XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Began as rough idle; now dead! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Began as rough idle; now dead! Please help!

About a week ago, I started up my 97 VDP in the morning. It started quickly but was a bit shaky. After 3 - 5 seconds, it quited down and no problem the rest of the day. I live in Southern Florida and this was on a cooler/wet morning, so I just chalked it up to moisture. The next morning the same thing. The next few days, no problem whatsoever. A week after the initial rough start, it started fine. I was on my way to work, about five miles from home, when the car suddenly started losing power (as if it weren't getting fuel). There was knocking and shaking and the power would surge and dissapate. I quickly pulled in to a gas station. Left the car there for a day. Came back after work. Car started up no problem, but when I gave it gas, it lost power and started shaking. It seemed as though the more gas I gave it, the more it wanted to stall. Was able to get it started, but when I put it in gear and gave it gas, it just stalled. Had it sitting in my drive way for the past two weeks. Now I cannot even get it started. I read in another post to try cranking it for a while (possibly to burn off fuel in the event it is flooded). I cranked it for two minutes continuously this morning; it felt like it wanted to turn over but just wouldn't. What confuses me is that when it was still running, giving it gas caused it to lose power (contrary to what you'd expect). Where do I start?