XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

baseline boost level?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:00 AM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts
Default baseline boost level?

Im installing a boost gauge in my 98xjr this weekend and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the eaton's baseline psi is and what i should hopefully expect for a reading? I've found mixed answers searching. Thanks

Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 AM
Received 318 Likes on 217 Posts

It's 11.6PSI if everything is ok.

"Then there's Jaguar's XJR, introduced for 1998. It too is powered by a V-8, but one that uses forced induction to achieve elevated power. By fitting an Eaton-built Roots-type blower that pumps 11.6 psi of boost into the 4.0-liter, four-cam, 32-valve corporate V-8, Jaguar engineers have raised the engine's power from 290 to 370 hp and boosted its torque from 290 to 387 lb-ft. And the peak torque is developed at 3600 rpm, 650 revs lower than in the naturally aspirated engine."

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

A picture of the cabin location would be nice

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
A picture of the cabin location would be nice
I'd think in the place of the clock. Your passengers would be going nuts...

I'd like to see the final application.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:16 AM

Only 1138 days later but I finally took TireFriars advice. Using a hole cutting saw on 18 year old plastic was dicey but all ended up well

Last edited by greverrr; 06-09-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Add pic
The following 3 users liked this post by greverrr:
plums (06-09-2016), rocklandjag (06-11-2016), Samilcar (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 01:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts

It does look cool, but two things:
1. The stock clock is totally awesome and so useful in that loction that I'd hate to delete it.
2. It is not necessarily the most convenient spot to observe boost indication, as it is a little off from the line of driver's view, especially when compared to the most obvious and popular of locations for a boost gauge:
3. The A-pillar pod, which was my choice for my XJR, although some opined that "adding after market devices to the car interior doesn't look good", forgetting that an XJR is a performance sedan and not a Vanden Plas. Unfortunately, I'm writing this on my tablet and not on my laptop, so I can't attach the corresponding picture, but there is a picture of it here in my XJR gallery, only that I don't know how to grab those pictures to transfer to an on-going post. I do like that you can change display colors on your gauge. My Autometer gauge illumination was originally white only and l modified the illumination with blue LED's.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2016, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Oops, I apologize. I don't see the boost gauge picture in the XJR gallery for some reason. I'll grab my laptop and place one there and while I'm at it, l'll post one here on a new response, as well.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2016, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member

This is where I placed my XJR's boost gauge. Easy to see boost indication while looking at the road.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails baseline boost level?-dsc00807-1.jpg   baseline boost level?-dsc00814-2.jpg  
Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 AM

Honestly ergonomics did not play in my location decision as much as asthetics. Odds are passengers will be much more interested in the "boost" numbers and the bright lights. I've installed lots of add-on gauges in my life and I always feel i'm too enamored with driving to be looking for any gauge but a shift light.
The gauge lens is magnified so it appears larger than it actually is, helps with 2" gauges a bit. Boost gauges are just cool whereever they are placed IMO

Old 06-09-2016, 08:32 AM
Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Thank you Greverrr - the gauge looks better than expected. Your pics with lighting show how proper lighting is essential to makes it look just in place. Plus it's easily reversible, just replace the center panel, correct?

No offense to pillar mounted gauges but I've seen too many of these in wannabe boy racers and as such they do not associate with any sort of sophistication in my mind. Yes, their application in track or drag cars is proper but it doesn't add much to an elegance of the Jaguar's interior. Just my humble opinion.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:16 AM

Yup exactly, didn't even have to do any cutting into the factory wiring so if I get a 2nd hand center piece it can be easily reversed. The center plastic was very well destroyed/cracked before I owned the car so I didn't feel like I had much to lose! Its held in by large washers under the original screws that hold it in place because the plastic mounting points cracked off years ago. I would imagine the careless PO had something to do with that :/

Last edited by greverrr; 06-09-2016 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I push my gas, boy racers in the mirror, I really don't "care" to have a "gauge" to tell me what the back of my seat already is. Sorry to be harsh but I'm with forced air, the clock is the $hit right where it is....to each his/her own I guess! And before anyone attempts to castrate me (usually what happens) this IS a public forum which is open to varying opinions, good and bad. I can post pix of stuff I did that would get the thumbs down from plenty. The whirring of the S/C and kick in the pants is my gauge of boost.😃

Last edited by JTsmks; 06-09-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Thank you Greverrr - the gauge looks better than expected. Your pics with lighting show how proper lighting is essential to makes it look just in place. Plus it's easily reversible, just replace the center panel, correct?

