Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   1999 Vanden Plas Drive Cycle -- need help! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/1999-vanden-plas-drive-cycle-need-help-148891/)

Newsguy 08-28-2015 09:11 PM

1999 Vanden Plas Drive Cycle -- need help!

Forgive me, but this question has probably been asked before (although I could not find a thread for it). I hate to bother all of you find folks, but this is driving me completely crazy! My can won't pass California Smog test because the computer says it is "not ready for testing." A recent battery change (and the resulting disconnect) has apparently erased all the emission data. What do I need to do to get the brain working again, so I can get it smog tested and back on the road? I was told that I need to run a "Drive Cycle." Is this correct and does anyone have the proper drive cycle for a 1999 Vanden Plas? I have seen some for other models, but, so far, I have not been able to get any of them to work for me. Since my tags expire in a few days, I will soon have the world's largest paperweight on my hands! PLEASE any help will be MOST appreciated.

Don B 08-28-2015 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Newsguy,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums!

I am attaching pages 1241-1244 from one of the X308 Workshop Manuals, which contain some information on drive cycles that will hopefully be helpful. If not, let us know and we'll try to help.

Also, since we're a friendly group, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

ericjansen 08-29-2015 08:20 AM

There is also a recent thread, I think less then a month old, of one of the forum members having problems getting it reset.
He finally managed, so that might be of help for you too.
E.

Newsguy 08-29-2015 10:04 PM

My sincere thanks goes to Don B and to EricJansen for their kind and quick responses. You guys really do make me feel welcome. I have driven and own Jags for more than 30 years and my first love was an X-120 owned by a neighbor. How I wanted to buy that car ( had just turned 15 and looking for my license at 16. It was for sale and cheap..but my dad would have none of it..said they were impossible to work on and "you will never get the parts!" Needless-to-say, I didnt get the car (Jaguar red with camel interior), but I have never forgotten her. Now have a 1987 XJ6 Series III and the '99 Vanden Plas. I love them both.

Anyway, sorry for the trip down memory lane, but have been remembering just why I go through all the trouble to keep these cars going.

dsnyder586 08-30-2015 11:27 AM

Ok-- I am about to go throught this same thing, which I did with my daughters car a month ago. Take a look at a map to see roughly what I did.

1. Started and idled car in the morning for 7 minutes
2. got on the 405 south from Harbor blvd in Costa Mesa and drove to Avery pkwy at about 55-59 mph. (early in the am to avoid cars getting annoyed)
3. Coasted down the offramp at Avery almost to the end
4. Stop at A's to get a breakfast burrito
5. Drive N up Camino Capistrano for 2 miles at 38MPH

DING! All emissions checks completed.