XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Did You Know That Your X308.........

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by cliveb
I tried this one and it worked just as described, thanks CK.
Do you know what all the other numbers do? i.e. 12345678...when you press the am/fm and tape eject simultaneously?
Clive
Yes...................sort of,

1= RBDS mode. radio broadcast data system. I'm hazy on its function, but it is something to do with auto-tuning to the closest RBDS station.
2=On/Off select for cassette cleaning reminder, A timed thing that displays a "Clean Cassette Now" warning
3= Antenna cleaning, another reminder feature you can turn on/off. it displays a "Clean Antenna Now" warning.
4= An on/off function if the car was fitted with a Jaguar telephone.
5= Cassette eject on/off feature
6= Not used
7=Diversity Antenna system (Jaguar doesn't use a diversity antenna so a "non-functioning" setting
8=AF on/off (alternate frequency) hazy on this one, something to do with helping fading signals
9= Not Used

The following users liked this post:
Roldano (04-10-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM
Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm loving this thread. Learned a few new things and found myself reminded of a few others that I'd forgot. Thanks!

wrd0225 (06-28-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
Did you know that if you turn the door lock counterclockwise with your key, and hold it, all four windows will go down. Useful for airing the interior on a hot day. (The key would be turned clockwise in a RHD car)
The opposite is also true for closing all windows (hold key in locked direction to close all, so hold clockwise in LHD, and vice versa).

If, on the climate control panel, you deselect the blower direction (face, face/feet, etc) so that none are lit, the climate system will cycle thru the appropriate modes based on requested temp, detected temp, detected humidity, etc. Kind of like in full auto mode, but you still keep control of the fan speed to keep things quiet. Same thing if you go into auto mode, then change fan speed.

If you have headlights/sidelights on, and turn on hazards, when you turn off hazards the hazard button backlight will stay dark for a moment before fading up to a dim backlit brightness. Not really useful but it's kind of neat.

If your climate control is beeping, there's a procedure to pull error codes from it to find out why. Also works when it's not beeping, there's a bunch of codes that won't cause it to beep. On top of this, there's a test mode which runs thru all the motor positions, useful for diagnosing motor/heater/etc faults.

Driver position recall based off remote can be disabled, so that if your pots are dying, or you use multiple remotes, or just don't want to have it, your adjustments won't be thrown off when you unlock the car.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

OR....................

Did you know that you can easily check your ride height.

Simply measure from the center of the wheel emblems to the mid-point of the fender arch, and reference this chart.

Probably the easiest way is to have a full tank of gas and use the "Curb" measurements.

Any low ride height measurements usually indicates worn shocks, worn front shock-plates and/or worn rear donut spacers. Replacement of these parts usually brings the ride height back to factory-new specs.

Roldano (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Last week I started my car, turned on the radio and received a message in the radio display telling me " The Antenna Needs Cleaning". I didn't remember the exact verbiage because I started laughing. Maybe I can recreate the resistance that triggered the message and get a picture of the message again.

I did clean the antenna and have not seen the message again

Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagSter63
Last week I started my car, turned on the radio and received a message in the radio display telling me " The Antenna Needs Cleaning". I didn't remember the exact verbiage because I started laughing. Maybe I can recreate the resistance that triggered the message and get a picture of the message again.

I did clean the antenna and have not seen the message again
JagSter, I'm pretty sure the "Clean Antenna Now" message is a timed reminder event, rather than any reported resistance experienced by the antenna mast.

The "Clean Cassette Now" reminder is a similarly timed reminder.

And of course both can be turned off. .

Roldano (04-19-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the heads up CK. That makes sense, but still makes me laugh.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagSter63
Thanks for the heads up CK. That makes sense, but still makes me laugh.
Yes, Initially I thought it was based on some sort of resistance factor to the antenna, and I was scratching my head as to how they would design this, then I read that it was simply a timed thing.

I have both the "Clean Antenna Now" and Clean Cassette Now" warnings turned off, but after reading all about these features I did order a cassette cleaning tape off e-Bay!

JagSter63 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

OR......................

