Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/)
-   -   XJR6 Intercooler upgrade (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj6-xjr6-x300-26/xjr6-intercooler-upgrade-218073/)

Bonn 05-21-2019 07:05 AM

XJR6 Intercooler upgrade

Hi all,
Has anyone here successfully upgraded their intercooler radiator and or pump?
All ideas welcomed - my S/C coolant temp is around 80C, with the standard set up and proprietor of dyno shop believes he could find another 50 odd RWHP.
Cheers,
Bonn

al_roethlisberger 05-21-2019 07:51 AM

There are quite a few threads here, and especially in the X308/X100 sub-forums about upgrading the circulator(pump) and intercooler radiator.

The three components that are often discussed are:

1) Jaguar XJR Intercooler Radiator Upgrade, Eurotoys,Ltd.

2) Bosch 0 392 022 010 intercooler pump/circulator upgrade: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-pump-199158/

3) Add an additional pusher electric fan in front of the intercooler radiator to reduce stationary or low speed heat soak.

The general consensus seems to be that the pump upgrade is beneficial, but the Eurotoys radiator may be too thick for proper cooling in street use. The additional cooling fan... not sure, but it can't hurt. As always YMMV ;)

Another good option is Killer Chiller, which is what cars like the Dodge Demon and Hellcat utilize.

And another potential option I've considered is to utilize the X308 intercooler radiator in place of the X300 radiator if the X308 radiator is a higher capacity while retaining the same OE thickness (see Eurotoys radiator comment above). I haven't measured the X300 radiator yet to see if the X308 is larger, but the dimensions of the X308 are:

560 mm wide (excluding the mounting ears and hose ports), 310 mm tall (~320 mm measured along the side flanges). The core is 32 mm thick and the thickness measured at the side flanges is 50 mm.

I've also toyed with using the oil cooler that is present on European XJRs and the XJ12 as a secondary intercooler radiator. I have the oil cooler from a wrecked XJ12, but haven't fitted it yet.

Bonn 05-22-2019 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger (Post 2073862)
There are quite a few threads here, and especially in the X308/X100 sub-forums about upgrading the circulator(pump) and intercooler radiator.

The three components that are often discussed are:

1) Jaguar XJR Intercooler Radiator Upgrade, Eurotoys,Ltd.

2) Bosch 0 392 022 010 intercooler pump/circulator upgrade: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-pump-199158/

3) Add an additional pusher electric fan in front of the intercooler radiator to reduce stationary or low speed heat soak.

The general consensus seems to be that the pump upgrade is beneficial, but the Eurotoys radiator may be too thick for proper cooling in street use. The additional cooling fan... not sure, but it can't hurt. As always YMMV ;)

Another good option is Killer Chiller, which is what cars like the Dodge Demon and Hellcat utilize.

And another potential option I've considered is to utilize the X308 intercooler radiator in place of the X300 radiator if the X308 radiator is a higher capacity while retaining the same OE thickness (see Eurotoys radiator comment above). I haven't measured the X300 radiator yet to see if the X308 is larger, but the dimensions of the X308 are:

560 mm wide (excluding the mounting ears and hose ports), 310 mm tall (~320 mm measured along the side flanges). The core is 32 mm thick and the thickness measured at the side flanges is 50 mm.

I've also toyed with using the oil cooler that is present on European XJRs and the XJ12 as a secondary intercooler radiator. I have the oil cooler from a wrecked XJ12, but haven't fitted it yet.

Thanks for that info, Al - much appreciated. Will do some measurements, etc - mine's in an XJS, with the original AJ16S Intercooler radiator. Also have a spare BMW Siemens E39 Pusher fan, which is fairly slimline - albeit variable speed, but should be easy enough to re-wire for 100%fan speed.
All of the above sound worthwhile - maximum HP/kW for minimal Pounds/$ is certainly appealing......

Cafcpete 07-23-2019 01:44 PM

I have just fitted the upgraded pump, and the feeling is night and day.
My original may have failed, as the performance in so much improved that I can hardly credit it. My next upgrade is to adjust my throttle cable as ODB2 tells me it only goes to 70%.......

Bonn 08-08-2019 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Cafcpete (Post 2103048)
My original may have failed, as the performance in so much improved that I can hardly credit it. My next upgrade is to adjust my throttle cable as ODB2 tells me it only goes to 70%.......

Thanks Cafopete.

