Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   What did you do to your X300 today? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/what-did-you-do-your-x300-today-140806/)

al_roethlisberger 04-12-2015 09:31 PM

What did you do to your X300 today?

Sometimes this type of thread can be inspiring, so I thought I'd start...

• First, washed off the thick coat of yellow pine pollen :icon_confused:
  • Vacuumed out the interior and trunk
  • Re-glued carpet to trunk spare tire cover
  • Brushed some rust from the lower radiator bracket, touched it up
  • Installed new front bumper undertray and plastic rivets
  • Installed new SC belt, idler and tensioner pulley

....meant to install an "Andy Bracket" but found someone had already beat me to it! :D

Last weekend repaired the "jewel" lenses in the front & rear fog light switches, rebuilt instrument cluster and added some alloy gauge trim rings.

FrozenApple 04-13-2015 01:42 AM

Well some of the work i did lately on my XJR6 are...
  • Differencial Fluid Change
  • Parking Light Bulb Replacement
  • Supercharger Oil Change

Still need to change that god damn fuel filter, kind of failed last time lol but i'm gonna go down there again and try it next time.
also thinking of drain n fill the tranny since i do not know when it was last serviced.

AL NZ 04-13-2015 05:07 AM

today? Monday here in NZ
Went to work, drove it like I stole it in short bursts on the way there.
Chugged home at a steady 60mph to see what economy I could get - got 25mpg (imperial) over a 10 mile trip.
I am just enjoying having my XJR back after 8 weeks in the shop.
Andy has been very helpful. The saga is complex, but I think the car is almost sorted, just enjoying it finally (owned for 5 days, then 8 weeks off the road).
The manual gearbox has noisy bearings but that is a job that will keep.
The front brakes shudder from high speed stops so may need a skim or new rotors.
Headlining can wait.
thinking of changing off the XJR sport 17" wheels for 18" Asteroids which I prefer.

Grant Francis 04-13-2015 05:25 AM

Um, sold it.

Replaced it with the Black S Type, and the collector finally collected it.

al_roethlisberger 04-13-2015 07:19 AM

Yeah, fuel filter change is on my list as well. I have it on the bench in a box, just need to get around to it.

That and SC oil also.

overtheatlantic 04-13-2015 07:50 PM

I don't know whether you'll believe me, but fitting two microphones beneath the car trying to find out why I have spanish castanets underneath on overrun.

At first thought it might be a very noisy Rochester Valve (can't imagine why) but I've checked everything else, changed center bearing looked hard at everything else. Just finished wiring in and now raining hard. Hope tomorrows better.

aholbro1 04-13-2015 08:59 PM

What is "overrun?"

Compounder 04-13-2015 10:16 PM

Al....what are alloy gauge trim rings?

overtheatlantic 04-14-2015 11:24 AM

What is "overrun?"

Sorry aholbro1, should be deceleration, foot off throttle pedal. Hope that helps.
Better day today. Will go out soon to try.

al_roethlisberger 04-14-2015 04:16 PM

Alloy Instrument or Gauge Trim Rings

Originally Posted by Compounder (Post 1206006)
Al....what are alloy gauge trim rings?

Here you go:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-rings-140338/

dagny747 04-15-2015 04:02 PM

New Wheels

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to go with another set of the original wheels after looking around at other styles. One set for the snows and one for the summer tires. the best deal I could find was at Rock Auto, $130/wheel. They are actually reconditioned, not new.

GatorJoe 04-15-2015 09:53 PM

Dagny747, dimple wheels look good. Let us know if you're happy with the finish.

al_roethlisberger 04-16-2015 11:20 AM

Seems like a good price. Wish I could find the XJR wheels refinished for that price, but they are just not common enough I guess. Mine aren't "bad" but it would be nice to get refreshed ones, or have mine done. ....perhaps one day :D

dagny747 04-17-2015 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by GatorJoe (Post 1207528)
Dagny747, dimple wheels look good. Let us know if you're happy with the finish.

I am happy with the finish, its called bright silver and is definitely painted. So, its not the silver you would get if you refinished the wheels by polishing and then putting a clearcoat on it. That said, they are straight and look good, I believe the color is the same or similar to what you would buy if you got the wheel paint for BMW or Mercedes wheels. As you can see from the picture the back has the OEM PN on it.

FrozenApple 04-17-2015 12:11 PM

**** i swear i have the weirdest problem lately. I bought a brand new remote from SNG Barrat last week because my old remote had broken buttons and super weak range. The car is like totally tripping out, when i put the car into learning mode it doesn't seem to pick up the new remote signal at all? and if i don't do anything it exits learning mode after 15 second so that would mean it would erase all previous remote ? but that was not the case... my broken remote would still work, and if i try to program the old remote in and it actually accepts it . WTF! and yes they are the same frequency which is 315mhz, im like so ****ing lost. any ideas? or is this a dealership visit to program with pdu?

theJPster 04-18-2015 01:44 PM

Today I got a four wheel alignment done. It was miles out!

Just have to wear the tyres straight again now.

al_roethlisberger 04-18-2015 05:54 PM

Fixed a little, found a little more to do....

Changed the spark plugs, installed correct Champion RC12YC, cleaned MAF.

Wire brushed off some rust from the coil and injector cover bolts and resprayed with some silver paint.

In the process I discovered that the third (counting from the front of the engine, not sure how Jag numbers the cylinders) spark plug well had a good amount of oil in it. So I guess replacing the valve cover gaskets is in order in the near future.

I also tore two of the paper coil gaskets (not the insulators) so will need to pick up a set of those. Need to find the part# for those gaskets I guess....

But overall a nice quick tune-up afternoon :D

Scarecrow 04-18-2015 07:29 PM

Changed the brake fluid. Going to clean and condition all the leather in the interior tomorrow.

seahawkjag 04-25-2015 09:39 PM

Over the past month or so I've changed the water pump and thermostat, O2 sensor (bank 1 Sensor 2) removed the P0139 code and extinguished dreaded CEL, changed the EGR Valve, vacuumed the drove it to Portland OR and back to Seattle.

On my return trip from Ohio the first week of this April I was pleased to discover the speed limit in South Dakota had been raised from 75 to 80 mph.

al_roethlisberger 04-25-2015 10:10 PM

Man, would love an 80MPH speed limit here, but at least most of my hour drive home is at 70MPH posted :D