XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Replaced front lights

Cleaned the four headlight lens and upgraded the bulbs to:
Philips Crystal Vision ultra for the mains and bights. Sylvania Zevo LED's for the parking light bulbs. Major improvement for $70 all in!

Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM

Replaced the low fluid sensor in the windshield washer reservoir. It was fairly easy once I removed the lower shield and moved the air tube from the grille to the wheel well out of the way. The only problem is lowering the reservoir with a gallon of fluid in it. Used a jack stand to support it. $70 and it is sorted.

Old 01-20-2017, 05:29 PM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

Last night I changed out some blown dashboard bulbs and swapped in a correct button panel with a traction control off button. Today I filled up the tank with a bottle of Techron. Damn it flies now, and the supercharger screams with a new voice.

Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts

Replaced my rear brake pads today. Still looks like the fronts have a few months to go but I am getting a slight squeal from the right front on heavy braking so it looks like the brake hardware may need some lubricating or replacement.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:34 AM
Received 186 Likes on 101 Posts

Having recently replaced front top & bottom ball joints & upper wishbone bushes I noticed my drivers side shock absorber (originals I presumed) not looking too good. The upper built in bump stop was shot, had gone powdery & not much of it left & the upper bushes were not of the original type, merely generic rubber style.
The bushes were replaced prior to my purchase & attached photo shows that mechanic (not impressed with ) had assembled them with the bottom washer incorrectly fitted plus the incorrect type of bushes as can be seen in photo.
Might just add that I replaced them with original specification green Bilstein 24 -018630 obtained from Michigan Trucksprings, Saiginaw USA & they were very reasonably priced plus received by me here in Australia in just 6 days.
Parts from our capital cities can take longer here in Australia.
I will attack the other side tomorrow. Looking forward to an improvement in front end behaviour.

John Herbert

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your X300 today?-upper-mount-front-shocks-medium-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
aacpa15215 (02-06-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts

New bulbs in the center console; I bought a bunch of these and reused the original sockets and color caps. Works a treat.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 82 Likes on 54 Posts

Put another 20 ltres of petrol in hoping to dilute the diesel I put in by mistake.

Old 01-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Oil change, filter, new coolant tank cap, air filter... the basics

Old 01-31-2017, 03:08 PM

Replaced leaking Power Steering supply and return hoses.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by crvols
Replaced leaking Power Steering supply and return hoses.
Yep, been there, done that

I also put heat shielding tubing over the hoses as it has been theorized that the proximity of the hot exhaust shortened the hoses' lifespan and caused them to leak/weep especially considering they have almost no pressure on the supply/return to the reservoir.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by John Herbert
Having recently replaced front top & bottom ball joints & upper wishbone bushes I noticed my drivers side shock absorber (originals I presumed) not looking too good. The upper built in bump stop was shot, had gone powdery & not much of it left & the upper bushes were not of the original type, merely generic rubber style.
The bushes were replaced prior to my purchase & attached photo shows that mechanic (not impressed with ) had assembled them with the bottom washer incorrectly fitted plus the incorrect type of bushes as can be seen in photo.
Might just add that I replaced them with original specification green Bilstein 24 -018630 obtained from Michigan Trucksprings, Saiginaw USA & they were very reasonably priced plus received by me here in Australia in just 6 days.
Parts from our capital cities can take longer here in Australia.
I will attack the other side tomorrow. Looking forward to an improvement in front end behaviour.

John Herbert
On my list too. I replaced the rears a couple years ago (wow time flies) but I know the upper bushings on the front shocks are shot, and I suspect the inner bump stop is too.

The real crime is that to replace the bump stop and shock bushings approaches the cost of the entire shock.

I've got the four black Uro upper shock bushings on the bench for now. Not sure if I'll just replace the shocks, but they get pricey at ~150USD each as I recall.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:18 PM

Yes, I read the posts but, I think with the few miles I will be putting on this car, the hoses should last some while. May still do it but, chose not to at this time. Thanks for the good info.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:33 AM
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Replaced F/L Indicator.

I replaced the front left indicator today after noticing a couple of weeks ago my existing one was smashed. I couldn't recall any incident that would have caused this damage but was told, they are badly positioned and will recieave minor damage from stones then will slowly detiriate.
All in all a five min Job. Just wanted too share with all the guys in Australia that I ordered a new F/L indicator from SNG Barratt UK for $117 AUD including economy postage, much less than anyone I rang locally was offering for even a second-hand one in good condition.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MikeyB10
I replaced the front left indicator today after noticing a couple of weeks ago my existing one was smashed. I couldn't recall any incident that would have caused this damage but was told, they are badly positioned and will recieave minor damage from stones then will slowly detiriate.
All in all a five min Job. Just wanted too share with all the guys in Australia that I ordered a new F/L indicator from SNG Barratt UK for $117 AUD including economy postage, much less than anyone I rang locally was offering for even a second-hand one in good condition.

Yeah, those lamps seem to eventually catch every pepple and the plastic isn't very tough so they get cracked. It's too bad Jaguar didn't make them more durable as the orange lens material is pretty thin.

So when I go to the salvage yard I pull them as a matter of course if they aren't really messed up, although every one so far has had at least a hairline crack and is somewhat sandblasted. So I have a bucket of them.

Fortunately they are still available new... shockingly (I guess they sell enough to warrant making them, see above) .... but aren't cheap at about $120 as I recall.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Techron Works. I did use it and engine is running so smooth.

Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by twack
Put another 20 ltres of petrol in hoping to dilute the diesel I put in by mistake.
My daughter did the same on our 2005 Toyota a few years back. Had tank and fuel system cleaned by Toyota Dealer and car is running very well. You will have to go thru a few tanks of gas. Hang in there.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:19 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing spectacular.... changed plugs and new coil gaskets, and few other minor engine bay nits this weekend such as replacing those plastic panel clips that always fall out with license plate nylon nuts.

But it does idle and run smoother under hard acceleration. So it needed plugs.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Had a misfire code in #6 cylinder and have been researching COP's. Decided to change the NGK's with Champions as a first step and found oil in the #4 plug hole. Ordered complete gasket set for Valve cover/plug seals and cleaned the MAF Sensor as routine maintenance.
Does the fun ever end with these cars?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:30 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

heater stopped working,reverse flush on the heater core,still not working,bypassed the heater valve assembly,still not working,opened the heater pump and found the brushes were completely worn out,gone,only the springs remained,so i cleaned up

all the residue and ordered replacement brushes,they should arrive in a few days,and hopefully every thing will work again.

Old 03-03-2017, 10:35 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Recently replaced valve cover/plug seal gaskets (had oil in 1st plug), plugs and coils. Runs smooth now but still have to address an issue with fuel system (pump going out or clogged filter? Occasionally "stalls" as if no fuel, then recovers)

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?