AL NZ 08-15-2019 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cafcpete (Post 2103048)

definitely sort the throttle cable. Mine was frayed at the throttle body and jamming, only giving 55% max opening. once a new cable made, I got 96%. unblievable difference.
I put the Bosch intercooler pump on, big difference, then upgraded to the Powerhouse 10% bigger supercharger drive pulley - also a big difference.

Jagboi64 08-06-2020 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger (Post 2073862)
I haven't measured the X300 radiator yet to see if the X308 is larger, but the dimensions of the X308 are:

For the sake of completeness, the X300 intercooler radiator core ( just the finned area, excluding the side tanks etc), is 400mm wide, 240mm tall and 32mm thick.

JohnXJR6 08-28-2020 06:49 AM

I have the standard system on my XJR6 and also have a spare heater circuit pump which looks bigger than the original intercooler pump. As I cant see much flow in the intercooler through the filler /vent plug, I am thinking of swapping this as a free upgrade /fix. Has anyone tried it?
Also the AC has been broken for years, so may take it of to save space / weight and thinking that I could replace the condenser with a second intercooler radiator from a breakers if I can find one, would a constant / manually switched fan be better?
I did consider trying to make a killer chiller type system as the look good. I saw a test on a Shelby mustang which added 50hp to a 500hp supercharged motor, so extrapolate to ~ 30hp on our motors, perhaps more with oversized pulleys. Not cheap though.
Regards,
John

xalty 08-28-2020 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JohnXJR6 (Post 2281389)
I did consider trying to make a killer chiller type system as the look good. I saw a test on a Shelby mustang which added 50hp to a 500hp supercharged motor, so extrapolate to ~ 5hp on our motors, perhaps more with oversized pulleys. Not cheap though.
Regards,
John

Fixed

JohnXJR6 08-29-2020 05:59 PM

Steady on Xalty. I agree a very generalized and rough prediction, but from memory the 500hp factory Shelby Mustang used a positive displacement supercharger, with a water air intercooler not unlike like the x308 XJR but bigger. So a similar technology to our 300 plus hp X300 XJR6. On the Mustang. the article I read cited a ~ 50 hp gain on the dyno due to the near / sub zero degree C water temperature from the killer chiller cooling the intake air much more effectively than the say 60 - 70 degree C water normally circulated. I guessed that on our smaller set up we could expect a similar percentage gain, ie around 30 hp max benefit.
As stated in my original post this is just an extrapolation, and not based on any test data.
Where do you get your ~5hp estimate, from?
I am quite happy to stand corrected, especially on speculation, but please explain your reasoning rather than simply altering my words and saying 'Fixed'.
Regards, John

xalty 08-29-2020 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by JohnXJR6 (Post 2282153)
the article I read cited a ~ 50 hp gain on the dyno due to the near / sub zero degree C water temperature from the killer chiller cooling the intake air much more effectively than the say 60 - 70 degree C water normally circulated. I guessed that on our smaller set up we could expect a similar percentage gain, ie around 30 hp max benefit.
As stated in my original post this is just an extrapolation, and not based on any test data.
Where do you get your ~5hp estimate, from?
I am quite happy to stand corrected, especially on speculation, but please explain your reasoning rather than simply altering my words and saying 'Fixed'.
Regards, John

you can run sub zero IATs but if you’re stuck with the factory maps it does nothing. the KC is great as a last ditch effort for blowers putting out nuclear reactor levels of heat and causing the ecu to pull massive amounts of timing

even if you keep the charge ice cold you’re still stuck with an eaton m90 and trying to gorilla overdrive it with an anemic AJ16 wont result in any gains.

Jagboi64 08-29-2020 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by JohnXJR6 (Post 2282153)
On the Mustang. the article I read cited a ~ 50 hp gain on the dyno due to the near / sub zero degree C water temperature from the killer chiller cooling the intake air much more effectively than the say 60 - 70 degree C water normally circulated.

Even though the engine jacket water and intercooler water share the same header tank; tests done by members here have shown that they operate effectively independently. The IC water temps are much lower than the 90C of the jacket water when the car is on the move.

That being said, cooler water will always be a benefit, as it is the final heatsink for cooling the intake air, and a lower temp will always result in greater heat transfer from the intake air. I have no idea how much difference a killer chiller would make in practice though and if it would be noticeable on the road.

I'm going to go the route of a bigger intercooler for my application and see what happens.

AL NZ 08-29-2020 09:50 PM

I can tell you from experience that standard intercooler, with powerhouse 10% larger pulley, and Bosch electric intercooler water pump, gives me a genuine 0-60mph in 5 seconds (manual).
One day I might dyno it to get some idea of extra power