Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Gas Cap Recall -TSB 303-S5509 Redesigned Gas Cap (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/gas-cap-recall-tsb-303-s5509-redesigned-gas-cap-53229/)

jimlombardi 04-16-2011 06:40 AM

Gas Cap Recall -TSB 303-S5509 Redesigned Gas Cap

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
I noticed ant17 thread "Engine light-OBD II no vehicle detected"
Fault displayed "check gas cap" in the message center.
I found this Recall -here is what is covered:

TSB 310-S509 DATE 06/05 Amended
Campaign - Fuel Cap Replacement

V8 XJ Series /XK MODEL 2001-03 MY XK and 2001-03 MY V8 XJ Series
VIN Range A11051-A35295 and F20644-F59525

Here are the highlights from it:

Improperly installed fuel filler caps could result in fuel vapor leaks and illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) indicating “Check Engine”
Your authorized Jaguar Dealer will install, free of charge, a new improved fuel cap which has been designed to make it easier to tighten to the correct torque.

Here is the PDF file I created of the TSB:

Attachment 9608

Is this Recall still in effect?
I know my seat belts in my 1990 Acura are covered under Honda life-time replacement policy. Maybe we should call the Jaguar Customer Relations about this recall (800 452-4827)?

Jim Lombardi

yeldogt 04-16-2011 08:07 AM

Jaguar changed the design of the cap -- any car that came into the dealer got a new cap. I never had the problem and when I first read about the recall I thought it was going to be one of those caps that clicks when you get it on correctly.

But the cap looked about the same -- I have no idea what changed. The cap must look different because they did not install a sticker anyplace to say it had been updated. Normally they want some visual so the dealers can tell quickly that a car has been updated.

My understanding is that recalls never expire.

ant17 04-17-2011 07:43 PM

Thanks Jim,

Got that gas cap error 3 more times today.

ant17 04-18-2011 02:05 PM

Jim,

Talked to Jaguar dealer today. They said thats only a service bulletin not a re-call.

Therefore they will not pay for anything out of warranty.

thx

xjrguy 04-18-2011 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by jimlombardi (Post 337756)

Is this Recall still in effect?
I know my seat belts in my 1990 Acura are covered under Honda life-time replacement policy. Maybe we should call the Jaguar Customer Relations about this recall (800 452-4827)?

Jim Lombardi

Nope, service action S509 expired on Dec. 31, 2008.

Cheers,

yeldogt 04-19-2011 05:01 AM

Fine line between a "service action" and a "recall". I believe I received a letter.

I preferred the older style cap with the magnet and without the tether -- better design. The one on my 02 is dumb (both versions) -- probably cheaper to make.

ant17 04-21-2011 08:02 PM

Follow up- Talked with the dealer, guy was a first class anus!
1. He bad mouthed the forums.
2. He wanted me to bring car in to read codes!! (that will never happen)
3. Was not very customer service oriented.

The cubs will win the series before they ever see my business!

xjrguy 04-22-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ant17 (Post 340485)
Follow up- Talked with the dealer, guy was a first class anus!
1. He bad mouthed the forums.
2. He wanted me to bring car in to read codes!! (that will never happen)
3. Was not very customer service oriented.

The cubs will win the series before they ever see my business!

Be cool, we're not all that way! You do need to have the codes read though. You probably do have some sore of evaporative system leak [fuel tank system]. A really large leak mimics the fuel cap being off so it warns to check the cap. I'd expect a P0445 or something like that.

Cheers,

ant17 04-23-2011 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 340672)
Be cool, we're not all that way! You do need to have the codes read though. You probably do have some sore of evaporative system leak [fuel tank system]. A really large leak mimics the fuel cap being off so it warns to check the cap. I'd expect a P0445 or something like that.

Cheers,

I have a obd2 reader(autotap), but doesn't seem to read or connect, I'm getting another.

thx

ant17 04-26-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by xjrguy (Post 340672)

Cheers,

Read the code. P1000.

Turned off the light.

Replaced the cap.

Thanks

robertjag 09-29-2013 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by ant17 (Post 342696)
Read the code. P1000.

Turned off the light.

Replaced the cap.

Thanks

When you said replaced, do you mean you bought a new cap?

How can one tell the difference between an old/original cap and the newer version?

guyslp 09-29-2013 02:06 PM

Robert,

I can't speak for Ant, but for me simply taking the cap off and putting it back on again virtually always cures this particular problem.

I received the updated cap under the recall a few years ago and ended up losing it in short order. I always hated how they positioned the magnet on the fuel filler flap making it virtually impossible to actually hang the cap on it and get the fuel nozzle into the filler opening, so I started putting the cap on the roof of the car. I'm sure you know where that story goes next. . .

I went back to my original cap, which hadn't been causing me any issues and, other than the occasional major evap system leak and check engine light, still doesn't.

I have to believe that the change in the cap had something to do with the spring loaded part in the center. I could not detect any changes to the thing from visual inspection.

xjay8 09-29-2013 08:33 PM

[QUOTE=

....>>>> so, I started putting the cap on the roof of the car. I'm sure you know where that story goes next. . .>>

....>>>> I have to believe that the change in the cap had something to do with the spring loaded part in the center. I could not detect any changes to the thing from visual inspection.[/QUOTE]

Hey Brian...I can relate to that! ;o)=)
I ended up driving 240 miles to the next gas station before realising that I didn't have a gas cap....duuugh!
Was sitting on top of the station pump and collected it when i returned...another 300 miles!
Didn't affect performance at all, just ha dthe warning come up'Check gas cap'
All was well when reinstalled.
I actually replaced my cap about six tears ago....no, it wasn't a recall, it looked a bit worn and scratched.
The original design as far as i can see.
I think the only difference design wise is a change to the central breathing spring arrangement....and yes, the magnet arrangement is duff.

JimmyL 09-30-2013 09:42 AM

I have a tether and a little holder type setup where you stick the tab into a hole on the flap to keep the cap out of the way while fueling. I like it because I have left a few caps on top of gas pumps. I used to work at a gas station (eons ago), and we always had a ready supply of gas caps on hand.

trottier.ed 05-09-2019 08:17 AM

X308 gas cap update: Part number NNG5942AG. The last 2 letters (AG) signify the "superceded" part number. I don't know previous "original (OEM) last 2 letters. The AG comes with a plastic "ring" underneath inside rim of gas cap. Ring is thus "free" to run around gas cap. Rubber restraint "leash" is attached to "free running" plastic ring. Other end gets "pushed" into hole in underside of gas filler door, I gather (have not yet received my new gas cap). Being an '03 XJR, I am assuming from previous discussion that cap was "upgraded" as part of New Car Delivery "prep" by dealer. Rubber leash/restraint was broken when I took purchased (used). It's a minor point, but irritating just the same. Amy at Welsh Enterprises is working on obtaining one for me as we speak. ($36+ shipping)

EHT, Aiken, SC
JCNA