XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

buzzing noise in sport mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buzzing noise in sport mode

Yo, welcome bro! Yeah when I bought my 98 earlier this yearin lateJanurary.I was stoked until a month later the gas prices soared even more and vehicles dropped like hotcakes (ouch wishI would have waited!) May I ask how much it was for the 99 XJR from the dealership there?

Firstly, you couldn't have made a better decision getting the extended warranty from the dealership, you literallyjust saved your self thousands! I would take it over asap to get the timing tensioner's and chains all done if not at least checked, as I thinkyour rough idle is definitely something due to the failing timing system (techs can confirm). My 98 used to do that when I first got it due to failing timing tensioners (check my post here https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_51628/tm.htmshows how bad they can get!)

Any problem you are experiencing you can tell them to check out, you're very lucky to be under warranty, take it over there asap! (my two cents) Lets us know man!

Old 12-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: buzzing noise in sport mode

Well i'm pretty certain all they have to do is pop off the timing (valve) cover so that's not a big job, if you have the correct tools and rachets, I suggest doing it yourself real quick. If the tensioner's areorange and such like mine pictured, thats a definite start. Iput much faith behind my hypothesis that for that many miles and being a 99, those tensioners are definitely getting worse on each cold start. I'm not trying to 'scare' you into getting it done in the least bro, just saying i'd at least be safe and take the valvecover off for a visual inspection.

That's not a job to mess around with from what i've seen the techs say here and have seen in person, one of the few that can cripple your Kittyindefinitely.TheUpper tensioners/Lower chains never really go bad it appears, they aren't hydraulic either, they are fixed. Those would require the enging to be taken apart a lot more.

As for your questions, yeah that quote was from the FactoryJaguarTech (FJT) he helped a lot on the forum at the time, doesnt post anymore. I've got an 04 now as well just don't have up the pics or taken any to post just yet, got it a few months back. It's I enjoy it a lot and don't drive the 98 much. the 98 there is CFS / AGD = Carnival Red Pearl Clearcloat / Oatmeal