XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

99 XJ8 VDP: Cooling lines issue. Will you take a picture for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Arrow 99 XJ8 VDP: Cooling lines issue. Will you take a picture for me?

A bit unusual request I suppose, but looking for some help.

Without going into great historical detail right now, I've discovered that one of my transmission oil cooling lines has been resting up against my serpentine belt. At some point, before I noticed this, the belt had actually cut into the black part of the line (which I assume is rubber), causing transmission fluid to spray onto the belt and of course drip onto the ground.

Obviously the line shouldn't be up against the belt, and I'm pretty sure it happened after I got a new radiator installed and maybe the lines weren't put back in the right positions or some adapter on the connection to the radiator shifted it by an inch or whatever.

Regardless, I've not had success finding pictures of how the lines _should_ look in relation to the belt and the radiator. I'm hoping maybe somebody who has a 99 XJ8 (or a year known to be the same) could post some pictures of this area, so I can see how it should be.

Much thanks in advance

here is my picture. I realize it doesn't show the connection to the radiator, but if you're able to include that, it would be helpful.

Last edited by BillDJohnson; 02-09-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Bill,

Do these help? Mine is a 2001, so may be different, but mine take a 90 degree turn while still as metal on leaving the top of the radiator, then curve under and back to the trans, missing the pulleys by a margin. Could it be your hoses have been replaced with the incorrect one(s)?

(the upper-most hose with the electrical connector is A/C)

CK

The following users liked this post:
BillDJohnson (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the pictures. That's really interesting. I wonder if there was a change between 99 and 01, or if you're right and the wrong ones were put in. Yours are definitely far away from the belt. It will be interesting to see what other pictures come in.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

I have a 1998 4L (AJ26), will snap some pictures in a couple of hours if nothing else came in by then.

PS to Canival Kid: THAT ... is what we call a clean engine

BillDJohnson (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
PS to Canival Kid: THAT ... is what we call a clean engine

Thank you EJ.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by BillDJohnson
Thanks for the pictures. That's really interesting. I wonder if there was a change between 99 and 01, or if you're right and the wrong ones were put in. Yours are definitely far away from the belt. It will be interesting to see what other pictures come in.
Your (metal) pipes have been crossed somewhere along the side of the engine (as they come from the transmission) so they arrive at the PS pump "upside down" (see pic) requiring the rubber sections going to the radiator to be crossed again at the PS pump in a narrow space. Yo should have the metal sections of the pipes re-positioned correctly.

Attached Thumbnails 99 XJ8 VDP: Cooling lines issue. Will you take a picture for me?-crossed-cooler-hoses.jpg  
ericjansen (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 842 Likes on 592 Posts

By the way, how do I attach pictures so that they appear (big) in the text and not as thumbnails? I don't see option for this.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by M. Stojanovic
Your (metal) pipes have been crossed somewhere along the side of the engine (as they come from the transmission) so they arrive at the PS pump "upside down"
Just had a look at mine (4L N/A), and above is completely correct.
They are (should be) parallel to each other, leaving plenty of space to the pulley.

To add large pictures, there is a small "picture" icon on the top bar, you can then download the picture / add it within your post.
But I think it is only available on the QUOTE and ADVANCED REPLY modes, not on the QUICK reply.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

If you need to replace them, that will be a huge PITA. I found it easier to drop the engine, transmission and front axle just to change them as the space is so tight, you can barely put a Finger or two in there...

Old 02-10-2018, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

This link shows my solution for changing the lines without engine removal.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n+cooler+lines

BillDJohnson (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
This link shows my solution for changing the lines without engine removal.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...n+cooler+lines
Thanks. Just to be clear, you replaced the entire length of both pipes with braided hose? I've never done flaring. Is this an advanced job? How long were the hoses you got? It sounds like a legitimate way for me to fix this problem.

Are the connections to the transmission easily accessible from underneath the car? I assume I'll lose some (a lot?) of transmission fluid when taking off the connections.

Sorry, it's been sitting for about a year, because I haven't had any time. Hard to get back into the groove. :-)

Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member

You don't need to do any flaring. The fittings are called AN fittings. We use them on race cars for fuel and oil lines. With these fittings you cut the hose to the proper length and the install the fittings. I get them from a local race shop. If you are not sure about installing the fittings yourself the race shop might be able to make up your hose for you.

Depending on which hose. One goes on the driver side, US model, of the transmission. This is the one I needed to replace. The other goes over the top of the transmission around the bell housing and under the throttle body. You will need to cut the line in pieces to get it out, but the braided hose can be feed in one piece.

Last edited by BobRoy; 02-10-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
You don't need to do any flaring. The fittings are called AN fittings. We use them on race cars for fuel and oil lines. With these fittings you cut the hose to the proper length and the install the fittings. I get them from a local race shop. If you are not sure about installing the fittings yourself the race shop might be able to make up your hose for you.

Depending on which hose. One goes on the driver side, US model, of the transmission. This is the one I needed to replace. The other goes over the top of the transmission around the bell housing and under the throttle body. You will need to cut the line in pieces to get it out, but the braided hose can be feed in one piece.
Ah, ok. You mentioned flaring in your post, so that's why I asked. ("I used a tube cutter to cut the lines at each end and then installed the AN fittings after flaring each end"). Thanks for the info! I'll look into what kind of shops we have around here.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

I remember now. I did flare the end of each tube after I cut them from the hose. I already had the flare tool. I might be cheaper if you have a shop make it up for you. There is no flaring on the braided hose.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ck-fix-171463/
Paint them black if they are not already, and no one will ever notice.