XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

I feel a bit sad ….

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 04:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Forums like this will always depend on a small minority of members making the large majority of posts. That is inevitable but it's not the NUMBER of posts that count - it's the CONTENT. The statistic I always look at is a member's 'THANKED/TIMES IN' count because it's a reflection of what other members think of their input.

Many only come to the forum when something goes wrong with their vehicle which is a shame. Some of the posts I've enjoyed the most across all our forums are ones describing trips in Jaguars in places I'll probably never get to see.

We've run a number of PRIZE DRAWS over the last few years thanks to the generosity of members and Sponsors/Vendors donating prizes. Top of the list is Steve (WhiteXKR) who has donated the RealGauge for the current draw. Although a very talented hobbyist and not running it as a business, Steve has consistently donated in every round of PRIZE DRAWS.

We took the decision not to set a minimum post limit as an entry qualification to encourage the 'silent majority' to participate. I know from PM's that many members are avid readers here but are uncomfortable making technical posts in case they are repeating something everyone knows or they aren't entirely sure of their facts.

I was disappointed to see the phrase 'use the search' repeated in this thread. There's two phrases you'll never see in any of my posts - 'use the search' or 'read the manual'. These are a forum killer because they discourage debate and participation. We could just sticky these as thread titles and shut down.

I understand the suggestion of splitting the model forums into subsections but it would be a nightmare to moderate. It takes a lot of time to go through threads/posts in the number of forums we have now. There just aren't enough hours in the day (or Moderators) to expand this.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-28-2017 at 02:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GGG:
euphonium01 (04-28-2017), grandell (04-30-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Originally Posted by euphonium01
Wow! What a great idea from Stu 1986 re a Language/Dictionary that lists common terms and even complex terms
I made a start - a list of acronyms - and put its location in my signature that's on all my posts.

But now I just found out the sig is NOT SHOWN to mobile users! FFS fix the site someone.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
I made a start - a list of acronyms - and put its location in my signature that's on all my posts.

But now I just found out the sig is NOT SHOWN to mobile users! FFS fix the site someone.

I do all my interactions on my mobile phone . I can see your list. What a person on the mobile site needs to do id go to tje bottom of the page and click" VIEW FULL SITE". I think the reason for the mobile site is to reduce the amount of data sent to mobile users to save on their data usage. I keep my phone on the full site at all times.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,767 Likes on 12,155 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
...... I can see your list. What a person on the mobile site needs to do is go to the bottom of the page and click" VIEW FULL SITE". I think the reason for the mobile site is to reduce the amount of data sent to mobile users to save on their data usage. .....
+1

That is the correct SOLUTION and the correct REASON for the way the forum loads on mobile devices.

I only use my phone for the forum when a member makes a complaint!

Graham

Attached Thumbnails -dsc_1052.jpg  
Old 04-29-2017, 01:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

That should be the default. No wonder people, especially new users, are not doing the right things.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

I have indeed had issues with searches, hence why I feel like an imbecile when I search on another device the following day. I then realize my all important question/thread I posted in haste has been thoroughly covered already.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:25 PM
Tyr
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As a newbie, desperately trying to use the "search option", I have some observations. The "stickied" threads are fantastic. They are a must read (or at least a must peruse) for any Jag owner.

There is such a treasure trove of knowledge here, sometimes it can be overwhelming.

There are so many things that can go wrong with our cars, that you can spend many hours searching and reading and still not have a clear idea. This is especially true when pursuing electrical issues or a situation with multiple causes.

Parts and tools can be expensive, so figuring out the most likely, or perhaps the most cost-effective method approach is vital. The wonderful members with the knowledge, or those that might have experienced a very similar situation, can really aid in making a more "informed" decision.

A few minutes can help save us shade tree mechanics/enthusiasts many hours and a good deal of money. It also helps us from being at the mercy of a dealership or mechanic. And truthfully it keeps a lot more of these beauties on the road.

A few suggestions I can offer:

Split the specific vehicle forum(s) (i.e x308) between general questions/comments "Anyone have experience with this upgrade?" and more specific "Please help me get out of restricted mode...".

A specific symptom template can also be used, so when searching an owner can look through the possible solutions. Think more webmd. A sort can be done based upon how many symptoms match up. Base it upon codes, leaks, smells, smoke, gauge readings, rough idling, any previous work completed, etc. The more uniform the symptom's language, the more effective the search will be. i.e. bore wash vs. cylinder wash.

If "Resolved" could be put in the title of a finished thread where a detailed resolution is provided would be great. Many times, I have read a thread with similar symptoms to never really see a specific conclusion. Since a lot of the threads are older, I don't want to revive them asking for clarification.