Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   98 XJR Chain rattle . (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/98-xjr-chain-rattle-66014/)

JE38 01-04-2012 10:08 PM

98 XJR Chain rattle .

Hello Every one i am new here and just got a 98 XJR with 120k but it has a pretty loud rattle from the right side timing area . I noticed that the cover has a small crack where the chain has probably worn through over time . I have not taken it apart yet so i am not sure if i should order all the chains and tensioners or maybe just the tensioners and have the cover repaired ? I have been doing some reading using the search button but wanted some more opinions and what special toold i might need . The car runs fine just underpowered and makes noise .

JE38 01-04-2012 10:53 PM

Mods please remove posted in the wrong section .

Cadillac 01-05-2012 03:47 AM

Ok, moved

yeldogt 01-05-2012 06:16 AM

The XJR's are not "underpowered" -- so something is up.

The early engines did have Nikasil - so you need to test the engine to make sure all is well with the bore. Do you think the chain could have already jumped a tooth.

You are in a sticky situation as you need to test the motor without having what sounds like a pending timing chain failure

test point 01-05-2012 06:22 AM

The rattle plus the low power you mention are sure signs that the exhaust cam chain has already jumped one tooth. If it jumps another you will terminally damage your engine.

You can either 'rent' the cam alignment lock tool set or use the zip tie method of replacing the tensioners. You seem to have found the search function and there are plenty of posts on the subject.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Jaguar!

I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved.

Sean B 01-05-2012 07:02 AM

As Test has mentioned, and without doubt is 100% correct, you are a hare's breath away from destroyed engine!!!!!

You will find a broken timing chain tensioner once you have the cam cover off - this is the first job.

The second is to locate a special tool set to change the tensioners.

Good luck, and do not start the car!

test point 01-05-2012 07:13 AM

Oh! Did I mention that I would not start the engine again until I had this resolved?

Don't make me tell you 'I told you so!'.

JimmyL 01-05-2012 09:29 AM

I like that "hare's breath" comment Sean. I'll have to remember that one. You meant "hair's breadth" right ? Or do I have it mixed up ?

sparkenzap 01-05-2012 09:57 AM

In addition to the other good advice I would only add, "I would not start the engine again until this is resolved" just in case someone has not already mentioned that.

test point 01-05-2012 10:09 AM

Hare's breath comes from the tiny short breaths of a rabbit, or hare on the other side. Old southern saying. Several derivatives involving gnats and frogs.

JimC64 01-05-2012 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 167438

[quote=test point;450180]The rattle plus the low power you mention are sure signs that the exhaust cam chain has already jumped one tooth. If it jumps another you will terminally damage your engine.

You can either 'rent' the cam alignment lock tool set or use the zip tie method of replacing the tensioners. You seem to have found the search function and there are plenty of posts on the subject.

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of Jaguar!

I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved. I would not start the engine again until this is resolved.[/quote]

Lol.....You put your point across so well Tom, thanks and good advice:icon_beerchug: