Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   hood latch broken (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/hood-latch-broken-219479/)

RonaldP 06-22-2019 06:47 PM

hood latch broken

Tried to open the hood today and the cable to the right side release broke and the left side release popped out of the release handle. I can pull the left side cable and open the left hood release, but the right side cable is still connected to the hood release but it is not connected to anything. I am hopping it just came loose from the other end. How do I get to the right side hood latch?

avern1 06-22-2019 07:36 PM

You can use the advanced search feature and it will give you many threads on the broken hood latch cable. You will need to drill a hole in the inner fender well and access the latch mechanism to trip it and then you can replace and repair the components. The location and size is outlined in a number of threads

RonaldP 06-22-2019 08:18 PM

Thanks, found one that claims that a hole already exists. Pulled my inner fender well liner off and did find an small opening. couldn't feel anything that felt like the latch assembly. will keep looking at repair threads.

motorcarman 06-22-2019 08:52 PM

The hole only exists if someone DRILLED IT THERE. There is no factory access.
Don't drill through the ECM. I had a customer that did that in an attempt to find the latch on the right side.
I found a good used ECM and configured it to the car.

bob

RonaldP 06-25-2019 07:23 AM

I stopped by the dealership here in Gwinnett county and was told that I could access the hood latch under the dash by removing the "A" pillar cover and some insulation along side of the glove box. There is an existing hole I can put a long screwdriver in and push the latch open. I will try it tonight and let you know how it works out.

M. Stojanovic 06-25-2019 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by RonaldP (Post 2089768)
I stopped by the dealership here in Gwinnett county and was told that I could access the hood latch under the dash by removing the "A" pillar cover and some insulation along side of the glove box. There is an existing hole I can put a long screwdriver in and push the latch open. I will try it tonight and let you know how it works out.

If from the A pillar side, you would have to pull, not push.

RonaldP 06-26-2019 03:41 PM

The method that worked was to drill a 1/2" hole 3" below the 11 o'clock inner fender liner hole, directly below because of a main battery power cable coming through just to the left of the existing hole. I removed the cover over the hood latch on our 1999 XJ8L and saw the power cable location in reference to the fender liner retaining hole and the hood latch mounting point. The information given me by the dealership's mechanic in my post above was incorrect as to the access.