XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Cat Not Ready?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Received 12,734 Likes on 6,378 Posts

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Don, thank you. That document says 2004, the last x308 was in 2003, are those procedures accurate for my car?

Tune up, that's a good joke, lol. My car is all OEM from 2002 and still drives beautifully on the original plugs, coils, injectors and filters. I've checked the airbox a few years ago and it was relatively clean, obviously the oil filter has been changed. Regardless, if there was an issue that was visible to the sensors it would throw a code, I've got no codes at all besides p1000 so it's not likely an issue of old parts.
Hi vdpnyc,

Your car has the Denso 16-bit Engine Management System and the 2004 cars have the Denso 32-bit EMS, but as far as I know, the OBDII standards and on-board monitoring were the same for both years. I believe it was 2001 when the EPA changed the standard from allowing up to two unset readiness monitors to allowing only one. Unless you have a better idea, I think it would be worth trying the drive cycles in that 2004 manual.

Also, since mysterious malfunctions are due to multiple components operating just a little outside of specification, my recommendation would be to change your 16-year-old spark plugs and fuel filter, check and probably change your air filter, and clean the ground points associated with the Engine Management System and the engine ground strap. You can find these in the Electrical Guide at the link below. A partially-clogged fuel filter makes the fuel pump work harder, so don't be surprised if you learn your pump is failing prematurely.

A tune-up may resolve your issues altogether, but at the very least you will eliminate the renewed components as possible contributors to the malfunctions.

Jaguar X308 Electrical Guide 2002

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 12-29-2018 at 06:30 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (10-19-2018), XJRay (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Honestly, I appreciate the help but to follow those suggestions and repair seemingly-working components because they're old is just guessing. I don't know how to fix this, but the last thing I'm going to do is sink unnecessary money into the car before it passes inspection.

That document starts with specifying the vehicles it applies to, and it says clearly that it is the aluminum bodied x350, so those procedures are not going to resolve x308 issues and would be a waste of time/gas trying. I've tried several times the procedures in the obd-11 document previously attached and to my dismay it made another module go from ready back to unready. Does anyone have the recommended procedure for an x308?

Old 10-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Just saw on another forum someone recommended hard resetting the car when it didn't get ready quickly, at this point I think I'm going to try that as this is looking hopeless any other way.

Old 10-13-2018, 07:46 PM

Honestly, I appreciate the help but to follow those suggestions and repair seemingly-working components because they're old is just guessing.
Replacing spark plugs and filters is not guessing, it's basic maintenance, required on every automobile manufactured since 1886. Jaguar engines are so smooth that it's common for them to run suboptimally without the driver knowing, until the malfunctions worsen. But since you are averse to spending money on basic maintenance items, or even the gasoline to try some drive cycles, perhaps you'll have enough saved up to pay for new catalytic converters when yours fail prematurely due to undetected misfires.

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
AD2014 (10-19-2018), XJRay (10-13-2018)
Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I just ran into this problem as well. Have you gone for your emission/smog test? I got fed up and went in and it passed with the cat not ready. In Ontario, canada there is also the option of doing a tailpipe test if you fail the computer test twice. Maybe its worth giving it a shot.

The following users liked this post:
vdpnyc (10-14-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member

Robert, thank you that is a great suggestion but apparently in NYC for cars after a certain year they don't do the smog test and rather rely on the OBD-II readings, and unfortunately it seems no shop would even hook the inspection-machine up so long as there is more than one module not ready when they initially plug in their code-scanners - I've been to 5 inspection stations already inquiring... This is not a fun problem

Old 10-19-2018, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Don, thank you. That document says 2004, the last x308 was in 2003, are those procedures accurate for my car?
It'll be in the freely downloadable workshop manual I expect and may also be on JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Tune up, that's a good joke, lol. My car is all OEM from 2002 and still drives beautifully on the original plugs, coils, injectors and filters. I've checked the airbox a few years ago and it was relatively clean, obviously the oil filter has been changed. Regardless, if there was an issue that was visible to the sensors it would throw a code, I've got no codes at all besides p1000 so it's not likely an issue of old parts.
Now that you've cleared the monitors it can easily be that the car can no longer figure what's wrong i.e. can't flag helpful codes.

If trying the drive cycle doesn't help you may be part-swapping or getting OBD live data and trying to grasp any hints in it - not easy.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Hello Don:
Could use your help

cant get cat monitor test or evap test to cycle.

what TSB info do you have?

what is entailed within these tests?

im not throwing any other codes.

ive had the evap system smoke tested. No leaks.
ive replaced the evap valve under the hood.
could the purge valve be bad? How could I check that?

all o2 sensors appear to be working.

what systems do these monitor tests operate? Example: What parts do the cat monitor test? Cat,o2, etc....

2002 xj8

thanks.
im msg you because your my last resort for info and literature.

I love to read, so send anything you think may be helpful no matter how technical

thank you
please PM me.

Last edited by Rpach10115; 10-20-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rpach10115
cant get cat monitor test or evap test to cycle. [snip]

im not throwing any other codes.

ive had the evap system smoke tested. No leaks.
ive replaced the evap valve under the hood.
could the purge valve be bad? How could I check that?

all o2 sensors appear to be working.

what systems do these monitor tests operate? Example: What parts do the cat monitor test? Cat,o2, etc....

2002 xj8

Hi Rpach10115,

It's curious that you have no DTCs stored. One suggestion I can think of is to use a scanner that can read Mode $06 data. The Torque Pro app on your smart phone used with an ELM327 bluetooth OBDII adapter is probably the most affordable setup that can read Mode $06. In Torque Pro, click the Test Results icon and scroll down to see which TIDs (Test Identifiers) and CIDs (Component Identifiers) are outside of the specified range. You can then look up the TIDs and CIDs in the document I am attaching (see pdf pages 12 and 13). This can help narrow down your diagnosis. For example, it may tell you in which bank the catalyst monitor has issues, or whether the EVAP monitor is not resetting due to a leak smaller than 20 Thousandths or a problem with system flow. The attached document, along with the one I posted earlier, explain the various readiness monitor systems and what they look for to reset.

Another suggestion would be to put all four O2 sensors on one Live Data screen and watch the upstream and downstream sensors as pairs to see if they behave essentially identically or if one pair doesn't behave similarly - this may help you identify a failing O2S.

With no DTCs, these would be my next steps to try to narrow down the diagnosis.

Cheers,

Don

Attached Files

Last edited by Don B; 10-21-2018 at 11:26 PM.