didnot jive with the trans, so that triggered the trans warning. A little over $100 from autozone, 15 minutes to change it. Hope this helps!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your car have any DTC's ?? CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ?? Because this car does not , and i find it weird that it stalls out and does not bring up an engine code .. Only tranny code, even with the scanner hooked up it shows nothing wrong even on a LIVE DATA feed

Old 03-23-2012, 08:05 AM

No it didn't set any codes. If the crank sensor fails all it is doing is shutting off the ignition system. It started off as an occasional rough running, then after 2-3 months some hard starting. My friend the Snap On tech guy explained to me that the trans failure was the giveaway since the crank sensor and the trans sensor have to tell the computer the same data to be happy and what was happening was the computer saw the trans turning but the engine stationary since the crank sensor was failing.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Oh yeah, car had about 92000 miles when it failed. The wire from the sensor forms a bit of a loop and rests against the engine and had a small bit of frayed shielding where the two wires came out. I could fiddle with the wire and get it to run, but not consistantly. The sensor only fits 95-97 models so it was hard to find for any price locally, new or used, so I ended up ordering from Autozone and it arrived in 4 days. If you can find another 95-97 it is an easy swap if the other owner will let you borrow their sensor to try.