Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   Valve guide replacement XJ6 VDP (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/valve-guide-replacement-xj6-vdp-215488/)

Jonathan Black 03-24-2019 05:17 PM

Valve guide replacement XJ6 VDP

Hello everyone this is my first post on a forum like this just an FYI in case I get anything wrong.

I have a 1997 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, 4L in-line 6 non turbo. I went to do an oil change on the engine and figured to change the spark plugs too since I was getting some misfiring. What I discovered was oil on the two spark plugs closest to the grill(I’m not sure what the piston order is).

I’m hoping it’s just leaky valve guides that I can replace and not piston rings because I really don’t want to tear down the whole engine to fix it. I have a lot of plans for this car but going that deep into the engine isn’t one of them.

I cant seem to find any videos or much of anything related to the engine itself which means I’d be going into this little project comepeltely blind.

Do any of you guys have pictures of advice on what I can do to get to these valve guides? Is the engine and overhead cam system? Are there specific things I need to look out for when going for these guides?

Any help at all would be mich appreciated thanks guys!

Don B 03-24-2019 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jonathan Black (Post 2044971)
I have a 1997 Jaguar XJ6 VDP, 4L in-line 6 non turbo. I went to do an oil change on the engine and figured to change the spark plugs too since I was getting some misfiring. What I discovered was oil on the two spark plugs closest to the grill(I’m not sure what the piston order is).

I’m hoping it’s just leaky valve guides that I can replace and not piston rings because I really don’t want to tear down the whole engine to fix it. I have a lot of plans for this car but going that deep into the engine isn’t one of them.

I cant seem to find any videos or much of anything related to the engine itself which means I’d be going into this little project comepeltely blind.

Do any of you guys have pictures of advice on what I can do to get to these valve guides? Is the engine and overhead cam system? Are there specific things I need to look out for when going for these guides?

Any help at all would be mich appreciated thanks guys!

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

I have moved your post from the forum for the X350 to the forum for the X300, which is the Jaguar factory project code for your 1997 XJ6. Here you will find knowledgeable owners of similar cars.

The most common cause of oil on the spark plugs is leaking spark plug tube seals, which are part of the camshaft cover gasket set. Replacing the cam cover gasket and spark plug tube seals is easy. The one problem you may encounter is erosion of the magnesium cam cover around one or more of the plug tubes, but often you can see signs of this erosion before you even remove the cover, by inspecting the plug tubes. The gasket set is affordable from any of our forum sponsors; be sure to get the main cover gasket, the six spark plug tube/well seals, and new seals for the cover screws (I can't recall how many there are off the top of my head, but easy to count them on your cover).

Also, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don