Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Driver Seat Bolster Re-Dye (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/driver-seat-bolster-re-dye-212539/)

Carnival Kid 01-06-2019 04:42 PM

Driver Seat Bolster Re-Dye

I know this has been covered in the past, but I just thought I should report on a site i purchased some leather dye from.
Great deals from SEATS RESTORE in JAGUAR- | eBay Stores

The rear seats and passenger seat in my car look brand new, and the driver's seat is near perfect, except for some wear sign on the left bolster of the seat.

I use the seat memory to automatically slide the driver seat back, and when I enter the car I turn around and back onto the seat, and then swing my legs in, but the previous owner must have entered in the traditional way and supported himself upon entry by placing his left had on the left bolster. Over time this shows some creasing and wear, which was bugging me. Cleaning it with leather cleaner and/or conditioner did nothing to remove or hide the wear, and so I ordered some code-matching dye (NED-Ivory) from "SeatRestore".

I intended to take some before-and after-pics, but forgot! But anyway, I am more than pleased with the color-match, how easy the product is to use, and how good the results are. Considering how small an amount of dye you get (2oz), it is relatively expensive, but you use so little that it is actually good value......if that makes sense!

The thing that I found interesting was that SeatRestore recommends using only Pledge Furniture Polish on the leather to "protect and enhance the luster of the leather". It specifically states NOT to use products such as ArmorAll, Lexol or any leather conditioner or cleaner.

Highhorse 01-06-2019 08:38 PM

Pledge doesn't have any chemical breakdown additives because its just putting polish on a finish. Its not being used as a cleaner like the other products, to get the built up dirt out. Which will remove the applied dye. Not a problem if you don't ever get the leather dirty. But expect some dye wear with some heavier rubbing on those dirty areas.

Z07Brandon 01-06-2019 10:28 PM

Thanks for the link! I'll buy some to re-dye the driver seat on the xjr.

Carnival Kid 01-07-2019 12:59 PM

I know this is virtually useless without a "before" pic, and I'm kicking myself for not taking one, but here is the driver seat after some touch-up with SeatsRestore dye.

They supply some sponge brushes in the kit, but I found applying with a soft cloth worked best.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5971b2689f.jpg

ericjansen 01-07-2019 03:33 PM

I have done quite some interiors over the last year, including my own XK the last week, I find it super satisfying work.
Experimented with all kind of cleaners, liquids and gels, some on quite dirty, light colored seats.

In my experience, a bucket of hand-warm water with some dish washer and a rightly chosen brush works very well, on par with most cleaners.
Just be sure to use towels to soak the water when it drips down.

On the dye, I have used touch-up bottles for several years.
If a color match, you can have an absolute invisible repair, the very satisfying part :).

However, they are all water based, just like the original Jaguar dye, and I found the repair stuff does not bond that well.
I just had my VDP seats out of the car, and while deep-cleaning them, most of the old dye (from my first try ~5 years ago) came off.
I repaired the most worn parts (like the door side bolster) with an oil based dye, seems to bond much better / deeper.
Needles to say that all this depends on the preparations of the leather before applying.

Finally, after experiencing with several, I ended up using Gliptone as a conditioner.
It is liquid, easy to use, leaves a very nice matt surface, and it adds that typical leather smell to the car.
My favorite for smell is Zaino 10 however, the smell that conditioner adds is perfect, I use it on "smelly" cars.

Carnival Kid 01-07-2019 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen (Post 2010614)
I have done quite some interiors over the last year, including my own XK the last week, I find it super satisfying work. Experimented with all kind of cleaners, liquids and gels, some on quite dirty, light colored seats. I have used touch-up bottles for several years.If a color match, you can have an absolute invisible repair, the very satisfying part :)..

Yes, my driver seat was really only showing wear on the bolster, but it was really bugging me, so I was very pleased with how easy it was use the dye, and how nicely it brought it back to an "as new" condition.

On the dye.............., they are all water based, just like the original Jaguar dye, and I found the repair stuff does not bond that well.
I just had my VDP seats out of the car, and while deep-cleaning them, most of the old dye (from my first try ~5 years ago) came off.I repaired the most worn parts (like the door side bolster) with an oil based dye, seems to bond much better / deeper.Needles to say that all this depends on the preparations of the leather before applying..

