XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 Jaguar XJ8 Transmission Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 06:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 98 Jaguar XJ8 Transmission Removal

Hi everyone!

The transmission in my 98 Jaguar xj8 (130,000 Mile) decided to die on me over the Christmas season. I have been scouring the internet for a guide on how to remove the transmission but have yet to find one. I was wondering if anyone had few moments to give me some instruction or if your know where I can find a guide on how to perform this feat.

As for my transmission issue, for those who want to know why I am removing it. I was on my way to work when I stopped at a stop sign. When I went to take off it felt like my wheels were spinning on ice (engine revving up and moving very slowly). Of course I live in Michigan and it just snowed the night before. I figured everything was normal. I approached a red light and stopped, when the light changed green I pushed on the gas and it felt like someone had rear ended me, the car kicked hard. As I looked at the dashboard I noticed the annoying message of "Transmission Fault". I made it to work, had the car towed to my house and that is where it has set.

I welcome any helpful advice, jokes and anything in between to help me get started. I have never removed a transmission before but I am very mechanically inclined.

-Mkvandals

Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

If you download the factory manual JTIS21 you will find the procedure, but it is not easy to navigate at first.
Look in the Sticky's near the top of the forum page for the win 7 download procedure.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
Here is the weblink to the Transmission removal & install procedures (thread actually title is XJ - X308 & XJR Transmission Removal - Install extract JTIS21):
See post# 1
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...s21-faq-57639/

Also the Oil drain & refill procedures:
See post# 1 and # 3
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ter-r-i-61563/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-08-2013 at 07:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RJ237 (01-08-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys! I will take a look at them tonight and get back to you if I have any Questions.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There is a huge long thread where the removal and reinstallation of the transmission was recounted by one of the members with lots of input from sideline coaches. This was done on ramps, not a hoist.

It would be worth your while looking for it, even if you have to manually skim back through the threads in this section.

JTIS is fine, but it assumes a lot. The referenced thread was written by a guy in your exact position.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
The DIY writeup that Plums brought your attention to I think was done by forum member sar98vdp (Scott).

Here is the weblink to that DIY on transmission rebuild PDF file that Scott created:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...on-rebuild-pdf

Just thought I give a helping hand.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 01-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1998 xj8 L , transmission replace , I just purchased another transmission , 61k going to put it in can anyone tell me if the car will know I replaced the transmission after replaced ,??? Just curious if it will come out of limp home mode after replace ,,,, thanks for your help

Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 AM

Can anyone help , will I have to have any codes cleared out after replacing my 1998 tranny ? Thanks for your help

Old 01-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

I think it's unlikely that you will be in limp mode at startup, but you may want to clear the stored codes eventually.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by RJ237
I think it's unlikely that you will be in limp mode at startup, but you may want to clear the stored codes eventually.
Thanks , well I guess I'm gonna jump off into it ,,,, was driving my 98 xj, the other day and went to accelerate , and felt like was rear ended , figure it's broken drum , went bought , a tranny with 60k on it , soooo here I go was just wondering if I was gonna have to do something to make my car know that there is nothing wrong with replacement tranny ,,,, thanks for your help ,

Old 01-12-2014, 03:41 AM
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
Default XJ8 transmission

Make sure you use the correct type of oil for the transmission.
Original oil was Esso lt 71141, which I think is unavailable now.
Use an oil which is compatible, such as mobil1 atf, or buy from ZF dealer if there is one near you. Follow the correct procedure to fill also.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

