Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   engine shaking? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/engine-shaking-6166/)

nemoah 05-18-2008 12:26 AM

engine shaking?

1999 Jaguar XJ8 V8 81000 miles
----------------------------------------------------------------
Have a 1999 Jaguar XJ8, 81k miles.

Purchased it a few months ago and have it checked out at a jaguar dealer, who said everything was fine.

Car has been sitting out, driven about once every 2 weeks. Drove it for about 15-20 miles today before it started idling very roughly. Things were going fine until we stopped somewhere for about a minute, and after I started the car up again the shaking occurred along with a "restricted performance" alert. This has never happened before, and the car has been driven for much more than 15 miles after I purchased it (~100 mi).

So, engine is rough when idling (shaking is gone or covered up when driving) and a "restricted performance" label appears. Also, I haven't tested this extensively yet, but the AC seems to blow hot air after the car started shaking.

I'm a complete novice at cars, but I once had a car that had a coolant leak into one of the engine cylinders causing it to misfire and thus shake, though the shaking was covered up when the car was actually driving.

How likely is this the case? The car has been sitting around in ~95 degree temperatures for a couple days, and it was driven earlier about 7 miles without problems. I know that it costs a couple thousand to have it repaired and if this was the case..=(.

I also noticed something about checking the EGR valve. Is this something that I can do myself, or do I have to go have someone check it out?

What do you guys recommend that I do?

JagtechOhio 05-18-2008 01:06 AM

RE: engine shaking?

Greetings,

Don't get too concerned about worst case scenarios just yet. The first thing you should do is to locate a competent Jaguar technician in your area, and posting such a request here might prove to be effective.

The Engine Control Module in your car will have a fault code stored which will help to identify the cause of your missfire. The problem could be as simple as a failed spark plug or ignition coil. Your car does not have an EGR valve...it is also not one that is user-friendly in terms of home repairs by a novice. If you decide to attack the problem yourself, have the DTC codes read with a scanner and post them on here. There are others with more time andpatience than I who might be able to walk you through diagnostic and repairprocedures. Best wishes,

Andrew Bernstein
British Auto Care
Powell, Ohio

nemoah 05-30-2008 07:51 PM

I was finally able to get a code reader. I've driven the car scarcely since.

P0302 Cylinder #2 Misfire
P1313 Misfire Rate Catalyst Damage Fault - Bank 1
P0333 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit High Input
P0352 Ignition Coil B Primary/Secondary Circuit
P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete,
P1637 CAN Link ECM/ABS Control Module Circuit/Network

last two say pending

When I last brought it do a jaguar dealership about 2-3 months ago and had them check the car out, they replaced the #4 ignition coil and said everything else looked fine.

Now it seems that the #2 ignition coil is failing? A friend of mine said that an "igniter" might be the problem.

Any ideas? What should I do?

Thanks

jag_genius 05-31-2008 09:53 AM

sounds like you need #2 ignition coil.. and i wud replace both knock sensors.. and then take it for a drive..