XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Wobbling Crank Pulley?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 257 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Wobbling Crank Pulley?

Hey Guys,

Unexpected find on my project XJ6
It seems that the pulley for the alternator on the harmonic balancer is wobbling? I have read about the possibility of the thing delaminating but was curious as to what would cause to wobble?

Anyone else seen this?
I guess I need to have it rebuilt is my assumption.

Bernie

Old 04-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts

That's the inner one, right? Sounds like yours is a little beyond "making the chirping noise." You can mark it to be sure, but if you see it wobble, that's pretty much it. When I had mine rebuilt last summer, nobody seemed to have one in stock other than $800+ new ones. I think about $150 or less for the rebuild but you'll be without for the better part of the week.

If you can't abide the down time, maybe try to find one at a breaker to send off for refurbishment.....or put it on your car and send the original off...but that exposes you to making the change twice, and once is not so much fun, can't imagine it would be better the second time around.

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-29-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 PM

The downtime is fine as its a project car.

I am perplexed as to what is wrong with it?
I am used to these pullies being pretty strong and never having an issue with anything attached to the crank.

What goes south on these things?

Bernie

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

there is a polymer wrap between the inner pulley and the rest of the part. It breaks down. First time I'd ever heard of such was several years ago when my diesel Excursion refused to wear a belt anymore (and had no suspenders) at about 100k mi. Then a year or so later, the same thing happened on the 03 S-type. XJ started making noise last April, and I had it refurbed in July. Once the noise starts, you've got quite a while, several thousand miles, actually. But if yours is already visibly wobbly, I'd say you are toward the back end of it's useful life!

The AJ16 is a bit more forgiving than the other two, because the wobbly pulley is sandwiched between two rigidly connected parts. On the Exc and S-t 3.0L, the wobbly was out at the end in the free air.
Here's my experience at getting it off, and at the end there is a link to my re-installation:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roject-100618/
Should be a walk in the park given what you've already accomplished on the Birthday Jag!

Last edited by aholbro1; 04-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
there is a polymer wrap between the inner pulley and the rest of the part. It breaks down. First time I'd ever heard of such was several years ago when my diesel Excursion refused to wear a belt anymore (and had no suspenders) at about 100k mi. Then a year or so later, the same thing happened on the 03 S-type. XJ started making noise last April, and I had it refurbed in July. Once the noise starts, you've got quite a while, several thousand miles, actually. But if yours is already visibly wobbly, I'd say you are toward the back end of it's useful life!

The AJ16 is a bit more forgiving than the other two, because the wobbly pulley is sandwiched between two rigidly connected parts. On the Exc and S-t 3.0L, the wobbly was out at the end in the free air.
Ok, I get it now.
So there is degradable material in the design................great.

I guess I will get it off there and have it rebuilt.
I thought I saw a link to a shop that does them relatively cheaply.

B

Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

I used damper-doc (very pleased with service and timing) but there are reports of someone up in the Northwest that is reputable and considerably cheaper. Search Motorcarman's posts, I think he mentioned him...or maybe Doug Dwyer?

Old 04-30-2014, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts
Default You're not alone.

Hello Bernie, Aholbro & co!

Let's call it "The Silence of the De-Lams." My VDP had no belt squealing at all in the past. A few days ago I noticed an intermittent vibration and some awful grumbling from the engine. It sounds very bad with the engine at idle, as if the bottom end is getting ready to fall out! Above idle, the noise goes away and the engine is very smooth. The effect was worse when the engine is cold.

The low rumbling is accompanied by a total lack of charging voltage, until driving at speed. Then voltage comes up and all is well!

At first I suspected the alternator (while still confused about the rumble), and proceeded to execute a swap with the XJ6. When I removed the alternator belt, I found that I could easily slide the grooved part of the crank pulley by hand. So I knew that the alternator swap would get me nowhere. I was right!

So the car is not really driveable, since it will only be using battery power when at idle. I believe the air conditioning power draw stalled the engine once, as I came to a stop. And the sound of that vibration is truly awful. I really didn't need this to happen right now!
Very interesting method to removing that crank bolt...
Good luck Bernie. Keep up the good work!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
I used damper-doc (very pleased with service and timing) but there are reports of someone up in the Northwest that is reputable and considerably cheaper. Search Motorcarman's posts, I think he mentioned him...or maybe Doug Dwyer?

Dale Manufacturing

new home page H.B.

Don't be put off by the horrible web page. I've used this company a few times; good service

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
aholbro1 (04-30-2014), razorboy (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by razorboy
Ok, I get it now.
So there is degradable material in the design................great.
If it makes you feel any better I'll mention that this type of balancer has been an industry standard for decades.

And they've be delaminating for decades as well

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
razorboy (04-30-2014)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Very interesting method to removing that crank bolt...
Many have reported using the starter as a matter-of-course. For me it didn't work out. Take note, though, if you have anything else to do to it, not requiring a start-up, while you are awaiting your refurbished damper's return is an excellent opportunity! Unfortunately, my planning did not account for, nor protect against, an inability to remove the damper....