Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Global open/close of windows (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/global-open-close-windows-142257/)

Bcrary3 05-04-2015 10:01 PM

Global open/close of windows

Not sure if this has been talked about or not on the Vanden Plas, however, I remember seeing in the manual (I don't remember which page off hand) that you can open and close the windows globally by simply holding the lock or unlock buttons on the key fob, this would be really convenient when parked on hot summer days. I know you can use the key by putting the key in the lock turning, and holding either direction, and that works just fine, as well as holding the lock button inside the car on the centre console. Does anyone know why/how to get windows to work via the key fob?

Any help on this would be really appreciated! Thanks :)

ericjansen 05-06-2015 06:07 AM

on our SLK the roof and windows can be operated through the keyfob (but working through the infra red in the door handle) by keeping the open / close button pressed down.
I dont think our Jags have such feature.

CharlzO 05-06-2015 08:32 AM

Yep, my 3-series does it with the fob, but I have yet to find any documentation on the XJs about the keyfob controlling it. I believe it's just the key in the door option for us.

margate69 05-08-2015 08:05 PM

Only the key in the door. Windows are operated by the door module, not the security locking module, which is what the fob communicates with.

firstchoice 05-26-2015 05:12 AM

Window issues. (Global open/close of windows)

This sounds like I might be getting closer to the explanation of a problem I've just had with my 1998 XJ8 Landen Plas. My wife drove it about a week ago. Her fob doesn't work to unlock/lock the doors, (my fob works fine), so she has to use the key. She said she unlocked the door with her key and all four windows rolled down at the same time. (I had no idea that this could even happen, or anything about this Global open/close of windows) But, after that, the driver's window will not operate. It's in the fully up position. I can hear the switch operate, but nothing moves. It will not come down at all. And, even more strange, the sun roof decided to open by itself, as well, and will not stay closed completely now. I can close it all the way, and it stays closed completely for about 3-4 seconds, but then the rear of the sun roof drops. (you can hear the mechanism dropping the rear of the sun roof, as if to reopen, but it doesn't move to the rear.) If I open the window, either part way or completely, it stays open for a few seconds and then it closes by itself. And then the rear of the sun roof drops after a few seconds. What the heck did my wife do to my Jaguar? Before she got in it that day, everything worked perfectly! Now, no drivers window operation, and the sun roof won't shut or stay open. What the heck?
Help! Driving down the highway at 65-70mph with that sunroof dropped in the back makes a roar and a high-pitched whistling sound at the same time. I've got to get this fixed. (and it's embarrasing going through a drive though in a Jaguar and have to open your door to get a Coke. :icon_redface: ) :icon_teeth:

firstchoice

Bcrary3 05-26-2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by firstchoice (Post 1236182)
This sounds like I might be getting closer to the explanation of a problem I've just had with my 1998 XJ8 Landen Plas. My wife drove it about a week ago. Her fob doesn't work to unlock/lock the doors, (my fob works fine), so she has to use the key. She said she unlocked the door with her key and all four windows rolled down at the same time. (I had no idea that this could even happen, or anything about this Global open/close of windows) But, after that, the driver's window will not operate. It's in the fully up position. I can hear the switch operate, but nothing moves. It will not come down at all. And, even more strange, the sun roof decided to open by itself, as well, and will not stay closed completely now. I can close it all the way, and it stays closed completely for about 3-4 seconds, but then the rear of the sun roof drops. (you can hear the mechanism dropping the rear of the sun roof, as if to reopen, but it doesn't move to the rear.) If I open the window, either part way or completely, it stays open for a few seconds and then it closes by itself. And then the rear of the sun roof drops after a few seconds. What the heck did my wife do to my Jaguar? Before she got in it that day, everything worked perfectly! Now, no drivers window operation, and the sun roof won't shut or stay open. What the heck?
Help! Driving down the highway at 65-70mph with that sunroof dropped in the back makes a roar and a high-pitched whistling sound at the same time. I've got to get this fixed. (and it's embarrasing going through a drive though in a Jaguar and have to open your door to get a Coke. :icon_redface: ) :icon_teeth:

firstchoice

A lot of people have had this issue, in fact, when I first bought mine (end of February) the drivers window did not roll down, which I had no idea until it started to warm up, so I spent about a week toying with the switch pack, and all of the wiring, then one day I tried the sun roof, it opened, and closed about 15 second later, and I was perplexed, so I decided to simply Google "Sunroof closing by itself on 2000 Jaguar Vanden Plas" and it brought me here, what you need to do is disconnect the ground from your battery and touch it to the positive lead on the battery for about 30 seconds, and reconnect the ground to the battery. This seems to work for a lot of people. What it does is drains all of the power out of all the electronics and forces the cars computer to reset itself, you will lose trip data (MPG, and mileage). Your odometer will be fine. Also, do not be alarmed if you do this and your car idles incredibly rough the next few times you start it. The computer simply needs to relearn the idle habits of the car and it will return to normal.

firstchoice 05-27-2015 04:10 AM

Window issues. (Global open/close of windows)

I read your reply this morning before I had to leave for the day. In my haste, I misread it and was thinking that you were suggesting crossing the terminals, (shorting the terminals) for 30 seconds.

I was like :icon_omg:! In my mind, I could see a shower of sparks and "lots" of heat, (and a bit of welding! :eek: ) generated by that dead short. Not to mention all the electrical damage done. I couldn't fathom doing that. Duh! So, I restarted my PC and reread your post and it hit me that I had misread it. :icon_bricks:

So, tomorrow I'm going to do exactly what you're suggesting. I hope it clears up the window and sun roof issues. I still have no idea what actually caused this.

And I do remember that after this happened, the first time I drove it, it ran rough under power, like a miss or something. But only that first time. After that, it returned to running okay. Just the window and sun roof problems remained. I wonder how using the key to open the door somehow drains all of the power out of all the electronics and seemingly scrambles their brains? I'll be getting her fob reset SOON, without a doubt.

Thanks Bcrary3 for the excellent help!

firstchoice

andrew lowe 05-27-2015 08:29 AM

When my 98 XJR started doing this, it was the battery going bad!

I must admit, it did cause a bit of head scratching, then after a day or two, it all became clear after reading up on the forum about the problem.

Should have done that first!

firstchoice 06-08-2015 07:47 AM

Bcrary3, Your advice worked perfectly!

Bcrary3, A big thanks to you! I was so bummed about this latest development. Before I got your help, I thought I had all sorts of electrical problems, maybe way over my head, and my budget to repair.

I followed your instructions exactly and it fixed everything I had explained in my earlier post. And more! The car actually runs better, with better power. No more issues with the Sun Roof. No more issues with the Driver's Window. I am a happy XJ8 owner!

I think it's time to take the leap and tackle the transmission rebuild now. Well, a partial rebuild, anyway. I'm researching the list of which parts to collect so that I can replace any and all worn or damaged parts in the transmission. There's a business not far from me called D.I.Y. They rent you a stall with a lift, and rent you whatever else specialty tools, (any tools you need, actually), and you can even "rent" a mechanic to help you with the job. It's kind of like a OTC Technical College environment with all the tools, equipment, and manpower available to fix it yourself. I'm really looking forward to this.

If I can successfully replace the worn and broken parts, fit it with new seals, correctly, and get it back together, correctly, I see no reason that I shouldn't be able to get at least 75,000+ more miles from that transmisson. This transmission lasted for 149,450 miles before it started slipping.

Anyone have an opinon on staying with the all synthetic transmission fluid that's made in Germany? "Pentossin" (sp?) or something like that. Is it the "best" fluid, the only trans fluid you'd dare to use?

Thanks again!

firstchoice

bdboyle 06-08-2015 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by firstchoice (Post 1243606)

*** DELETIA***

If I can successfully replace the worn and broken parts, fit it with new seals, correctly, and get it back together, correctly, I see no reason that I shouldn't be able to get at least 75,000+ more miles from that transmisson. This transmission lasted for 149,450 miles before it started slipping.

Anyone have an opinon on staying with the all synthetic transmission fluid that's made in Germany? "Pentossin" (sp?) or something like that. Is it the "best" fluid, the only trans fluid you'd dare to use?

Thanks again!

firstchoice

Well, this is just my opinion...but, if the original transmission made it to 149,xxx+ miles, probably with the factory fluid in there, I'd say that the "best" trans fluid is what ZF specified? Thinking that there are some pretty smart engineers there, and pretty much know (within the bounds of reason; who could foresee the issues with the valve bodies and subsequent A basket failure mode?) what works and what doesn't.

Of course, since the early years of the new century, research and development at the petrochemical companies has (and I worked at Exxon Research for many years....) no doubt improved the technology; as long as (from the majors anyway) the fluid meets or exceeds the specifications that ZF called for, I'm sure that you will not have any issues.

jeffreyt2000 06-21-2019 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by margate69 (Post 1224105)
Only the key in the door. Windows are operated by the door module, not the security locking module, which is what the fob communicates with.

Hmmm, my wife says that it happens to her occasionally when driving my 2007 XJ8L. In fact it happened today - she went out to get something out of the car and came back in asking why all the windows rolled down and the sunroof opened.

I was the middle of making frozen rhubarb & strawberry vodka cocktails (I call them Frubarbs) for our guests, so I just closed it all and locked the car.

I am guessing she is pressing 2 buttons at once or holding the unlock button down for an extended period of time. Will try to experiment over the weekwnd.

plas guy 03-06-2020 08:28 AM

Global roll down

Originally Posted by jeffreyt2000 (Post 2088401)
Hmmm, my wife says that it happens to her occasionally when driving my 2007 XJ8L. In fact it happened today - she went out to get something out of the car and came back in asking why all the windows rolled down and the sunroof opened.

I was the middle of making frozen rhubarb & strawberry vodka cocktails (I call them Frubarbs) for our guests, so I just closed it all and locked the car.

I am guessing she is pressing 2 buttons at once or holding the unlock button down for an extended period of time. Will try to experiment over the weekwnd.

all the windows roll down in my 2006 Vanden-Plas by holding unlock for a few seconds I just found this out hope this helps

Carnival Kid 03-06-2020 10:11 AM

Item one in this thread..........................
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-x308-215887/

jeffreyt2000 03-06-2020 05:20 PM

Thanks "Plas Guy" - I figured this out a while ago and forgot to post back. It turns out my wife was either holding the button on the Keyfob for several seconds, or the button was getting pressed when she put it in her handbag.
The scary part is that it happened once and she didn't notice as she walked away. She went into a store and came back out later to find all the windows down and the sunroof open.
She now rarely drives the Jag ;)

jeffreyt2000 03-06-2020 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid (Post 2200410)
Item one in this thread..........................
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-x308-215887/

Yes Carnaval, #1 in your great list. This specific issue was related to the key-fob action - so maybe a #1b for your list ;)

Carnival Kid 03-06-2020 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by jeffreyt2000 (Post 2200588)
Yes Carnaval, #1 in your great list. This specific issue was related to the key-fob action - so maybe a #1b for your list ;)

Ah, didn't read carefully enough to realize that. To the best of my knowledge the only global locking/unlocking feature on the X308 is key operated, pretty sure it doesn't have the key fob ability. Must be a feature added to the X350/X358.

It is a great feature, very useful for closing all windows/sunroof when walking away, and opening all windows/sunroof to air the vehicle when returning. I added such a feature to my 2003 Corvette coupe and it was very useful, but I too would sometimes return to the car to find the windows were down!