No offense to pillar mounted gauges but I've seen too many of these in wannabe boy racers and as such they do not associate with any sort of sophistication in my mind. Yes, their application in track or drag cars is proper but it doesn't add much to an elegance of the Jaguar's interior. Just my humble opinion.
Don't leave out the fact that an XJR is not all about the "elegance of the Jaguar's interior". For that, I'd buy a standard normally aspirated sedan. As beautiful and loved as the car is, the XJR is a different animal, a performance sedan in the same category of the AMGE55, the M3/M5 or the CTS-V sedans. Many enthusiasts do not stop short of just an innocent boost gauge, or racing pedals, but rather perform serious performance mods and even typically race these cars on weekends. I'd say that, with the XJR, Jaguar finally broke that old mentality that included "adequate power".

And, I couldn't possibly care less about the fact that boy racers and "ricers" put gauges on their A-pillars, along with coffee-can exhaust pipes in their little Civics ... who cares, it doesn't make an XJR driver one of them.

It's not atypical to see Jags with A-pillar gauges and even Racing Green Cars in the UK, after upgrading the ECU and adding water methanol injection, places a boost gauge actually right on top of the dash (see pic below) because, again, on a supercharged Jaguar it should not offend anybody and it is, simply, not out of place.

Besides, my strong "gauge" background betrays me. From an entire life of aircraft instrumentation, I'm a "gauge" guy by definition and I have always loved seeing an instrument cluster/panel with a generous group of gauges, as typically seen on many British cars.

I'd say you do not really want to come across my beloved XJS. Not only because of its awesome "gauge exhibit" that everybody loves, but also because of the rest of the upgrades ...it'll totally kill you, man...LOL.

Cheers,

Old 06-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Well, I forgot the attachments, so here.

BTW, that grey picture, it says XJR but that appears to be an XK instead. But that gauge looks awesome there and a heck of a lot better than the install I did on my own XJR. I should emulate that.

Cheers,

Attached Thumbnails baseline boost level?-racing-green-cars.jpg   baseline boost level?-boost-gauge-pillar.jpg   baseline boost level?-xjr-pillar-gauge.jpg  

Last edited by Forcedair1; 06-09-2016 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny_B (06-10-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tirefriar
Thank you Greverrr - the gauge looks better than expected. Your pics with lighting show how proper lighting is essential to makes it look just in place. Plus it's easily reversible, just replace the center panel, correct? No offense to pillar mounted gauges but I've seen too many of these in wannabe boy racers and as such they do not associate with any sort of sophistication in my mind. Yes, their application in track or drag cars is proper but it doesn't add much to an elegance of the Jaguar's interior. Just my humble opinion.

I'm with tirefriar, and as a 30+ year Flight Engineer, gauges are my life! Just not in my XJR 100 or my XJS ( my TR-6 is a gaugapalooza&#128521 Do I wish Jaguar put in a proper oil pressure, boost etc gauge.....YES. But I'm not adding them. Just my unwanted $.02. I'm also in no way insinuating the pictures of others cars are displeasing in anyway, I'm just not a fan of the aftermarket gauges in a Jaguar.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I LOVE that clock so no way I'm giving it up.

Anyways, I've got a triple gauge dash pod that's only been
under construction since about the time this thread started

Old 06-10-2016, 08:21 AM

Hahaha thats funny Plums, must be the normal working timeline for gauge projects.

Like I said early on, I think a boost gauge is cool whereever. Not sure if everyone here knows the "dynamic" of my car, but it has literally a novels length list of mods (character length maxed out in signiture) and I have no right knocking any mod anyone does, therefore I dont.

I'm the guy who will stop at the Chrysler K wagon car at the car show with the 12" aluminum wing on the back and 13" 80's American Racing wheels and say, "Right on! Throw a Dodge Spririt R/T Turbo in it!" Its all in the eye of the beholder, and that is what matters to me at least.

I get asked by people everyday to do mods on peoples cars that I may not be partial too, but if they are sure it is what they want I will go ahead with it. Sorry no non-functional hood scoops, tribal lettering, or hub caps, and no I can't make your Geo Metro sound like my Jag with a turbo muffler I have limits!

Last edited by greverrr; 06-10-2016 at 08:56 AM. Reason: looked cluttered
Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

I have to agree, while my sons lowered e46 is not my cup of tea I do admire the time he puts into it. In the end I don't do anything to my car to get the admiration of anyone else, I do it because it pleases me. I may think differently of modding mine if it were a base XJR but as a 100 I've got reservations of doing anything to it. It's got the stage Ii kit on it but I still have the original harmonic balancer and upper pulley to go back on if anyone were to want to reverse it.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 193 Posts

So what was the PSI reading when on boost??

Have you ported your charge coolers yet? That may be your current bottleneck.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

How difficult was installing this?

I wouldn't mind the same for my STR as I usually monitor it on my Torque app but would prefer a fixed gauge.

Quick Reply: baseline boost level?