XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

Please make it in production

Old 12-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello and thank you for your kind comments. Unfortunatelly this will be a one piece only.
Regrds, George

Old 12-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Excellent look !

I'd also be interested in a plate, as I want to do the same type of up-grade.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

As George has stated on several occasions that this will be a one off piece, I thought I'd try and help you guys out by posting a link to a similar thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...it-ebay-50635/

It has good write ups and is a good price.

S.

The following users liked this post:
reikioz (12-22-2011)
Old 12-22-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I do think the piece that George had made looks much more "factory" than the ebay adapter. I had previously seen the ebay item but felt it looked kind of "Pep Boys", especially with the leaper which seemed a bit tacky. One of the key design diffs with George's unit is that his 1-DIN radio is centered in the mount rather than sitting near the bottom.

I did notice, after my first posting, that George said this was a one off piece. At the same time, the hope is that if if George conveyed the high level of interest to the fabricator that the guy might consider making up some more. Generally, the first is the most costly and time consuming.

We may ultimately need China to provide something more modern looking. You might want to visit these guys and submit a request for a unit that will fit the XJ. If enough people ask, they may produce something (they have a "contact us" link near bottom of page).

Car Dvd Players, Gps Navigation, Gps Navigation Systems, In Dash Dvd Player

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
As George has stated on several occasions that this will be a one off piece, I thought I'd try and help you guys out by posting a link to a similar thread

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...it-ebay-50635/

It has good write ups and is a good price.

S.

Last edited by Amphicar770; 12-22-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dern dude I want one for my '98.. my moto blue tooth above the visor is annoying... always saying charge me... and having that stupid in car charger cord runnin all over... LOL

Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

The leaper is optional on the ebay units, you can have it with or without. You won't get another adaptor like George's unless you go about having one made yourself and having a batch produced for sale.

I'm not going to go with a after market stereo now because I have a FM transmitter that is discreet and works well. I have a tape adaptor that works well and causes me no issues, and I can use either as a hands free kit with my phone which is also my MP3 player.

I would be tempted by a double Din touch screen set up if you could fit it into the XJ8, but with the module located behind the stereo this causes issues sadly.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:20 AM

Have alook at this post, might be helpful.

Cheers,

Frank
http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf
or this one
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/

Old 12-25-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Park and Reverse Sensors

Anyone know the best location to tie into the park brake switch and reverse sensor?

I have a system that needs to tie in to these two points for correct operation (don't want to bypass). DVD requires park brake on, and rear view camera option activates when reverse selected.

I Have JTIS and the wiring schematics, but unable to find a suitable point and not sure how the DVD system detection works (i.e. current sensing)? Don't want to connect to a point that may mess with the control module operation.

Any ideas, comments, suggestions most welcome.

Thanks.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:28 PM

beaky,
Do an ebay search for "park brake bypass" and you will find multiple switches for many different head units. With this you do not need to wire into the park brake and you can "watch" DVDs while you are driving--which I do not recommend but it is do able. They are all around $10-$20 very worth it.

For the back up lights, I did this on another vehicle, but I just connected it to the actual backup light in the trunk. It was right near where I was mounting the camera.

Hope this helps
Joe

Old 12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply Joe.

I didn't really want to bypass for the dvd unless absolutely necessary, but it will certainly be easier. Also, thanks for the reverse light tip, I'll take a look.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:05 PM

I Found it !
Have a look here ..
Hard To Find Radio Dash Kits

Finally! A faceplate adapter kit that allows you to take out that old factory cassette and put in a modern radio of your choice with features like iPod connection,

Satellite Radio and Bluetooth hands-free!

Cheers,

Frank

Last edited by reikioz; 12-28-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 12-29-2011, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by reikioz
I Found it !
Have a look here ..
Hard To Find Radio Dash Kits
That is the eBay adapter.

For my tastes, the 1-din sits too low. Would look better if it were centered in the adapter more like the custom fabricated unit discussed earlier.

Btw, on many navi systems you just hook the parking brake wire to ground and that gives you the bypass.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by Amphicar770
That is the eBay adapter.

For my tastes, the 1-din sits too low. Would look better if it were centered in the adapter more like the custom fabricated unit discussed earlier.

Btw, on many navi systems you just hook the parking brake wire to ground and that gives you the bypass.

That's all very well, except for the fact that the custom made unit isn't available! Beggars etc..

Cheers,

Frank

Old 03-09-2012, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by reikioz
Have alook at this post, might be helpful.

Cheers,

Frank
http://j.roal.home.mchsi.com/X308Bluetooth.pdf
or this one
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ontrols-56937/
I checked out the ICE post and even got hold of facia LJA6318AB.

Unfortunately, it does not look like the XK8 solution will work in our XJ series. Just enough diff in layout of switches to make it a no go. If it did work, it would provide a much cleaner looking integration.

Perhaps the ebay unit could be modified to install the HU at a slight angle but raise it so it is not sitting almost flush at the bottom? The ebay facia is so close but just far enough off to look K-mart.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:00 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed a Kenwood radio in my 2000 XJ8 VDP, using the aftermarket fascia from Greg (sealevel@san.rr.com) along with a steering wheel control adapter, and subwoofer amplifier from Cruchfield. Of course the Nav is no longer installed, but everything else on the car functions as usual. The sound improvement with the new electronics and Pioneer door speakers is dramatic.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by linuxenigma
I just installed a Kenwood radio in my 2000 XJ8 VDP, using the aftermarket fascia from Greg (sealevel@san.rr.com) along with a steering wheel control adapter, and subwoofer amplifier from Cruchfield. Of course the Nav is no longer installed, but everything else on the car functions as usual. The sound improvement with the new electronics and Pioneer door speakers is dramatic.

Any Photos of the installed Kenwood?

I really would like to go with something newer but so many of the aftermarket units look so out of place in the XJ8. I am surprised that the Chinese manufacturers have not come up with something that looks factory as they have done for so many other models.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by [B
linuxenigma[/B];483865]I just installed a Kenwood radio in my 2000 XJ8 VDP, using the aftermarket fascia from Greg (sealevel@san.rr.com) along with a steering wheel control adapter, and subwoofer amplifier from Cruchfield. Of course the Nav is no longer installed, but everything else on the car functions as usual. The sound improvement with the new electronics and Pioneer door speakers is dramatic. .
What steering wheel control adapter did you use? Do you have an autoleads part number?

Thanks.

Last edited by guernseyshire; 03-19-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:43 PM

Quick Reply: FINALLY - aftermarket radio and custom fascia in my XJ8 !!!