Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Do I need to reprogram a swapped instrument cluster/speedometer (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/do-i-need-reprogram-swapped-instrument-cluster-speedometer-44680/)

xjrwithproblems 10-29-2010 08:11 PM

Do I need to reprogram a swapped instrument cluster/speedometer

I think i read somewhere before where if you swapped instrument clusters, the dealer would have to reprogram it for it to operate? But i have read of others just swapping them with no reprogramming necessary. My instrument panel is done for, I have an XJR but have found an xj8 cluster locally for $50; was thinking about picking it up; I would assume they are interchangeable. does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks

MidlifeXJR 10-29-2010 08:36 PM

I don't know about the reprogramming, but the XJ8 cluster will be missing the "supercharged" badge on the tachometer if you care.

steve11 10-30-2010 07:24 AM

I believe so on a 1999. The odometer reading on your original unit syncs up every startup with the body processor module and the ECM. If the odometer reading is changed (used unit) the modules will not see what they are expecting and the security feature will lock out.

ixj8it 10-30-2010 06:27 PM

I say try it and let us know what happens. It is only $50. I know on Caravans and Town & Country vans the odometer data is stored in the BCM and a swapped cluster will get the correct mileage from the BCM. You do have to be careful in swapping PCMs and BCMs though because mixing one that has security with one that doesnt will cause it to lock out! I learned this the hard way.

Jaxkr 10-30-2010 07:34 PM

The cluster does not need to be programmed however you need a cluster from a supercharged car otherwise the display will show incorrect part fitted, also the connector on 1999 & 2000 cars are not the same.

motorcarman 10-30-2010 09:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some info to look at

bob gauff

Sean B 10-31-2010 06:14 AM

I have a question, I've used a donor to install all electrical systems into a new body-shell, the mileage is higher on the donor, I'd like to match it to the original. I've been told mileage adjustment is possible, but will it lock out?

Brutal 10-31-2010 06:49 AM

its possible and yes they have to be programmed on "chipped" ignition keys. The key programming is retained in the I pack, youll need all keys and at least 2 for programming. Any missing keys will be deleted, but can be programmed later unlike the new smart keys with push button start operation(except the new 2011 XJ)
You should call several speedo repair shops about mileage, while I know you cannot change the mileage through Jaguar software, I met a guy in Moab Utah that owns a speedo shop in Cali. and he said he bought the software to programmed ALL I packs and mileage. He said the software and equip cost him 30k but that may have been an exaggeration who knows. I know software like that is expensive. But call around and ask because without this capabilty, speedo shops would be out of business if they dont expand and stay up with new tech. At the dealer level as long as the VCATs suffix's match ie 001, 005, 002 etc for the Ipack theyre considered compatible modules.

Jaxkr 10-31-2010 07:12 AM

If your car is an X308 they instrument pack does not need to be programmed, I have swapped over clusters & never had to do the keys. The S Type & X Type as well as X350 all need to be programmed.

xjrwithproblems 11-04-2010 10:57 PM

Alright guys. So, I did the swap, no reprogramming needed and no fault codes. It is working perfectly.

allycom 02-14-2011 04:59 AM

XJ8 speedo

I have a similar issue and I am not sure if you say there is a solution: I need a new speedo but want to retain my original mileage, turning back/forward seems a problem.

Any ideas?

Sean B 02-14-2011 06:28 AM

If you give EuroJag a ring in the UK with the model year and mileage - they'll do a near match. Or you can send a replacement to a mileage correction supplier, there're plenty in the UK, but I don't know about were you are!

http://www.eurojag.com/

allycom 02-14-2011 08:03 PM

mileage correction supplier in UK

Hi I am in Thailand so I could EMS or ship the speedo to someone if you know of 1 or 2 reliable and reasonable I would appreciate names, numbers or links and I will follow up.
Thanks

Malik Herbert 01-27-2017 11:42 AM

2 keys

Originally Posted by Brutal (Post 263195)
its possible and yes they have to be programmed on "chipped" ignition keys. The key programming is retained in the I pack, youll need all keys and at least 2 for programming. Any missing keys will be deleted, but can be programmed later unlike the new smart keys with push button start operation(except the new 2011 XJ)
You should call several speedo repair shops about mileage, while I know you cannot change the mileage through Jaguar software, I met a guy in Moab Utah that owns a speedo shop in Cali. and he said he bought the software to programmed ALL I packs and mileage. He said the software and equip cost him 30k but that may have been an exaggeration who knows. I know software like that is expensive. But call around and ask because without this capabilty, speedo shops would be out of business if they dont expand and stay up with new tech. At the dealer level as long as the VCATs suffix's match ie 001, 005, 002 etc for the Ipack theyre considered compatible modules.

so do I need to keys or could it be done with one and the other key be deleted untill I get another one

Jeph 10-20-2021 05:16 PM

Hi there,
I have a 2006 XK8 Victory Coupe. We have been chasing a gremlin and it seems to be in the cluster. I found one of the same year and just about the same mileage (crazy huh?). If I read your post right this should be a plug and go situation?

motorcarman 10-20-2021 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This discussion was originally about the 4.0 cars.

The 4.2 liter XKs are different from the 4.0 cars.
The later cars have a VID block that has components that are NOT plug&play.

Please read and understand TSB 1-186 for info about configuration.