You might want to check on some of the threads on here about replacing the A drum, and the valve body while you have the tranny sitting out of the car. Apparently there are replacements that will last a lot longer.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:26 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This will probably only serve to confirm some aspects and negate others about changing the transmission on a 1997-2002 non-supercharged XJ8. I read the thread with anticipation and trepidation but soon found the hysteria was all for naught; all the bolts on the bell housing are easily accessible from above and below. The most fiddly part was removing the 3 screws form the heat shield over the left catalytic converter.After unplugging the sensors on the cats and clearing the wires away, I loosened the cats on both sides by removing the 8 bolts. After raising the car (I used a lift), I removed the exhaust (straight-forward no issues) then supported the unit on a transmission jack ($150 from harbor freight and well worth it) I'd removed the top 4 bell housing bolts from above and removed the remaining ones from underneath. Then I removed the shifter and position sensors from their respective sides and put the little screws back in the holes so I knew where they were. I loosened the driveshaft and removed rear transmission support, then lowered the transmission to remove the shaft by raising it above the transmission and working it forward (easy). For ease of access I removed the 4 bolts holding the steering rack in, then removed the 3 bolts holding the flex plate to the torque converter. With an assistant the transmission was backed away from the engine. I did not remove the harness clip bar from the bell housing, no need, nor support the engine from above as recommended in the Jaguar procedure as I found it to be useless. The transmission came away with a pop as the center shaft of the torque converter separated from the flex plate.
My transmission had already be rebuilt, all clutches and baskets were intact and new. The work had been signed and dated by the technician so I contented myself with stripping the unit and cleaning the minimal dust from the inside. The problem with it was that whoever re-installed it on the car had apparently been in a hurry and had jammed the torque converter against the tangs on the primary oil pump gear, shearing them. They had friction-welded them selves to the input shaft and eventually let go. The only metal pieces loose inside the unit were the 2 tangs. I bought a rebuilt pump, complete, from Cascade for $143.50, popped it in, re-assembled the transmission and installation was pretty much a reversal of the first part. No mystery, no problems, plenty of space to work. All in all a doddle compared to doing the same job on a Mark 2,7,8,9 or X and ten times less PIA than any E-Type - and I've worked on many of each model. Fluid used was Valvoline Synthetic Foreign car/ It has the same JLM code as Pentosin, Esso and others.Just posting this to de-mystify the process. It was by far the easiest transmission I have changed on ANY Jaguar and, as long as you re-assemble the transmission vertically (make a wooden cradle out of a $4.00 Harbor Freight dolly) it goes back together very easily. Total time: 4 hours removal and re-installation, 3 hours stripping, cleaning and reassembling the unit.
Cheers,
Zaphod.

The following users liked this post:
moparmusclecars (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Phavas,
Awesome write up, sir. Thank you. I was wondering how hard this would be to do. Sounds like there really isn't much to it, actually. I will probably be doing one myself, so i will print this off.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I replaced my A Drum and valve body back in January. Did it in my garage with the car on four jack stands, ramps and floor jacks. Trans was fairly easy to remove and get it back in. Would I do it again? Hell yes. Should be even easier this time around.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the reply, Larney. I have removed and replaced many transmissions, just no Jag ones. I'm thinking I can handle it. As far as rebuilding the trans, that is another story, but I just joined here. I am thinking about trying it, myself. Only issue i am told with my car from the gal i got it from is if you manually shift into low gear, it doesn't want to go. Otherwise she said its good (whatever that means).

Old 07-25-2017, 11:26 PM

Sounds like the A drum is one you change every time once you open these transmissions. I am assuming that is for the forward gears? Im wondering what would be my issue, if anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need advice!

Originally Posted by larney
I replaced my A Drum and valve body back in January. Did it in my garage with the car on four jack stands, ramps and floor jacks. Trans was fairly easy to remove and get it back in. Would I do it again? Hell yes. Should be even easier this time around.

i only have a floor jack and cedar bricks and I believe the torque converter is going out. How do I replace that single part?
Thanks is advance

Old 08-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by MattHasAjagNow
i only have a floor jack and cedar bricks and I believe the torque converter is going out. How do I replace that single part?
Thanks is advance
Torque convertor replacement requires removal of transmission.

Means the same as repairing the tranny, just no need to take the tranny apart. The convertor has 3 screws holding it to the flywheel/flexplate on the rear of the engine and is simply pushed onto the tranny.

Important: when removing, remove the tranny WITH the torque convertor at the same time. Then take it out of the tranny. When putting a new torque convertor in, make sure it aligns in 3 'clunks'. After the 3rd clunk it is in place. DON'T force it!

Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,903 Likes on 853 Posts

Such a gear box replacement, including a full overhaul of said gearbox by a specialst gearbox repair shop in Bordeaux, France, will set you back between 2,000 - 2,500 Euro.