Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   2000 XJ8 Rear Windscreen seal problem (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/2000-xj8-rear-windscreen-seal-problem-212598/)

OTTOMOSS 01-08-2019 07:20 AM

2000 XJ8 Rear Windscreen seal problem

Happy New year to you all .

I have noticed water getting under the seal on the rear windscreen of my 2000 XJ8 (and probably the front also if it's happening here). Is there a way of preventing and sealing this easily , do I need to replace the seal/s ? At the moment there is no rust forming but I know that this is a problem area on the XJ8 and I want to catch it before it grows into a rust problem. I have given the area a good waxing but it seems that the seals should be doing a better job. All suggestion very gratefully received .

GGG 01-08-2019 10:11 AM

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum for advice from members with the same model. It's been a few years since I last tackled this problem and there may now be an effective sealant available which will avoid having to remove the glass.

The screens on the X308 (and earlier X300) are bonded to the body aperture. The visible rubber is little more than a mounting for the bright trim and has been dispensed with altogether on later models like my XK.

Graham

OTTOMOSS 01-08-2019 10:20 AM

Thanks very much Graham, I appreciate your reply . I At the moment I am simply wiping away any excess water with a kitchen towel and making sure there is no rust forming on a regular basis. This seems to be working along with the wax. It's the unseen areas I worry about most as who knows where the excess water is ending up.

Pete

GGG 01-08-2019 01:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Pete,

You have good reason to be concerned. On the earlier XJ's where the front and rear screens are installed with the traditional rubber seal/locking rubber/chrome finisher, rust in the body aperture has been a particular problem in our wet climate. If water is getting past the adhesive seal on your rear screen, it must be corroding the body metal in a similar way..

The screen removal/refit procedure in JTIS is 13 pages so I have had to split it to add it here as two PDF's.

There is always a high risk of breakage when removing bonded screens.

Graham

OTTOMOSS 01-09-2019 03:57 AM

This is a great help Graham, thank you for your time. I am beginning to understand how the various components work. It seems that the actual window sealing is fine on mine but the rubber surround with the chrome trim is allowing water to enter and sit in the channel below. This in itself is not critical yet on mine as the paint is still good but can imagine if left then the usual rust spots will gradually start and grow. I am not sure if this surround/trim is designed to seal the area and that maybe the channel below is supposed to run water away like a gutter, if so this is very poor design. it could be that the surround/trim has lost it's elasticity and needs replacing or nourishing with a silicone treatment. I am not sure whether to attempt to use any sealant here as this could end up just trapping moisture inside. Thanks again for the superb PDF's , they are great help.

best

Pete