Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   inside door lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/inside-door-lights-3937/)

Stevel39 01-18-2008 10:52 AM

inside door lights

I own a 2003 XJ8 VDP, all of the inside door lights except on the rear passenger side door will not operate, the bulbs are ok, but will not light. Also the lights do not go on when the doors are opened. Is there a relay that is not working. Any help would be appreciated.

FactoryJaguarTech 01-18-2008 06:22 PM

RE: inside door lights

Fuse 13 and 15 in Left hand heel board box.
Fuse 15 in right hand heel board fuse box.
I would start though by disconnecting battery for a few minutes then reconnect and check lamp operation.
The fuses are assuming you have left hand drive car and we talking about the puddle lamps (the ones in the door).
Let us know...and we will go to the next step.

Stevel39 01-19-2008 10:30 AM

Thank you for your help with my dilemma. I checked the fuses, disconnected the battery and of coarse the bulbs and unfortunately still at square 1. What is interesting is that only the rear passenger side door operates not only the puddle light but all the interior lights. The three other doors will not trigger any lights inside the car whatsoever. I do appreciate any light;) you can shed on this matter. Thank you very much. Steve

FactoryJaguarTech 01-19-2008 04:52 PM

when you sit in vehicle, engine running, all doors, hood and trunk closed, what shows on instrument pack?
Next open then close all doors one at a time and monitor cluster again. Any messages come up?

Stevel39 01-21-2008 09:27 AM

Thanks for sticking with me. I did what you said and only the rear passenger door triggers a door open message in the message center. That is the door that the puddle light works. The three other doors do not trigger any message. Thanks again for you time and help. Steve

Stevel39 01-22-2008 07:03 PM

Do you have time or anymore ideas of what I can do to fix this frustrating issue?

FactoryJaguarTech 01-22-2008 07:15 PM

If only the rear door say Door Ajar then I would suspect that there is a problem with the other 3 door latches. They really have nothing in common though. Did you just buy car?
The door ajar switches are built into the door latches. Not sure about pricing at all. Maybe you can get with Ken@britishparts.com to see if he has latches.
I am pretty convinced that is what it is, but start with one and if it corrects that one part of the problem get the other two. Not common for them all to go at once, but not unheard of.

Also just to edit. Today I had a vehicle that was doing the same thing, only rear door wouldnt trigger but the rest would. I replaced the faulty latch in the rear door, but the old latch seems to have shorted the rear door module. So although the latch now works, there is now the need to replace the module. I don't forsee that happening to you as it is not common. But fingers crossed eh.