XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What did you do to your X300 today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by AL NZ
Alb,
are you saying the new intercooler waterpump alone has lowered your intake temps that much?
I think I read that the old Hella one pumps 7 gallons a minute and the Bosch pumps 11 gallons. Obviously an old Hella that has been under a hot XJR bonnet for 20 yrs may not be cranking 7 gallons a minute any more, so a new Bosch may be many times better than a tired cooked Hella one

that might make a big difference to my XJR which still has a hella

I had the same question after reading that post, but am suspecting his original pump wasn't pumping at all anymore..... will be curious to hear.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Sorry, I realized my last post was kind of confusing to read. I need to proofread more often

but anyways, when I first picked up my XJR, the hella pump was still working so my intake temps were reading about 50-60 degrees above ambient temperatures (which still leads me to suspect that it wasn't pumping to it's full potential to begin with now that I think about it)
Back in October I started to notice my intake temps would rise to about 220f degrees and I thought it was my MAF sensor acting all weird. After replacing the MAF I still had the high temperature issue so I kind of just left it alone since I thought it was a sensor acting up.

Well last week, I installed the upgraded lower pulley and after driving in the mountains for a bit in about 90 degree weather, I started to hear my supercharger rattling. I thought the bearings had finally gone bad. So I just removed the supercharger belt and kept driving with a major loss in power and torque. That's when I realized my intake temps were only reading about 5-10 degrees above ambient temps. So it got me thinking that my intake temp sensor isn't bad but those readings are really my temps.
After making a post on here about the hot intake temps when the supercharger belt is installed, Jan mentioned my intercooler pump may not be working which I totally forgot about.

When I went to check if it was pumping correctly, I took off the inlet hose to the intake manifold intercooler and put it into an empty jug then turned the key to the second position for about 4 seconds. Nothing ended up in the water jug which meant my intercooler pump wasn't working.
Ordered the Bosch 002 Ford OEM pump and I've had it installed since yesterday morning and now my temps read about 30-40 degrees above ambient temp.

So comparing to the old hella pump when it was "working" to the new bosch pump, it seems to have improved cooling by about 10-20 degrees

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (06-18-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 04:28 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

I took the long way home the other night.
It was dark, winter, and the normal 15 km commute was moderate traffic doing about 80 km/h.
I detoured a different way, about 30 km, includng 15 km of twisty empty roads. Drove the XJR about 7-8 tenths, up to 160 km/h at one point, but mostly 80-140.

It is a route I know well in daylight, but not at night, so I was having careful fun. The car went like a trooper - I really enjoy having a big powerful manual car. The drive was the perfect antidote to a day at work

Old 06-26-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Can imagine. Such powerfull ease.
I love our Sub's, though, keep on boxering AND keep on going.
There must be some good philosiphy in the base there.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:54 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

And my X300 has a towbar now.

Theproudowner

Old 06-28-2015, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Fitted my new Lloyd's "Luxe" mats in their "ebony" color that the family bought me for Father's Day It isn't an exact match, but was the closest to the "warm charcoal" interior and carpet.

Also changed my supercharger oil... have had that on the "to do" list since last summer, but just never took the 30 minutes to do it for some reason.

Gave the XJR a quick bath too.

Would have done a few more things, but had to change the radiator in the Roadmaster this weekend as well.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 PM

After my accident back in April with a boulder and my XJR, I've finally gotten the original x300 bumper painted and installed. Also added two 7" auxiliary fans for the intercooler.
Also the lower mesh grill I ordered from a fellow forum member has been installed. It was actually delivered the same day I got into my accident so I never had the chance to install it until now.

RichardSe (09-19-2022)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AlbBolivar
After my accident back in April with a boulder and my XJR, I've finally gotten the original x300 bumper painted and installed. Also added two 7" auxiliary fans for the intercooler.
Also the lower mesh grill I ordered from a fellow forum member has been installed. It was actually delivered the same day I got into my accident so I never had the chance to install it until now.

Looks great, so glad you were able to put it all back together after that horrible luck hitting the boulder on your "shake out" run right after installing your new bushings!

So, where did you get that lower grill mesh insert? I've been looking around for a long time for a lower for the X300, but have never been able to find one.

Did/are you able to do any before/after intercooler temps now that you've added the fans?

I've thought about adding water misters, which have shown some noticeable impact reducing intercooler temps. Also I am looking at finding the oil cooler that is on non-USA cars and adapting that as a secondary intercooler. Add the higher capacity Bosch pump, and intake temps may drop quite a bit, maybe enough to really allow the upsized lower supercharger pulley to be worth doing.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

It was actually delivered the same day I got into my accident so I never had the chance to install it until now.
That was sort of a bad karma moment.

Glad the car is back on the road.

What size of tires are you running? They look just the right width.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Looks great, so glad you were able to put it all back together after that horrible luck hitting the boulder on your "shake out" run right after installing your new bushings!

So, where did you get that lower grill mesh insert? I've been looking around for a long time for a lower for the X300, but have never been able to find one.

Did/are you able to do any before/after intercooler temps now that you've added the fans?

I've thought about adding water misters, which have shown some noticeable impact reducing intercooler temps. Also I am looking at finding the oil cooler that is on non-USA cars and adapting that as a secondary intercooler. Add the higher capacity Bosch pump, and intake temps may drop quite a bit, maybe enough to really allow the upsized lower supercharger pulley to be worth doing.

The lower mesh grill I actually got from plums (the user I quoted down there)
I know Mina Gallery sells the lower mesh insert but after my bad quality experience with them with their cold air intake, I don't want to spend that much money on their grill inserts anymore.

It is getting slightly hotter and hotter as the days go by here in Southern California but before installing the fans, I did experience an average of 130-150 degrees for the intake temp with freeway driving, it does occasionally drop to about 120/122 and about 160-170degrees in twisting mountain driving with ambient temps of about 75degrees
After installing the fans I was only able to drive the car yesterday about 40 miles with freeway driving but temps were about 100 degrees with extreme humidity. My intake temps read about 140/150 so on the high side but I'm sure the weather was affecting it because my usual engine temp of about 180-188 was at 205

I did install an adjustable thermostatic fan control switch that can activate anywhere from 0-120 degrees. The fans stay on even after shutting the car off since it's pulling power from the factory cooling fans but only stay on for about 30 seconds after driving 20 miles in 100 degree weather. So the fans do cool the intercooler pretty quickly from 150 to about 60-70 degrees (I set the dial to about halfway on the fan controller)

I think these intake readings are ok because I do have the upgraded lower pulley installed now.
I am also thinking about an oil cooler or additional transmission cooler possibly mounted underneath the front mounted intercooler but that's a project for later on. Have you found any non US spec oil coolers for sale anywhere?

Originally Posted by plums
That was sort of a bad karma moment.

Glad the car is back on the road.

What size of tires are you running? They look just the right width.
It really was but I'm glad it didn't come in the mail a day sooner or else it would've been a total waste.
Tire size is 255/40/18

Old 06-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

The lower mesh grill I actually got from plums (the user I quoted down there)
I know Mina Gallery sells the lower mesh insert but after my bad quality experience with them with their cold air intake, I don't want to spend that much money on their grill inserts anymore.
Ah, does Plums make/sell those?

From the photo it looks like a good match to the upper XJR woven grills, is it?

It is getting slightly hotter and hotter as the days go by here in Southern California but before installing the fans, I did experience an average of 130-150 degrees for the intake temp with freeway driving, it does occasionally drop to about 120/122 and about 160-170degrees in twisting mountain driving with ambient temps of about 75degrees
After installing the fans I was only able to drive the car yesterday about 40 miles with freeway driving but temps were about 100 degrees with extreme humidity. My intake temps read about 140/150 so on the high side but I'm sure the weather was affecting it because my usual engine temp of about 180-188 was at 205

I did install an adjustable thermostatic fan control switch that can activate anywhere from 0-120 degrees. The fans stay on even after shutting the car off since it's pulling power from the factory cooling fans but only stay on for about 30 seconds after driving 20 miles in 100 degree weather. So the fans do cool the intercooler pretty quickly from 150 to about 60-70 degrees (I set the dial to about halfway on the fan controller)

I think these intake readings are ok because I do have the upgraded lower pulley installed now.
I am also thinking about an oil cooler or additional transmission cooler possibly mounted underneath the front mounted intercooler but that's a project for later on. Have you found any non US spec oil coolers for sale anywhere?
No, I haven't been able to source one of the non-US XJR oil coolers and mounting brackets yet. I think you may be able to still buy them new, but the pricing I saw was ridiculous. So I'm keeping an eye out for one on UK eBay or similar.

So, does the ECU report post supercharger air intake temp, or just pre-supercharger? I think post SC air temp and intercooler water temp would be the real telling statistic for modifications like fans, water misters, extra/larger intercoolers.

I assume the temps you are reporting are from the air intake temp sensor pre-supercharger?

Old 06-29-2015, 10:49 PM

No, I haven't been able to source one of the non-US XJR oil coolers and mounting brackets yet. I think you may be able to still buy them new, but the pricing I saw was ridiculous. So I'm keeping an eye out for one on UK eBay or similar.

So, does the ECU report post supercharger air intake temp, or just pre-supercharger? I think post SC air temp and intercooler water temp would be the real telling statistic for modifications like fans, water misters, extra/larger intercoolers.

I assume the temps you are reporting are from the air intake temp sensor pre-supercharger?

I'm not exactly sure if he makes/sells them. I think he only had one on hand at the time I purchased it since I was second in line and the person ahead backed out of the sale.

As for the oil cooler, where does it pull the oil feed from? I've heard of sandwich oil cooler adapters that fit on the oil filter

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure where the air intake sensor is located. I was already under the impression that it was located in the MAF so when I was getting high temp readings, I assumed my MAF was bad but replacing it didn't fix the issue. I'm hoping it is post supercharger though since that would be the most accurate reading right before ignition...

Old 06-30-2015, 12:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

No. I only had the one unit acquired as part of the entire stainless grill package.

Afaik, the lower you see is factory since the mesh was an exact match between
the two including the crimp marks at the intersections. There is also the rubber
gasket which I doubt an aftermarket supplier would take the trouble to have
molded in small volumes.

The upper stainless surround and mesh may become available depending
on whether I can get it fitted to the next later model.

al_roethlisberger (06-30-2015)
Old 06-30-2015, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
No. I only had the one unit acquired as part of the entire stainless grill package.

Afaik, the lower you see is factory since the mesh was an exact match between
the two including the crimp marks at the intersections. There is also the rubber
gasket which I doubt an aftermarket supplier would take the trouble to have
molded in small volumes.

The upper stainless surround and mesh may become available depending
on whether I can get it fitted to the next later model.

Interesting, I didn't think/know there ever was a factory lower grill as an option for the X300. I know Mina makes an upper/lower set, but I agree with the comments above about their reputation. Any chance it was from Mina? They're the only ones I've seen making lowers for the X300.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not exactly sure if he makes/sells them. I think he only had one on hand at the time I purchased it since I was second in line and the person ahead backed out of the sale.

As for the oil cooler, where does it pull the oil feed from? I've heard of sandwich oil cooler adapters that fit on the oil filter

Honestly, I'm not exactly sure where the air intake sensor is located. I was already under the impression that it was located in the MAF so when I was getting high temp readings, I assumed my MAF was bad but replacing it didn't fix the issue. I'm hoping it is post supercharger though since that would be the most accurate reading right before ignition...
Regarding the oil cooler question, see the following thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...er-why-141163/

Basically the lines attach to the base of your oil filter housing, which by default supports the cooler lines. However on US models those line connections are blocked with a U shaped fixture to bypass the connections and sealed with some O-rings. BTW, those O-rings are one of the few 'notorious' oil leak spots on the X300 as I recall and fortunately the fix is super easy... just replace the O-rings if it leaks

A quick search will find some threads on that subject and illustrations too.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had all four wheels laser aligned....

The workshop provided a print out of before and after readings. All wheels needed adjustment.

The difference on the road is huge. The car feels more sure-footed and sporty and it no longer wanders on uneven road surfaces. It is much more stable at speed on the motorway too.

I have replaced all four tyres a few weeks back and had noticed that the old fronts were both worn on their inner shoulders, suggesting a toe-out condition existed. I checked the condition of the ball joints and track rod ends along with the bushes and wheel bearings. All was good, so i got the 4-wheel alignment done. Sixty quid well spent in my opinion!

Old 07-03-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

Rowland,
can you post the print-out of the final numbers after alignment?
Then we know what's good.
I have had several wheel alignments done on my Daimler, because first the front suspension bushes were replaced, then soon after, the steering rack had a leak so was off.
Some alignments are better than others!

Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

AL NZ, here are the before and after print outs....

You will notice that although the alignment is now good all round, the rear wheels have an out-of-limits positive camber condition.

A few months back I overhauled the rear suspension and fitted new shocks, some bushes etc.... I also fitted thicker spring seats to slightly raise the rear end of the car to allow for carrying all the family plus luggage. Raising the rear suspension in this way seems to have caused the positive camber situation. I had not realised this, because it is not apparent to the naked eye.

I think there should be a shim between the diff output shaft flange and the driveshaft flange.... If there is, I will try taking it out and get new readings done to see what difference this makes. It should pull the rear wheels in at the top and hopefully create a more desirable camber.

Initial readings before adjustment....

Final readings after adjustment....

Before and after readings in table form....

haddock (07-04-2015)
Old 07-04-2015, 09:28 PM
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

finished off the throttle body cleaning so the car now idles like it should. I have the driver seat computer sitting on my desk as I type this. Anybody re flashing these nowadays?

Old 07-11-2015, 07:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my new headliner installed a couple weeks ago and installed new front wheel bearings last night.
What a difference the new bearings make! The car feels so much smoother now. FYI, the wheel bearing seals are a real pain to get seated properly.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your X300 today?