XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Can Anyone Recommend

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can Anyone Recommend

A good dealer or independent Jag shop in any of the following areas (all within driving distance from me): Tallahassee, FL; Columbus, GA; Atlanta, GA.

I think it's a good idea to do the cam chain tensioner replacement now, since we've got the money and there aren't any symptoms yet (and it's a '98 with 67K on it).

I've talked to a dealer in the Atlanta area, and while they can do an excellent price on parts, the labor is rather high ($1000 for eight hours).

Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Old 10-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Buckhead Imports in my sig. They do great work and they are VERY fair priced. Give tony a call. www.buckhead-imports.com

Old 10-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

At a dealer the $1000 sounds like upper tensioners only, the 8 hours sounds like both upper and lower. What was their parts quote?

The upper tensioners, which is what fails mostly, with valve cover gaskets, are much less than $200 on internet sites. Book time is 4 hours and that was my time the first time I tried it so an experienced tech can beat that easily. Lower tensioners are about the same material and labor cost.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:19 AM

The dealer quotes $1040 for eight hours of labor to replace the upper cam chain tensioners, chains, and associated parts (which include the tensioner blades, gaskets, bolts, o-rings, etc.). The parts themselves end up around $500, including a nice discount. I have no problem with the dealer, as they are very nice there, but I simply don't have very deep pockets, and I've heard of people on here getting the same work done much more cheaply.

Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

If they are doing the chains and blades make sure they put in the upgraded lower tensioners too since they are right there anyhow. Also if it has not been done get the original water pump and plastic outlet replaced with the upgraded ones too. (The Shop should combine these added operations at a "Discount")

As far as book vs flat rate time goes, most shops only use the book as a guide. Keep in mind that book times are established in a perfect environment with all tools, parts, and special tools already in the work cell and ready to use.

As a result it's tough to negotiate down to book time unless the shop is hungry for work.

FWIW, I'm speaking as a former ASE Master Mechanic and Service Manager on four different vehicle lines.

Last edited by Sinister 1; 10-16-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

I've come across a shop called European Motor Cars, which has several locations in the metro Atlanta area. Spoke with a Jaguar Master mechanic who works there (used to work at a dealership). Very knowledgeable. They gave me a quote of $1200 to do the upper tensioners (including parts), making their price the most reasonable I have yet come across. I did contact Buckhead Imports, and they quote $1700 or so to do the upper tensioners.

Last edited by The Rand Man; 10-18-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:25 PM

After looking through the threads on this subject to the best of my ability, I haven't been able to find any mention of the difference between two Jag secondary tensioners. The part numbers:
JA-C2A-1511
JA-AJ8-82325
Two different prices--the C2A ones being a lot more expensive. The Jag dealer quoted me on the cheaper parts, the other garages the more expensive ones.

Ideas?

Old 10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

You need to pause for a minute and do a little research on the forum.

You can buy the Lincoln LS/Ford Thunderbird 2000-2002 V8 tensioners for less than half the price of Jaguar parts, about $60 each and the Ford boxes say JAG on them. Those cars used Jaguar engines made in Ohio. The valve cover gaskets are less than $40 in the FelPro brand for the above car. Add $6 for the required shorter bolts. That totals less than $170 for parts plus four hours labor.

The left and right tensioners are different and have different part numbers. One is about $5 more than the other.

$1200 for just the upper tensioners is still too much.

What happened to the chains and blades? The chains are not usually replaced unless there is noticeable damage or wear. The blades require opening the front of the engine and would be significantly more. And as Sinister 1 said, if you open the front of the engine there is lots more to do at little more cost.

. . . oops! I just reread you first post. You have a '98. Ignore what I said about the FelPro gaskets, they will not work. Everything else stands.

Last edited by test point; 10-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by test point
You need to pause for a minute and do a little research on the forum.

You can buy the Lincoln LS/Ford Thunderbird 2000-2002 V8 tensioners for less than half the price of Jaguar parts, about $60 each and the Ford boxes say JAG on them. Those cars used Jaguar engines made in Ohio. The valve cover gaskets are less than $40 in the FelPro brand for the above car. Add $6 for the required shorter bolts. That totals less than $170 for parts plus four hours labor.

The left and right tensioners are different and have different part numbers. One is about $5 more than the other.

$1200 for just the upper tensioners is still too much.

What happened to the chains and blades? The chains are not usually replaced unless there is noticeable damage or wear. The blades require opening the front of the engine and would be significantly more. And as Sinister 1 said, if you open the front of the engine there is lots more to do at little more cost.

. . . oops! I just reread you first post. You have a '98. Ignore what I said about the FelPro gaskets, they will not work. Everything else stands.
I have spent quite a lot of time researching on here, and I am aware of the Ford parts option--but I haven't called any Ford dealers yet. I have not come across the Ford parts online (and yes, I've done searches on different sites), so maybe you can steer me in the right direction.

Regarding the blades and such, that's the Jag dealer being thorough. I could probably ask him not to do that and see how much it reduces the tab.

The difference in the tensioners above is more than just L-R. Depending on where you look, the price difference runs between $40-60. Hence, my curiousity regarding the matter!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Rand-
Southlake Ford sells the right Ford / Jaguar tensioner for $65.00 and $75.00 bucks or so. As testpoint pointed out, the Ford part is the same. You will be buying the part for a MY 03 3.9 liter Lincoln LS. They are the same- same castings, same plastic, the same- I have held them side by side with the Jagparts. The metal bodied tensioners are the correct ones. I have no idea what you were quoted by the Jag dealer- why not ask THEM?
I can do an upper tensioner set in 4 hours, using the conventionel method, rather than the zip tie one in less than 4 hours. (And I am S-l-o-w) .

Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by The Rand Man
The dealer quotes $1040 for eight hours of labor to replace the upper cam chain tensioners, chains, and associated parts (which include the tensioner blades, gaskets, bolts, o-rings, etc.). The parts themselves end up around $500, including a nice discount. I have no problem with the dealer, as they are very nice there, but I simply don't have very deep pockets, and I've heard of people on here getting the same work done much more cheaply.
The blades are part of a lower chain tensioner service. That sounds like a full timing chain service or at least some kind of hybrid and not just the uppers. If so, that is an excellent price.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:05 AM
Veteran Member

I agree. $ 1200. is high for secondary tensioners only, and a little low for both primaries and secondaries.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Sparkenzap, thank you for the Southlake Ford tip and input on pricing. As you said earlier, perhaps I do have to ask the dealer about the difference between Jaguar parts. Obviously the dealer is the only one who can answer questions about things specific to their service. Anyway, although I'm certainly glad for the input on the tensioners, I don't want to about them, since it's a common conversation on this forum. That said, if anyone is interested, I'll post what I learn about the part numbers, etc. If anyone has other suggestions on good independent mechanics in the areas I mentioned before, I'd love to hear them.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW, I have boought 4 sets of tensioners for mine and other's cars. 1 Pair came in "job packs"- no ID, 2 pairs came in Ford boxes, and one pair came in Jag boxes. Each type of packaging had a different part number, but the parts all look the same, includimg the casting "tick" marks. I believe all were made in the same plant with the same tooling, but obviously I cannot be sure.

I do not believe any LEGITIMATE parts source will be selling anything except so called Generation III metal bodied tensioners for the secondaries. That said, I have seen two styles of metal bodied primary tensioner, and I have no idea what the operational difference is.

I LOVE the emodicon!

Last edited by sparkenzap; 10-19-2011 at 09:27 AM.