XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Sunroof Slide Panels - R&I FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 1998 XJ8 Sunroof Slide Panels - R&I FYI

For the benefit of Jennifer [full username removed for privacy], anyone down south who accepts her offer of steak and beer for helping, and all future viewer:

This is my sunroof slide panel removal and reinstall experience. I can only account for the reinstall of the body panel, as Jennifer now owns my small interior slide and the big one is leaning here by my desk.

Panel removal order:
  1. Large Headliner Slide
  2. Small Headliner Slide
  3. Body Panel Slide
Steps:
  1. Sunroof in tilt position max up
  2. Vertical play in rear corners of large interior-side panel reveals screws (1 each side). Remove.
  3. Large panel will pull out of the tilt opening from outside. Spring clips need to be released to allow this. Be creative. Note their orientation for reinstall.
  4. Still outside of vehicle: There is a plastic clip on the track in front of where the small slide fits in it. This clip holds the small slide down on the track, while a cross bar in the track holds it from moving forward w/o the large one in front of it (large one moves up for tilting, small one slides back). The clip will break easily. The panel can still be securely refitted though. Its tight like that.
  5. From inside the again now: the large panel's removal has revealed 4-more screws to take the body panel slide off. You already removed the first two, although this is the step when I realized that I had.
  6. Screws out, top gone: Now we can slide the small panel forward on the track (lift front of it slightly to clear crossbar bar in track, wiggle loose, pull slightly). There are a couple of flat-wide C-clips that hold it from the back. Be ready to hunt them down with a telescopic magnet behind your headliner.
Taking a break from typing. To be continued...

Last edited by Fast71SS; 05-03-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a small album of reference photos to be referred to:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/album/7343875

The titles and captions are fairly important to their application to this thread.

More to follow...