Did you know that the turn signal "beep" or "clicking" sound that you hear is not from the usual barrel-type relay, but emanates from an actual speaker.

The speaker is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and is located behind the steering column lower cowl, right next to the ignition switch. To allow the sound to broadcast clearly into the car interior there is a multi-hole mesh area in the lower surround cowl, directly in front of the speaker.

I don't know about you, but the turn signal audio is way too loud for my liking. To reduce the volume to an acceptable level all you have to do is undo the two Phillips screws on the underside of the steering column lower cowl and it simply drops away revealing the speaker. Now just tape some electrical tape over the inside of multi-hole mesh area and the noise level is reduced by about 50%. The speaker is mounted on a plastic support bracket, and you can also tape additional electrical tape over this to reduce the noise level even more.

I did this this morning, and it is oh so much better to not have to listen to that annoyingly loud Click Click Click of the turn signal speaker!

neurojag (04-23-2019)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:01 PM
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Jaguar telephone looks like ?
Dutchy

Old 04-21-2019, 07:17 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

OR....................

Did you know that you can easily check your ride height.

Simply measure from the center of the wheel emblems to the mid-point of the fender arch, and reference this chart.

Probably the easiest way is to have a full tank of gas and use the "Curb" measurements.

Any low ride height measurements usually indicates worn shocks, worn front shock-plates and/or worn rear donut spacers. Replacement of these parts usually brings the ride height back to factory-new specs.

Very interesting. Do you know why the ROW XJR rode considerably lower than the NAS ones? Also, why does the Super V8 ride one mm lower than the comfort suspension equipped N/A cars - equal to the sport suspension N/A cars. Maybe just the extra weight of the car naturally compresses the springs a tiny bit more?

Old 04-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

AJ16 what is ROW Market?
Dutchy

Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Rest of World - outside North America. I am just trying to figure out what the S stands for in NAS.

Old 04-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by AJ16er
Rest of World - outside North America. I am just trying to figure out what the S stands for in NAS.
NAS= North American Specification

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 04-22-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

OR......................

Did you know that the turn signal "beep" or "clicking" sound that you hear is not from the usual barrel-type relay, but emanates from an actual speaker.

I did this this morning, and it is oh so much better to not have to listen to that annoyingly loud Click Click Click of the turn signal speaker!

My speaker's been DOA since day 1, can't say I'm pressed to remedy it either lol.

Old 06-02-2019, 12:53 AM
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice bits of info here.

Thank you,

Carnival Kid (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:27 PM
Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

This is probably well known, but I just recently discovered it. The button on the end of the turn signal cycles through the trip odometer, average fuel economy, instant fuel economy, distance to empty, etc, which I knew. What I didn't know is the the "Clear" button on the dash cycles between the normal odometer and the last setting you chose from the turn signal button. To clear the trip counter, you have to scroll to it using the turn signal button, then hold down the 000 button on the dash. I used to think 000 was actually ODO, which I thought should switch to the odometer, but nope.

Carnival Kid (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:45 PM

Did you know that your X308 had these options available when new? I spent quite a bit of time finding these items and installing them in my car. No reason, I just like doing that kind of thing...

Optional lock box. On the floor is the optional trunk floor liner. I don't have a good picture of the liner.

Optional umbrella and mounting straps

Glove box flashlight available for the X308

Under hood tool kit.

Last edited by aquifer; 06-02-2019 at 05:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by aquifer:
Carnival Kid (06-02-2019), Iconoclast (06-05-2019), XJDanny (06-03-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

Didn't know about the lockbox, or the flashlight, or the trunk lid umbrella (although I do have my own homemade umbrella mount).

I would like to have one of those original under-hood tool kits, one of these days I'll anti up for one off eBay.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:06 PM

The umbrella itself is a current one that Jaguar sells because I haven't found a period correct umbrella yet, but the installation strap kit was new old stock. The flashlight was NOS as well. The batteries had long ago leaked onto the felt liner, so it's kind of discolored where they leaked, but I still thought it was kinda neat so I had to have it.

Quick Reply: Did You Know That Your X308.........