XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The last hoorah

Old 05-29-2013, 10:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The last hoorah

Alright I'm getting absolutely no power in the car. No interior lights no start no turn over, no radio, no dash, no lights, no door locks, no buttons working, no nothing besides the chirp from the alarm when unlockign the car with key.

Already checked- The usual. The ground wires are all tight including the ones under the hood the battery which tested good, terminal clean, and fully charged at four different places, all fuses are good, the trunk mega fuse thing not broken, cracked and all wires are tight and look new, no wires trapped under the battery including the shipping mode one, no where near the battery.

In short besides the stuff already checked and checked out fine, what could be the cause of this. Alright, of course there might be multiple causes, that is a given, what isnt potentially multiple causes. So answer like that and repeat of what I already tried rechecked and rechecked again once more and had other eyes on to check recheck and recheck again wont help. Some possible causes not mentioned might help.

Just trying to get this thing running decent once again. I thought I give it once last shop in trying to get some information to get it back on the road before giving up. Almost already did but thought, one more time. This is it. Might have to cut my losses and just junk the thing. 60,000 miles otherwise in perfect condition besides the walmart ding on front quarter panel. Sad way for it to go but it's doing no good sitting in drive taking up space with no info on how to possibly fix it. When it run it's beautiful but hell if I'm going to own a car that no one knows how to fix then I might as well get a Maserati. Only problem those cars seem to have is clutch pack premature wear and I can handle that.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

hallo Blackwolf,

I feel your pain, mine refused to start for 5 weeks, but I had lights and all accesories working
Have you looked at the electrical guides available on here? Or also at:
http://www.captainjaguarscathouse.co...ec%20Guide.pdf

Not sure what year your's is, so I just linked a 2000.

What I don't get from your post is,
1) you have charge on the battery = 12.xV ?
2) do you have voltage on the input to the fuse boxes, 5x of these, trunk, left and right heel boards and 2 in engine compartments. what do you read there for voltage, 12V? (see page 21)
3) if you have voltage at the fuse boxes, and the fuses are ok, then at least the lights should work.
4) if you don't have voltage at the fuse boxes, I don't get why your car beeps when you open it. Doesn't make any sense to me. (see page 116, beep would implay power to the Body Processor Module, which controls a lot of the stuff that doesn't work)

I'm fairly familiar with the electrical distribution in the Jag having measured everyhting on mine, so I can try to help with the basics.

Lincoln

The following users liked this post:
blackwolf560 (05-31-2013)
Old 05-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Check the right front bulkhead right near the spark plugs cover, is a thin wire connector going in the thick cable that brings power from the battery. Clean it and check again.
It happened to me few weeks back and had no power to any front part accessories.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

You need a test light and a schematic. A problem like yours will take a few minutes for someone who can read a schematic.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Sounds like a ground problem. How about the ground strap under the car? There have been many posts here relative to that problem and what to do to fix it easily.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smtguy
Sounds like a ground problem. How about the ground strap under the car? There have been many posts here relative to that problem and what to do to fix it easily.
Yeah already checked that. Clean and tight.

And that connector as decribed in a post about was also clean and tight. Cleaned it anyways and no difference.

Tomorrow or Wednesday going to check the actual voltage at the points described in above posts and see what it says.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Received 238 Likes on 168 Posts

Just get a cheap multimeter, download the schematics & then 'follow' the voltage around the car with the multimeter, until you find the point where it disappears or falls...