Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   valve timing tool (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/valve-timing-tool-212232/)

charlie.p 12-29-2018 05:26 PM

valve timing tool

Hi, I need to re-do the valve timing on my 96 XJR6 as I am replacing the chains and guides. Accordingly I need the factory tool 18G 1433/A to ensure that the cams are in the right place. I just read about somebody who didn't and bent four valves!
I am hoping somebody has one and can scan it so I have a template to make one. The cost of buying a new one is ridiculous as I will only use it once....I hope!
thanks for reading
Charlie

Lady Penelope 12-29-2018 11:08 PM

XJREngineer had a different way of determining TDC for the #1 cylinder with a mark different then the open tooth on the crankshaft sensor target

He had a way of seeing the position of the X valve with the cam chain and valve cover still installed ( not your situation )

Keeping in mind the crankshaft will rotate around 2 turns for each camshaft rotation

XJRengineer 12-30-2018 10:50 AM

Lady Penelope is referring to the process of distinguishing TDC firing cyl No.1 from TDC non-firing on Cyl No. 1 by checking the inlet cam positions.

However, your requirement is for a camshaft setting tool. You can buy a reproduction part in the US on ebay for $40 and get it shipped to Australia. You would struggle to get one made for that price.

Lady Penelope 12-30-2018 11:27 AM

Thanks XJREngineer ,

I thought you had a different timing mark around the crankshaft geared ring

I have not looked for it myself

charlie.p 12-30-2018 05:31 PM

Thanks Lady Penelope and XJR engineer for all your prompt help. I purchased the tool on Ebay as suggested.

JensenHealey 12-31-2018 10:21 PM

Can someone please tell me what search terms I might use on ebay to find this tool?
Is it as simple as "Jaguar timing chain tool" ?

XJRengineer 01-01-2019 08:53 AM

I think that I used a similar combination of words in my search . Just be sure not to get any tools for an XK engine by mistake.

Lady Penelope 01-01-2019 09:32 AM

XJREngineer ,

You are the best man for this question asked last week by JensenHealey if the AJ16 engine is a valve to piston head interference engine when the mechanical timing is off

He just purchased a X300 with 45 K miles with a " broken timing chain "

The further question is on putting it all back and the correct timing

In his pics the upper chain does not look bunched up

Could it have been the case that someone tinkered with the cam timing and was off shearing the woodruff key on the lower 2nd chain on the crankshaft and the solution in a best case is replacing the valves , stem seals , and woodruff key after cleaning the old key debris

The harmonic balancer is already removed

The important part is the timing as the Jaguar doc just says # 1 TDC

This can easily be done as both valves on the #1 are closed but I thought you mentioned a different mark other then the missing tooth on the crankshaft position sensor target ( your bracket Mod excluded ( brilliant ) )

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4da57c2368.png

Editing

i once tinkered with an engine ( Honda ) that was placed 30 degrees off by a previous mechanic on a timing belt change

JensenHealey 01-01-2019 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by XJRengineer (Post 2007858)
I think that I used a similar combination of words in my search . Just be sure not to get any tools for an XK engine by mistake.

I have searched on ebay for "jaguar timing tool" and it seems the only things listed there are for the 4.0L & 4.2L V8 motors and occasionally for some 2.7L diesel motor.
I do not see anything at all listed for the AJ6 or AJ16 engines.

Richardhw 01-02-2019 02:45 AM

AnttiM 01-02-2019 06:55 AM

[disregard as the op had the correct tool number on the first post based on TSB 12-57 ( [url]http://www.jagrepair.com/images/TSB/TSB2/XJS_XJ40/12Engine/12-57%20Poor%20Idle%20Quality.pdf ) the tool part nmber is 18G-1433/A , the tsb also specifies the procedure for resetting the timing]

_looks_ like the linked ebay item is the correct one

Coventry Foundation 01-02-2019 09:40 AM

You may find this tool as well as virtually any other factory tool along with holdings and policy at WWW.JCNA.COM and visit the tool loan program. We seem to have 8 of those at this time.

Coventry Foundation 01-06-2019 05:28 PM

If there is real interest we may place some of these on the Foundations E bay site--we have a few extra. The 18G-1433A and 18G-1433 may be used. Here are pics--the last tool is a mystery to us and we have searched!
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9fe3f8e2cb.jpg

JensenHealey 01-07-2019 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2010204)
If there is real interest we may place some of these on the Foundations E bay site--we have a few extra. The 18G-1433A and 18G-1433 may be used. Here are pics--the last tool is a mystery to us and we have searched!

I would definitely bid on one of them if the link to the ebay auctions were posted here when they were placed.
--
Steve

Coventry Foundation 01-07-2019 01:06 PM

Steve Jaguar Forums have been kind to the Foundation so we do not want to clutter things with with links to one time auctions. Further we do not auction we just post for sale and do take counter offers. If you are interested just E mail the Foundation and make a reasonable offer.
WWW.COVENTRYFOUNDATION.org.

JensenHealey 01-08-2019 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Coventry Foundation (Post 2010533)
Steve Jaguar Forums have been kind to the Foundation so we do not want to clutter things with with links to one time auctions. Further we do not auction we just post for sale and do take counter offers. If you are interested just E mail the Foundation and make a reasonable offer.
WWW.COVENTRYFOUNDATION.org.

I would like to do that but "WWW.COVENTRYFOUNDATION.org" is not a vaild email address.

Coventry Foundation 01-08-2019 08:55 AM

You are correct--it is the web site where as in most sites you will find a "contact us" tab --which is in the form of an E mail! I should have explained it better I guess.