Yes, I'm sure these "repairs" cannot compare with the original leather dye process and have to be treated relatively carefully regarding using subsequent conditioners/conditioners, which is probably why SeatsRestore recommends the use of furniture polish products, as per HighHorse's post this is because it avoids the chemicals used in cleaners/conditioners. I will only treat the "repaired" areas with Pledge, and also be prepared to re-dye at a future time, although, due my entry style into the car I don't affect the bolster with acids and wear that are common with traditional entry methods, so maybe I won't have to address this again for a long time.

after experiencing with several, I ended up using Gliptone as a conditioner. It is liquid, easy to use, leaves a very nice matt surface, and it adds that typical leather smell to the car.My favorite for smell is Zaino 10 however, the smell that conditioner adds is perfect, I use it on "smelly" cars.

I see Walmart has Gliptone Leather Conditioner, I will try it.

I'm "familiar" with Zanio, and know it is highly revered in the Corvette world, but have never tried it, maybe I should.

I have been using Mequiar's Leather Conditioner and it seems to work, I also notice that it works better than ArmorAll on plastics like modern unpainted car bumpers, dash and plastic interiors etc.

King Charles 01-07-2019 09:50 PM

I had my front seats professionally filled/re-sprayed when I first acquired this car, it lasted me maybe 12 monthes. Going to go the recover route here once it gets unbearable for me.

aquifer 01-16-2019 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by King Charles (Post 2010745)
I had my front seats professionally filled/re-sprayed when I first acquired this car, it lasted me maybe 12 monthes. Going to go the recover route here once it gets unbearable for me.

What is your plan for recovering your seats? My seats are ok for now, but eventually the drivers seat cover will need to be replaced, or a new bolster panel sewn in (?). I found a place that sells new leather seat upholstery that supposedly color matches and fits like OEM. It is well over $2k for the two front seats so I have not done anything yet.

ericjansen 01-16-2019 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by aquifer (Post 2014522)
My seats are ok for now, but eventually the drivers seat cover will need to be replaced, or a new bolster panel sewn in (?)

I know prices over there are probably slightly different then here.
But if you take out the seats, and take off the covers, the bolster part can be relatively easily taken out, then act as a template for a new piece.
I doubt that will cost 2k ...

By the way, most leather is recoverable as long as it is not too thin, not too rubbed, and not to teared apart.
You should be surprised what you can do with some repair work and a fresh layer of dye.

King Charles 01-17-2019 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by aquifer (Post 2014522)

What is your plan for recovering your seats? My seats are ok for now, but eventually the drivers seat cover will need to be replaced, or a new bolster panel sewn in (?). I found a place that sells new leather seat upholstery that supposedly color matches and fits like OEM. It is well over $2k for the two front seats so I have not done anything yet.

Luckily I have a highly touted upholstery shop near by.

aquifer 01-17-2019 06:53 PM

If I have a new bolster piece sewn in, what are the chances that they would come up with the right shade of black to match the original charcoal black? I wonder about the leather grain, too. I guess I’d just have to approve it before i let them start on it.

ericjansen 01-17-2019 07:36 PM

I am sure, but some of the issues you will have with new covers too ....

If it was mine, I should source an acceptable piece of leather, and buy some Jaguar original matching leather dye.
Dye it before you send it off, then do it an other time after all is sewed in.

I am using stuff from the UK which is a perfect color match for my Ivory, sure you can find your black closer home.
Carnival Kid just bought something locally, see post #1.

RJ237 01-17-2019 07:41 PM

My 06 has charcoal leather seats, unfortunately with alcantara inserts, which do not wear well. But the seat bolster, which had a little wear, looks excellent a year after using black liquid shoe polish to touch up. Used the same on my Z4 seat. A wipe with Leatherique sealer finished it.

aquifer 01-17-2019 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen (Post 2014986)
I am sure, but some of the issues you will have with new covers too ....

If it was mine, I should source an acceptable piece of leather, and buy some Jaguar original matching leather dye.
Dye it before you send it off, then do it an other time after all is sewed in.

I am using stuff from the UK which is a perfect color match for my Ivory, sure you can find your black closer home.
Carnival Kid just bought something locally, see post #1.

I have thought about finding an old seat that has enough good leather in it someplace to use to replace the bolster piece. Maybe the side or bottom area of one of the seats, or even the sides of a back seat. Wouldn’t matter if the seat had a rip in it, as long as there was enough good smooth leather left. Probably would be the best way to ensure color match, and the original Connolly look and feel.