Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Back On The Road Again! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/back-road-again-40748/)

jaginblack 08-16-2010 08:36 AM

Back On The Road Again!

I am not the fastest mechanic in the world, but I have succeeded nonetheless. From my "Sudden Fail" post back in June I am now very happy to say my XJ8L is back on the road and running smooth as buttered glass!

Except for restoring the heads and fuel injectors, I did everything myself in the driveway. For the record, the project included:
- Restored both cylinder heads
- New primary and secondary chains, guides, and tensioners
- Fuel injectors cleaned and balanced
- Replaced spark plugs
- New aluminum T-Stat housing & new coolant pipe & temp sensor
- New part-load breather hose
- New heater hoses
- Cleaned throttle body and intake plenum
- Cleaned oil pan and pickup screen
- New gaskets throughout

She started right up and really purrs. At 71K on the meter she is running like a new car.

A huge thank you to everyone here at Jaguar Forums for all the helpful information and good advice along the way. Huzzah!

H20boy 08-16-2010 09:11 AM

I forget jaginblack, what was the original issue...tensioner lead to a chain failure?

And, how much did you end up spending, knowing your own labor is not in this figure at all. I would be curious to hear.

Its very good to hear you stuck with it and persevered in the end. :)

Cadillac 08-16-2010 09:48 AM

Nice to see, things are good with your ride and you're happy with that :D
It makes me feel so brilliant that forums help you out solving your problems associated with the car ,thanks for the feedback much appreciated
Enjoy your ride

jaginblack 08-16-2010 05:00 PM

My laptop armed with AllDataDIY, Google, and JaguarForums.com was a most essential element - along with my Visa debit card!

h2Oboy - a secondary tensioner failed and the chunk lodged in the exhaust sprocket, snapping the secondary chain. I spent almost exactly $2000 on my rebuild, roughly $625 was the head job and $175 for the injector servicing, both outsourced. The rest was all parts, cleaners, and new fluids and filter.

I did things I didn't really have to do like the injector service, t-stat housing, new coolant pipe, or heater hoses but it seemed silly not to, as far as I had gone in.

And, even with a pretty good toolbox to start with, I spent maybe $100 or so renting the timing tools and buying some other misc. sockets, etc. Total out of pocket was around $2200 plus liquor.

test point 08-16-2010 07:34 PM

So . . . about $3k . . . not bad.

Congratulations! No one will understand how much you can love a car until you love it back to running status from complete failure.

Great example for the forum!

jaginblack 08-16-2010 07:57 PM

It could have been $800 in liquor... but I can't recall exactly.

jaginblack 08-17-2010 06:15 AM

In case anyone else is interested in exactly where the money went on my project, here is my list. Some of these costs are rounded off a bit, but this is everything.

Primary Guides - Curved $75
Primary Guides - Straight $50
Primary Tensioners $90
Primary Chains $60
Secondary Chains & Tensioners Kit $299
Coolant Outlet Pipe with O-Rings, Water Temp Sensor $70
Heater & Bypass Hoses $34
Part Load Breather Hose $35
Upper Engine Gasket Set $275
Oil Pan Gasket $38
Cylinder Head Bolts $138
Oil Pump Pickup Seal $19