XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Airport Parking- Don't Bother!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Angry Airport Parking- Don't Bother!!

Hello All, I don't need any tech help on this occason, I'd just like to vent my anger to my fellow XJ Owners.

I went on holiday for the weekend to Spain and booked my car into an Airport Parking facility. Upon my arrival I discovered that I was to leave my keys with them for their Valet to park my car and I'd get the keys back upon my return. I wasn't too happy about this as I thought I'd be parking my own car, however being pushed for time as I was I had little choice.

I returned on Monday at 19:30 and when I got my car back it was dark and it was parked between other cars waiting for returning owners. Their "Floodlit Car Park" provided little light for me to find my way round my car, but I just hopped in and drove home, afterall who needs to check the car when these guys are pros and look after your car?

However the next morning as I came out to my car for work I noticed that there was a huge scar of blue paint along my RH rear bumper and my rear wing was scuffed and dented. Also my bumper was actually hanging off! I got straight onto the phone and they denied they had anything to do with it, though according to their check sheet it was clean when it arrived. They actually accused me of doing it! What? I went down one motorway and one main road back to my house and parked on the drive, so theredore there was nothing to hit it! I wouldn't mind but the paint in question is the exact same colour as their fencing and bollards!

They've been back in touch with me and are still saying it wasn't them, and in the meantime I've had a quote for £450 to repair my car! So I'm currently seeking Leagal advice on the matter as I don't think it right I should have to pay for the mistake these dumbos have made.

So to sum up I paid £15 for 4 days parking and got £450 worth of damage to my previously Mint XJ8! In future I'll get a lift to the Airport, and avoid all this bother!

Last edited by GGG; 12-24-2018 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Aaagggh! what a horrible experience. I would never valet unless in front of a nice restaurant or hotel, and not overnight. Man, total bummer. If they checked it in clean, you may have an argument. Document everything, including your pictures (before and after) and phone calls.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Sorry to hear about this nasty incident ,I hope your ride gets back to its glory day soon .

Old 10-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that sucks. I usually self park at our local airport and generally all the way at the other end where nobody parks.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:20 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be a cold day in hell before I let ANYONE behind the wheel of my car. I don't even like turning the keys over to the dealer's service department. Sorry to hear about this. After my recent experience with my car I feel your pain.

Paul

Old 11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a friend with similar experience but this was in an airport in California and the car was a Mercedes sports and Mercedes said that the metal they used is aircraft metal (aluminum?) and it costed him $40,000 to fix. Of course after the car left their premises the parking company siad they hold no liabilities.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airport Parking...that's what the 220000 mile Subaru is for! Cheaper to run this car for those type of errands than have to deal with getting the Jag repainted after the 'professionals' have parked your car.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thats why I take a Taxi..

Old 11-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel sorry for your experience. You might want to consider an airport shuttle or a taxi next time.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Stu, just a note to say that really sucks!! I wish you well on the legal endeavors. This doesn't help, but at Charlotte Douglas Airport in NC (USA) the valet service takes digital pictures of your vehicle upon drop off. One thing though, I guess if any damage was to occur the pics might somehow get deleted by accident.

Old 11-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hello All. Sorry I haven't been replying to your kind posts of support, we've had no internet here for the last week for some "Technical" reason, though the phone line exchange boxes being full of water may have also helped out!

Anyway, good news! Just today the Manager of the chain called me personally and spoke to me.My Solicitor friend and I sent them a letter of Claim and he rung me and said to avoid the hastle of us both having to goto Court he'll pay to fix the damage to my XJ, which I'm very pleased with!

However, I'll uphold my promise and won't park at the airport again, I'll go back to my childhood, and have my Dad drop me off! Hee Hee! Thanks again for all your help fellas, it won't be forgotten. Stu.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Good News Chaps: They've fixed my car and the dent has gone and the bumper is back in place. While the car was there they polished all my chrome and paint, and even valeted the interior, which is nice.

Bad News Chaps: They messed up big time on my pin striping! Its painted on by hand at the factory, and is a dark maroon colour on mine. However what they've done is totally messed up! They've done it black, and it sort of sits below the paint, so when you run your fingers over it you can feel the black paint is deeper than the silver, kind of like a ridge. I did ask them, but they didn't seem to understand the issue, so I left happy that the damage was repaired free.
As luck would have it, I went to see the man who sign writes all our coaches and buses at the depot and he is going to do it right for me. I just need the paint shop to mix me a colour for my car so he can "Fill In" the bad pin stripe and then do it himself properly.
I trust this guy 100% because back in the 60's & 70's he used to paint Custom Cars and I've seen photos, he is very good! Keep Smiling! S.

Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Hey stu,I am very happy to see things are going well on your side
I will be looking forward to seeing greater news than that

Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Cadillac, Things are going ok, except for all the rain we've been having! Though I was in Spain at the weekend, and I actually drove through a bit of snow! What greater news are you looking forward to? Hope things are well with yourself, Stu.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default happy4u

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Good News Chaps: They've fixed my car and the dent has gone and the bumper is back in place. While the car was there they polished all my chrome and paint, and even valeted the interior, which is nice.

Bad News Chaps: They messed up big time on my pin striping! Its painted on by hand at the factory, and is a dark maroon colour on mine. However what they've done is totally messed up! They've done it black, and it sort of sits below the paint, so when you run your fingers over it you can feel the black paint is deeper than the silver, kind of like a ridge. I did ask them, but they didn't seem to understand the issue, so I left happy that the damage was repaired free.
As luck would have it, I went to see the man who sign writes all our coaches and buses at the depot and he is going to do it right for me. I just need the paint shop to mix me a colour for my car so he can "Fill In" the bad pin stripe and then do it himself properly.
I trust this guy 100% because back in the 60's & 70's he used to paint Custom Cars and I've seen photos, he is very good! Keep Smiling! S.
This tells how important it is to have a solicitor as good friend, heeheehee. I'm happy that you're happy.

However you happened to find that chap who agreed to doing the pinstrips for you, it is wonderful that the guy promised to do it for you personally. Don't forget to say thanks to your lovingly reliable dad when he drops you off at the airport.

Man, I imagine you must have collected a good deal of good karma. Blessed be. Always have the best of intents and do good.

Old 12-22-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 692 Likes on 376 Posts

I avoid letting anyone touch my car as much as possible and this approach has served me well. My brother and brother in law each drove it once. That's all. I carry the wheels into the tire shop for new tires. Valet parking? Probably not in my lifetime. It's so much easier to not trust anyone than to fix their screw ups when it comes to my Jaguar. To others, it's just another car but I don't see it that way so the only way to avoid conflict is to keep my car out of the hands of other people.

The following users liked this post:
A.J.P (12-24-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 06:12 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You must have really slow internet. The last post was 9 years ago.

I agree though, I live in a rural area and avoid cities and airports.

bob

The following users liked this post:
Jhartz (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

lol thread resurrection.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Well, Stu 1986 is still around, still loving his Jag as much as he did back then.
And knowing him a bit, I am pretty sure he can still get upset about this incident ... even after 9 years ...

Old 12-24-2018, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member

The company involved in the original post has since closed down and the building they operated out of demolished. The car involved in the original post went to car heaven a long time ago also. I tend to take my car with me on holiday now lol.

Quick Reply: Airport Parking- Don't Bother!!