XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 XJR - Refitting throttle-body hose!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default X300 XJR - Refitting throttle-body hose!

Dear fellow x300ers,

I'm almost through with the thottle-body cleaning job that I started last weekend (I used the "lift intake manifold/ intercooler with a spanner" method instead of complete removal of intercooler/ supercharger etc, and it worked pretty well!).

I've now re-installed the throttle body, and am somewhat stuck at refitting the corrugated hose (part 9 in the diagram) that connects the throttle body to the alloy air duct (part 6 in the diagram)

I bought a new hose, as the old one was looking a little rough, and the issue I have now is:

1) Once one end is attached to the throttlebody (the end marked '2' in the diagram), I can attach the hose to the alloy air-duct, but then have no way currently to position the alloy air-duct close enough to bolt and secure it to the intake manifold/ intercooler via the two screws.

2) I can first attached the alloy duct to the intake manifold/ intercooler with the two bolts, but have no way then to squeeze the corrugated hose enough to position the open end around the attachment on the air duct if the other end is attached to the throttle body.

It looks to me like the problem is the metal sleeve inside the hose (see pic), as I have already put this hose under compression for some time to remove the initial stiffness and allow it more flexibility for installation.

I was thinking to either remove this metal sleeve and install the corrugated hose without it (although this would allow more "turbulent air" into the throttle body) or insert into the corrugated hose a flexible silicon pipe instead of the metal piece.

Before thinking about that, does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this, or if I am completely missing something?

Attached Thumbnails X300 XJR -  Refitting throttle-body hose!-air-box.jpg   X300 XJR -  Refitting throttle-body hose!-20170331_180605898_ios.jpg   X300 XJR -  Refitting throttle-body hose!-20170325_115958812_ios.jpg  

Last edited by Ali Khalili; 03-31-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Can you get to it the hose from underneath the car for this final step?

...button everything else up, then climb under and connect/clamp the hose to the duct?

I'm very interested to hear how that goes as I'm doing this tomorrow morning.

BTW, I've never heard of the "I used the "lift intake manifold/ intercooler with a spanner" method", is there a thread covering that? I had intended to take everything except the SC off and while doing so give it all a good cleaning to get the old oil out and clean the backside of the intake valves.

Last edited by al_roethlisberger; 03-31-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:53 AM
Received 186 Likes on 101 Posts

You certainly can refit that hose from underneath, in fact the complete operation of taking off the throttle body & connecting hose can be completed from underneath after removing the oil filter & intercooler strut.
Not an easy operation but possible, just requires the usual patience & understanding one acquires from working on Jaguars for long enough & being prepared to work from underneath not just topside.
Do it right also & place the tube inside the hose, it is possible.

John Herbert
(1996 Jaguar XJR & previously 1982 XJ-S & XJ6 Series 111)

Old 04-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 514 Likes on 366 Posts

Whichever way you tackle it, I do think the metal pipe is required. Could the hose not collapse without it?

Old 04-02-2017, 03:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys!

I did try to position the hose onto the alloy air-duct (while that was bolted to the intercooler/ intake manifold) from under the car, but didn't remove the oil-filter nor intercooler strut so I will give that a try next.

@ al_roethlisberger - The method I used for the thorttle body removal is from this thread :XJR6 Throttle Body Access

Corresponding pics from that thread - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62092...16EB%21249&v=3

Feel free to drop by a message if you need any help while going through it!

The following users liked this post:
charlie.p (04-04-2017)
Old 04-02-2017, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali Khalili
Thanks for the replies guys!

I did try to position the hose onto the alloy air-duct (while that was bolted to the intercooler/ intake manifold) from under the car, but didn't remove the oil-filter nor intercooler strut so I will give that a try next.

@ al_roethlisberger - The method I used for the thorttle body removal is from this thread :XJR6 Throttle Body Access

Corresponding pics from that thread - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=62092...16EB%21249&v=3

Feel free to drop by a message if you need any help while going through it!

That's great, I've never seen that thread before. Funny how different minds arrive at the same conclusion as I'm planning on going in from the top too since I want to clean some other parts while I'm at it.

BTW, the Onedrive link to the photos seems dead. Can you get to it?