Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Inertial cutoff switch XJ8 (308) 1998 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/inertial-cutoff-switch-xj8-308-1998-a-214603/)

Dutchy 03-04-2019 01:51 AM

Inertial cutoff switch XJ8 (308) 1998

can some pls send a post or send me a photo of where in the footwell the Inertial cutoff switch is pls
the car is RHD
I checked the consol wall and side walls
I can't see it!
as I have replaced the fuel pump and checked pressure at the engine all ok
it ran great B4 the fuel pump died
so I don't know what could have happened for it to crank only
so thought better check the switch
also when the ignition key is turned on the pump only seems to run for a few seconds is that normal
anyway so I bypassed the relay by jumping the terminals heard it running fine then cranked the engine still no start
I'm going nuts over this

Robman25 03-04-2019 01:56 AM

If you can hear the pump prime when you turn the ignition switch the the inertia switch is not tripped. The pump is what is de-activated when it trips.
The pump only runs for a short burst to prime the fuel rail and then goes to sleep until the engine is cranked indicating that the engine now requires fuel, at that point the pump should fire up again.

Dutchy 03-04-2019 02:18 AM

Great that's out of the list.
still, be nice to be able to see it

as the engine hasent been started for a few months is it possible to flood it?

Jhartz 03-05-2019 10:44 AM

If you have a Driver's Manual, there is a picture to show the location of the switch. I thought it was in the right sidewall behind the rug for both LHD and RHD, but not sure about the RHD.

My guess is you have bore wash which is keeping you from having compression. Try cranking it with the accelerator all the way open (on the floor); this allows oil to build on the cylinder walls; then let up which gives gas . .

Or maybe pull a couple of plugs and puts some oil in a few cylinders. Let's of threads on bore wash.

Dutchy 03-06-2019 02:29 PM

Great I will give that a go never heard of bore wash B4
very interesting reading though
I let you know what happenes
Thanks heaps

JagV8 03-06-2019 04:21 PM

Many cars hardly ever suffer bore wash but sadly some suffer fairly often under certain circumstances. A bit annoying but there are far worse things!

Dutchy 03-07-2019 05:27 PM

I tried about 4 times with foot to floor. I will continue today, then will remove a spark plug or plug's to check the spark
Question will it make any difference to try starting while on stands maybe this car knows it's but is in the air?

Robman25 03-07-2019 06:36 PM

The car being up on stands shouldn’t be a problem. Is the battery up to full voltage?
If it is how long are you cranking for each time and are you keeping the pedal down and not releasing? In my experience the engine will eventually fire once the excess fuel has been expelled. Once it catches the release the pedal.
If that dosen’t work then you might have to remove all the plugs and drop a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder to try to seal the rings.
hope this helps

Dutchy 03-08-2019 03:22 AM

ok car is off stands
battery full plus using jumper leads made of cables used for electric wielders 500amps continuous easy so plenty of grunt.
pedal down full crank for 10-15 sec wait 15 sec and crank again I did this 5 -6 times at least sounded like it went to kick once
turned key off.
waited couple of min tried start did not touch pedal gave a 1 of kick to run then back to cranking again
next pulled a plug looks a bit dark not light brown colour got the other half to crank and checked spark got a nice big orange spark
then put it back together.
turned key on waited till fuel pump stopped and depressed the fuel line shrodder valve, it doesn't seam to be a squirt that would indicate a back pressure of 40psi
I'm suspect about the fuel pressure.
so tomorrow I will buy a pressure set up to check fuel pressure
its gotta be close to fire up.
ps dip stick smelt of fuel a bit.

Dutchy 03-08-2019 04:34 AM

found the Inertial cut off it in the manual RHS drive located right side footwell side wall
Thanks

Dutchy 03-09-2019 11:17 PM

Just an update on my car not starting after replacing the fuel pump
it is not the cutoff switch
I could only get a push on tire pressure gauge
it showed 48psi when turning on ignition for a couple of seconds then dropped to 38psi probably not accurate its only a cheapie
anyhow at least there is fuel
it has a great spark as well
so I've removed all spark plugs sure are dirty and a lot of oil around them when I took them out
I would like to attach a photo of them but unsure how too
so I figure let it air out for a few hours its 30degC here, and thought I would put 10ml of oil into each before putting the plugs back
not sure when I crank again to press the pedal to the floor or don't touch anything?
probably try not touching anything
any help would be good

Robman25 03-10-2019 01:09 AM

To post a picture got ‘Go Advanced’ and click on the paper clip on the menu bar you will see this;
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...c626c9dc37.png
Once you have found the picture(s) you want to use click on the ‘upload’ button

How old are the spark plugs and when you say there is oil is it on the ceramic portion or on the electrode area?
If its on the ceramic then its probably the cam cover gaskets need to be replaced.
Oil in the cylinders and leave the gas pedal alone

Dutchy 03-10-2019 05:09 AM

thankyou I started a new thread also about the fuel pressure in the rail it has photos of the plugs
pls check it out and let me know
regards John Dutchy

Jhartz 03-10-2019 12:03 PM

Once you put oil in a few cylinders and reinstalled the plugs, let it crank for just a second to coat the rings and cylinders: then try to start it normally -- no accelerator play. If it is bore wash, it should start since you clearly have gas, compression and spark.

Dutchy 03-10-2019 04:41 PM

To Robman 25 the oil was only on the threads, I am sure it is making its way down to the plugs as when I pulled the coil and cover that comes with it the bottom of the rubber cover has oil dripping from it, so I am sure there is a build up of oil down there around the plug, I cleaned it out with a rag and screwdriver.
But wondering how it's getting down and from where?

Carnival Kid 03-10-2019 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dutchy (Post 2037876)
To Robman 25 the oil was only on the threads, I am sure it is making its way down to the plugs as when I pulled the coil and cover that comes with it the bottom of the rubber cover has oil dripping from it, so I am sure there is a build up of oil down there around the plug, I cleaned it out with a rag and screwdriver.
But wondering how it's getting down and from where?

Most likely leaking seals....................................items 2, 3 & 4 or items 15, 16 & 4 according to VIN
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/Eng...4.0%20LITRE-V8

Dutchy 03-11-2019 04:07 PM

Thanks, carnival, however, is it parts 2,3,4
or15,16
as I like to order them before removal
3.2Ltr x308

Carnival Kid 03-11-2019 04:21 PM

I'm not sure which is which, the early engines were the A26 and the later ones were the A27, and the valve cover gaskets are different. The A26 is easily recognizable as it does not have the electrical solenoid connections on the top of the valve cover for the VVTs, whereas the A27 does as it has electronically controlled "infinitely" variable valve timing..

Yours is a 1998 so I am assuming it is a A26 motor,. (If you post a pic of your motor it should be easy to identify)
I am completely unfamiliar with the 3.2 version, so don't know where it fits in the picture.

If you do a search on this forum there have been several threads regarding the different gaskets and what they fit or don't fit, if I remember correctly there is even a color difference.

Others with more detailed knowledge may also chime in here?

Dutchy 03-11-2019 05:03 PM

yes it is an AJ26 no VVT
thanks

Carnival Kid 03-11-2019 05:52 PM

Ah, here is a forum link that should clear things up..................................
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...covers-212566/