Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Disaster ?? !! 01 VDP (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/disaster-01-vdp-82101/)

Boomer from Boston 10-05-2012 07:29 PM

Disaster ?? !! 01 VDP

I took my 01 VDP to the store this evening, a couple of miles or so from my house. I had run the car in the driveway earlier, so it was partly warm when I went out. It ran fine on the way to the store, as always before.

HOWEVER, coming out of the store, it seemed to catch or hesitate when I cranked the starter. Then it started, but ran very roughly. No clattering or evil noises. Just running very rough.

Since it was running (sort of), and not making any bad noises, and nothing seemed to be getting worse, I crawled home.

CEL came on, flashing! I read out the codes: P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0327, P1111. The first five tell me that one side of the engine is not running. Groan! The P0327 is a knock sensor code, that has come on from time to time before, so that doesn't concern me to much.

Is it possible that a timing chain broke while starting? Are there other possibilities? Is it time to junk this car and buy another? I'm in a bit of shock, as it has always run flawlessly the two years I have had it. 84000 miles, and no, I had not changed the tensioners. It was on my "to do" list for this year, but we sold our house and moved, and I hadn't got to car projects yet.

:icon_bricks:

dsnyder586 10-05-2012 07:55 PM

Check the tensioners first and foremost. Then compression (if they check out ok)

Then let us know what you find out.

Gus 10-05-2012 07:59 PM

It is possible that your chain might have jumped a notch but the only way to know for sure is to pull the valve cover. I guess you will be replacing the tensioners sooner than you planned. Yes the P0327 is the knock sensor for the “A” side I guess it was trying to tell you something.

Boomer from Boston 10-05-2012 08:14 PM

Just so I don't get even further confused and dismayed, which side of the engine is involved (US style car)?

Gus 10-05-2012 08:21 PM

This should help http://jagrepair.com/images/AutoRepa..._numbering.pdf

Boomer from Boston 10-05-2012 08:27 PM

Thanks, Gus. So evidently my problems are on the passenger side.

Sean B 10-06-2012 04:56 AM

and your problem is a tensioner failure - 99% of these are on start up. Time for the tools rental / zip tie method buddy, and do both sides.

DO NOT START THE CAR AGAIN UNTIL TIMING COVER OFF! OR IT WILL BE A DISASTER - YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT SO FAR.....

steveinfrance 10-06-2012 05:17 AM

Two good bits of advice
Check the tensioners first and foremost. Then compression (if they check out ok)
and
DO NOT START THE CAR AGAIN UNTIL TIMING COVER OFF! OR IT WILL BE A DISASTER - YOU GOT AWAY WITH IT SO FAR..
Only check compression if you're sure the timing is OK, just turning the engine over on the starter can do damage if valves and pistons are trying to be in the same place at the same time.

Boomer from Boston 10-06-2012 09:43 AM

I'm not sure I have got away with anything yet - I wonder if the offending chain just snapped, and the passenger side head is wrecked? For the whole side of the engine to not run, I would think that implies something worse than the chain having just skipped a tooth.

Well, I won't know until I look. I have to clear some garage space and get the car up a slight incline and inside (maybe push with my garden tractor?). Might take a day or so.

Looking ahead, the best outcome will be that a tensioner job will fix everything. If the chain is snapped, then I will have to pull the head and examine for damage. Maybe buy a used head or have mine rebuilt? If rebuilding is an option, I will have to get recommendations for good outfits that do that.

I am now living in the Springfield Mass. area and last night I did a quick web search for any nearby Jaguar repair shops, in case things turn out to be really bad and I don't want to tackle a complex job. One name that popped up was J. E Robison in Springfield. Does anyone on the Forum know them or can offer an opinion? Or can recommend anyone else within 50 mi or so?

Well, off to get some coffee. It's going to be a long day!

steveinfrance 10-06-2012 10:06 AM

Fingers crossed.