Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/2000-jaguar-vanden-plas-217366/)

blackhonor9 05-05-2019 08:16 AM

2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas

Are there any instructions on how to remove the BCM from 2000 Jaguar XJ8? I've removed the the glove box but the metal frame is give me issues. I'm not sure how to remove it to remove the bcm.

Thanks,

blackhonor9 05-05-2019 03:15 PM

Update to this: I was able to get it out. It was actually very easy once you disconnect the cable. One additional question is, can I start the car without the bcm connected?

Sean B 05-05-2019 04:42 PM

Something tells me no, but let us know if it does run without the BCM - what seems to be the issue with it?

blackhonor9 05-05-2019 07:08 PM

Hey Sean B,

At times after driving it for an extended period of time (maybe an hour or so) and letting it rest it will not no start. While displaying warning lights such as "low brake fluid, gearbox fault, ASC not available and Failsafe engine mode ." After letting it sit for about 4 to 6 hours, it starts no problem. Some days as I drive it it will cut off. After sitting for about 5 minutes it starts no problem. Someones says it could be that the BCM is warming up.

M. Stojanovic 05-05-2019 07:50 PM

The first thing to check is the voltage on the battery when the engine is off and when running. Also check whether the battery cables are getting hot when the engine is running and inspect and clean the terminals at the big fuses in the trunk. Other main cable connections to check and clean are those in the engine compartment - at the firewall and at the fuse boxes.

Sean B 05-06-2019 11:32 AM

There is a Can-Bus error, modern cars have an electrical system that passes signals and commands on the Can Bus network. Most modules run through this network and if there is a wiring fault or bad earth (as suggested by the above posters suggestion) then you can get these types of error.

Again, with these cars the battery condition is critical as it needs a healthy battery and alternator to feed the electrical system.

So, as above check the battery connections are good clean and tight. Then go to under the hood and look for the heavy gauge black cables that run either side, drivers side feeds the 2 fuse boxes, their connectors need to be clean and tight, no oxidization, bright metal. The other side connects to a brass bolt, near the brake master cylinder.

The third spot to check is under the car, the engine earth, this is located on the passenger side between the transmission bell housing and the back of the engine block, a large braided cable from chassis to engine, both ends need to be clean and tight.

The battery itself needs to have a 12.5V charge, any less and unexplained things/warnings can pop up - an old or marginal battery will cause untold warnings, so check that your battery is in good order.

The final thing that makes me think it's a wiring (can-bus) fault is the 3x beeps when ignition on - this is the climate control module posting and error and the display should read Er. This is where the fault may possibly lie but you'll need to go through the 'outer' wiring points listed above first to confirm if it's one of these before checking inside the cabin for faults. Or, you've removed the BPM as this could trigger a can bus fault also......

blackhonor9 05-08-2019 11:10 AM

Thanks Everyone for your input. Sean B, I will check these things this weekend but I wanted to post a couple more videos.

This one, I drove to work and let the car sit for about 2 hours. I had no issue with starting it.

This one, I sent back out 2 hours from the last time I started it, 4 hours from the time I drove to work and it would not start at all. Warning lights were on the display.

Don B 05-08-2019 10:58 PM

Hi Sam,

One of the BCM's functions is Engine Cranking Control, so I will be very surprised if your engine will start with the BCM disconnected. Please let us know!

Off the top of my head, one thing to check when it will not crank is that the gear shift lever is fully seated in Park. If it still won't crank, try starting with the gear selector in Neutral. This may not take into account all the warnings you're getting, but it's an easy thing to check.

Cheers,

Don