XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Use CD Stacker Cable For Power Amp Signal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:13 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Use CD Stacker Cable For Power Amp Signal?

I'm not using the stock Jaguar head unit or rear mounted CD changer any more. Stripping back the ends of the cable that used to run between them, I have identified the wires that were used for the audio signal (a red and white wire wrapped in a braided return).

I have a new aftermarket head unit, and I was thinking that I might install a power amp in the trunk to run a subwoofer.

Usually that would involve running a double RCA cable from the new head unit's sub pre-out jacks to the power amp in the trunk. I'd rather not have to tear apart the car to lay new wiring, so would I be able to use the abovementioned signal wires in the Jaguar CD changer cable?

They used to carry a line level audio signal from the changer to the stock head unit, so they should be fine for carrying a line level audio signal from the aftermarket unit to the subwoofer power amp, right?

EDIT: Also, when installing a power amp, is there any trigger wire that has to go between it and the head unit for switching it on and off?

Last edited by Oubadah; 07-15-2010 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Also, when installing a power amp, is there any trigger wire that has to go between it and the head unit for switching it on and off?"

Typically, yes.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 AM

Oh, right. I found it. I already had it going to the power aerial line in my DIY harness. I'll split the trigger, and have it also attached to one of the other lines in the CD changer cable.

I also posted my original question on a general car audio forum, and they said my proposition will work. That'll save me a lot of trouble.

I've also know how to access all the tweeters now, so all that remains is to find the point where the speaker wires split, and find a decent component speaker set that will fit in the Jag's odd sized holes.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oubadah
Oh, right. I found it. I already had it going to the power aerial line in my DIY harness. I'll split the trigger, and have it also attached to one of the other lines in the CD changer cable.

I also posted my original question on a general car audio forum, and they said my proposition will work. That'll save me a lot of trouble.

I've also know how to access all the tweeters now, so all that remains is to find the point where the speaker wires split, and find a decent component speaker set that will fit in the Jag's odd sized holes.
So to clearify, you can use the power cord for the powered sub? Also how do you access the tweeter wires? thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Chavid92
So to clearify, you can use the power cord for the powered sub? Also how do you access the tweeter wires? thanks!
Power cord? I'm talking about using the signal wires for the pre-amped sub outputs from the head unit. You don't want to use those wires for power amped signals ie. as speaker wires (and I'm also using one of the data/control wires for the relay trigger for turning on the power amp). I can take a photo to clarify if you want. let me know...

An the tweeters - do you want to know how to remove them to access their wires?

to access the tweeter you need to prise up the centre piece of the
windscreen vent, then I think there may be a screw or two
underneath, and then the main parts of the vents will slide towards
the middle and lift out

Old 07-19-2010, 12:58 PM

sorry im a newbie at speaker stuff. a picture would be great.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 PM

[quote=Chavid92;224985]sorry im a newbie at speaker stuff. a picture would be great.[/quote
I see what your talking about. nevermind the photo. thanks tho.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Here is a photo anyway:

Use CD Stacker Cable For Power Amp Signal?-pk9nq.jpg

1: Twisted pair with braided shield/return (obviously the first choice for running line level (and below) audio signals.

2, 3 and 4: single wires, all the same gauge. I'll use one of these for trigger.

5: single core with brided shield/return.

6: heavy outer braid. If you're not going to be using this for anything in particular, you should simply earth it at one end so it can act as a decent shield.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:50 PM

thanks