XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Highest Mileage X308 you know

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:54 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Highest Mileage X308 you know

Just curious if anyone has an X308 or knows someone approaching 250K+ without an engine rebuild. The ZF is likely to need a rebuild before then but the 722.6 MB in the XJRs seems a bit stouter and a few members here are driving 200K+ examples. I know almost any vehicle short of a full size truck is likely to start showing major age at 200K and may not make sense financially to keep running but love to hear if anyone has pushed past 250K or plans to.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (01-28-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

I've seen a few posts in years past of members stating they were over 250k, but I don't know of any titled threads specific to that.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

My former business associate had 275K+ last I heard from him was early 2018, he was often driving it back & forth from NC to Az & Texas. I know he had his transmission rebuilt @ around 120K. It was a 2001 LWB.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:44 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

My 03 XJR is about to hit 215k miles, original drivetrain. That said, what the OP has stated is definitely at least half-true. Different climates will have drastic outcomes, as in areas like mine that have harsh winter seasons where things freeze and potholes open up things get bashed around a lot harder. Consequently, for me it's an ongoing struggle against bushings and sway links and shocks and wheel bearings. The rest of the car (with minor hiccups along the way) has been fine. I daily drive it, about 60-70 miles a day on average, rain, sleet, or shine. In the winter I make sure to every week or so, take it into the car wash and spray it down, especially the undercarriage. Will it get filthy again the next day? Sure, but it still gives me a little peace of mine. Also, open driveway in the elements, and it still starts in -15 degree weather (though it does protest). I do love the car, but to be honest, the choice to push it past 250k is a tough one. While I've just ordered another pair of new shocks so I'm good for another year (maybe longer with the Bilsteins this time?), I still have an evap code to track down. Also in need of new tires. And since I need new rear shocks for warmer days, Figure I have another 1000 dollar bill waiting if I were to keep driving it, not counting anything else that might creep up along the way that I need to fix. Or I can take that money, and throw it on the downpayment of a nice used vehicle with 1/3 the miles and plenty more years ahead of it. In my area at least, there is certainly a point where things are wearing out in the tune of fix-one-thing-break-another.

That said, I have no doubt that it'll push that far, and probably to 300k, if I were to keep driving it. I've never the engine or transmission stumble, only a small top off of tranny fluid once a couple years ago. Other than that, it's been solid as a tank. I think planning past 250k for me is going to be based on how many miles before I find my replacement. I've decided to keep the Jag however, afterwards, and tinker with things on my own time when I'm not needing to use it every day. Stupid evap...It'll be special occasion duty after that.

XJDanny (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 969 Likes on 768 Posts

My 98’ XJR has 251K miles on it and is still going strong. Original engine with freshened up heads and the transmission was replaced with a very low mileage one about a year ago.

Charlzo, for your evap, have a look at the hoses going into your evap canisters. They’re rubber and have an o ring that might need to be replaced.

These pictures were from an 03’ VP that I did an evaporator on May of 2018. This is in miles. For what it’s worth... the engine and transmission are original to the car. The bellhousing bolts don’t have a single mark on them meaning it’s never been apart for the drum. He mentioned that it’s a driver from Pennsylvania to here in Florida.

Last edited by Addicted2boost; 01-28-2019 at 06:10 AM.
XJDanny (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

It’s comforting to hear about these 308’s that have so many miles and still going strong. I have about 80k on mine so I have some catching up to do. ;-)

Old 01-30-2019, 12:44 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
My 03 XJR is about to hit 215k miles, original drivetrain. That said, what the OP has stated is definitely at least half-true. Different climates will have drastic outcomes, as in areas like mine that have harsh winter seasons where things freeze and potholes open up things get bashed around a lot harder. Consequently, for me it's an ongoing struggle against bushings and sway links and shocks and wheel bearings. The rest of the car (with minor hiccups along the way) has been fine. I daily drive it, about 60-70 miles a day on average, rain, sleet, or shine. In the winter I make sure to every week or so, take it into the car wash and spray it down, especially the undercarriage. Will it get filthy again the next day? Sure, but it still gives me a little peace of mine. Also, open driveway in the elements, and it still starts in -15 degree weather (though it does protest). I do love the car, but to be honest, the choice to push it past 250k is a tough one. While I've just ordered another pair of new shocks so I'm good for another year (maybe longer with the Bilsteins this time?), I still have an evap code to track down. Also in need of new tires. And since I need new rear shocks for warmer days, Figure I have another 1000 dollar bill waiting if I were to keep driving it, not counting anything else that might creep up along the way that I need to fix. Or I can take that money, and throw it on the downpayment of a nice used vehicle with 1/3 the miles and plenty more years ahead of it. In my area at least, there is certainly a point where things are wearing out in the tune of fix-one-thing-break-another.

That said, I have no doubt that it'll push that far, and probably to 300k, if I were to keep driving it. I've never the engine or transmission stumble, only a small top off of tranny fluid once a couple years ago. Other than that, it's been solid as a tank. I think planning past 250k for me is going to be based on how many miles before I find my replacement. I've decided to keep the Jag however, afterwards, and tinker with things on my own time when I'm not needing to use it every day. Stupid evap...It'll be special occasion duty after that.
Is it a P0455 by any chance? Going threw that with my xj8 replaced purge valve & CCV smoke tested no leaks now my new purge valve sounds like a boat horn a few minutes at a time especially when coming to lights*rolls-eyes*

Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Rebelo
Is it a P0455 by any chance? Going threw that with my xj8 replaced purge valve & CCV smoke tested no leaks now my new purge valve sounds like a boat horn a few minutes at a time especially when coming to lights*rolls-eyes*
Yep, 0455. I replaced the gas cap first off, with no change. But the old cap was pretty worn so that was worth it. I had replaced the valve underhood, but no change there either. It's very likely that it's canister related on mine, or the hoses to them, but with the winter weather and lack of a garage, coupled with looking for the next vehicle, I haven't had a chance to get it up in the air and look more in-depth.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Old answer to an old problem...I have to do it to mine..., replace the line between the canisters. I've done all the other things mentioned also and I occasionally still get the 455, though its been almost a year now. I just don't feel like climbing under her right now.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have seen an 02 with 240k on it - no rebuilds!

Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Highhorse
Old answer to an old problem...I have to do it to mine..., replace the line between the canisters. I've done all the other things mentioned also and I occasionally still get the 455, though its been almost a year now. I just don't feel like climbing under her right now.

oh boy. It's probably been that vapor crossover tube this whole time. Definitely going to give it a well in depth look when I can. As I'm not to found of my car being referred to as "the titanic" by my nosey neighbor. Also don't care for listening to the purge valve going huuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhpppphhh