Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Des Moines Iowa Jaguar mechanic (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/des-moines-iowa-jaguar-mechanic-51126/)

jimlsanders 03-09-2011 11:11 AM

Des Moines Iowa Jaguar mechanic

Last year I wrote on this forum about a 1998 Vanden Plas and the problems with the engine freezing up. It turned out I had to replace the engine. As some may remember, I got this car for my son when he graduated from high school (I got it from a relative who didn't want to replace the transmission).

So now I have about $11,000 or more in transmission, another used engine and other details for a car that may be worth $4,000-$5,000.

No regrets. I love driving the car.

Anyways, my son is a freshman at Drake University in Des Moines Iowa. He is flying here (Tucson) this Monday and he and a friend will drive the car back to Iowa.

All I want to know is if anyone can recommend a good, honest, reasonably priced mechanic in Des Moines, Iowa or relatively close by.

Thank you.

Jim

jimlsanders 03-10-2011 06:55 PM

Need a mechanic in Des Moines area

anyone know of one who is decent?

jimlsanders 11-21-2012 05:38 PM

Practically giving it away

I hope people can see this. I had enough with the Jag. The engine is missfiring and the local mechanic in Des Moines sayes $1,200 minimum and possibly up to $4,000.

So, I'm getting my son a Honda. Anyone interested in a 2008 Vanden Plas fo9r parts or wanting to put a new engine in it.

If so contact me at 520 322-0088.

Jim Sanders

jimlsanders 11-21-2012 05:40 PM

PS, if this will get read more in a different thread, someone please tell me which one or just copy what I wrote into the thread.

Thanks

RJ237 11-21-2012 07:22 PM

Is that a 1998 or 2008?
Assuming it's still the 1998, it should be much more than a parts car with all you spent on it. Or maybe this is just another example of poor quality mechanics ruining a good car.

danielsand 11-21-2012 07:55 PM

Engine is misfiring? The question is why? I'd like to take a peek at the codes. Most mechanics (unless you have a relationship with them) see a Jag, and the Dollar signs pop up in their eyes.

You did not say what kind of engine you put in, condition, mileage, who did the work, etc. That info would shed some light on this also.

I firmly believe that in order to keep the Jag running, one has to be a DIY person. I have (fortunately) a mechanic that I can trust, but I still supervise EVERYTHING that's been done, and I NEVER leave my car in the shop unsupervised. I am aware that most people can not do that, and that's unfortunate.

I diagnose the problem myself (with the help of the boards like this one) using my scanner, and procure the OEM parts CHEAP. If I feel like wrenching, I do the work myself, if not.....my mechanic gets PRECISE instructions what to do, and I watch him do it.

Tell us more about the engine you replaced. How many miles on the body (condition?), what kind of tranny did you put in,.....depending on the answers, and the asking price, I might be interested.

jimlsanders 11-23-2012 12:53 PM

The reason is the timing chain.

If you or someone wants to purchase let me know. Cheap.

It is 1998. I keep getting that messed up.

It has a rebuilt transmission with about 25,000 miles, guessing.

The engine in it had about 64,000 on it, from a wreck in LA. Probably has 80,000 on it now. The rear bumper is missing some paint. Read headliner not attached. Finally, as I remember the rear had one dent. It is Madera red. Interior, besides headliner in good condition. Has a new center arm rest.

danielsand 11-23-2012 01:08 PM

"The reason is the timing chain". What does this mean? Did the timing chain break, jump the tooth, or what? Did you have the tensioners upgraded before the engine installation? Finally,....some pictures would be nice, and a total mileage showing on the odometer. And of course,....the asking price.
Is the car in Iowa now, or in AZ? Can it be driven, or it needs to be trailered?
You can PM the answers if you don't want to post on the open forum.

jimlsanders 11-24-2012 12:49 PM

The car is in Des Moines, I am in Arizona and my son is in China and will not be back to Des Moines until sometime in January.

I have not been able to see the car but have made the decision to get rid of it.
I report I got is that the problem is with the tensioners. It run but shakes badly, so it would probably need to be towed.

As far as price, somewhere between $0 and $1,000 is what I'm thinking.

You can call me if you wish (520 322-0088) however, I really do not have more information.

Where are you located?

dsnyder586 11-24-2012 01:25 PM

Danielsand- Do it.

danielsand 11-24-2012 05:15 PM

Just called Jim, we'll try to work something out.

outreeclat 07-24-2015 06:23 PM

Jag mechanic in Des Moines

The original post was looking for a good Jaguar mechanic in Des Moines, which neither of you even neared.

AJ16er 03-14-2019 07:02 PM

I chose to revive this old because I am wondering what it costs to rebuild one of the 4 litre V8's in the X308? There is an otherwise good condition '99 Vanden Plas with engine problems for sale not far from me and it got me thinking.

Ungn 03-15-2019 04:11 PM

It is likely cheaper to buy a good running 4.0L from a car with a bad transmission (or rust/body damage) and swap in new timing chain parts than "rebuilding" a badly damaged motor.