XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Instrument Cluster will not fire up after bulb replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 01:07 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Instrument Cluster will not fire up after bulb replacement

Hi All,
I have a great older XJ8 '2000. Some lights are out on the instrument cluster so I follow the process posted on the forum and removed the cluster assembly and replaced the bulbs with LEDs.

Didn't realized the LEDs were polarized so the panel didn't fire up after I connected it up for electrical check. I removed the LEDs and put back the bulbs which are not polarized. Plugged it back in and it did not fire up again.

Checked the 2 fuses for the cluster and they were not blown both times. So what I'm thinking is I probably fried some part of the circuit board in the instrument cluster. Or perhaps the two large connectors at the bottom where not properly inserted though the locking swing arms both seated on the connector.

Must be missing something. Any leads or suggestions?
Thks,
Bill

Old 09-25-2017, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

My guess is the swing/plug connectors are not seated properly.

The following users liked this post:
Bill MacKenzie (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

It is possible as King Charles says that the wires aren't seated properly, the plugs may need a little blast with electrical cleaner too. I can't imagine the LED's causing anything to blow, but if it has killed your instrument cluster replacement isn't like for like. You must find a unit that matches up with the VCATS list for your car.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

The IPK is a robust unit, the can-bus runs through it....check for bent pins on the cluster. I fitted led bulbs to mine without issues.
The VCATS Stu mentions is located on the spare wheel well shoulder in the trunk, remove the board and it'll list all the modules fitted to the car, you're looking for 'IPK'=part number/program code if a replacement is required...
One more thing to try before deciding it's dead is to carry out a hard reset.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 AM

Hi All,
Thanks for the feedback, I'll muddle through this with your help!
Sean B - What's a hard start composed of - disconnecting both terminals on the battery and waiting for 15 minutes or a half hour and then reconnecting and turning on the car.
Also do I have to reprogram anything and what does that entail. Will replacing the VCATS module be the first step?
Thanks big time,
Bill

Old 09-25-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Hard RESET is where you disconnect the negative and BRIEFLY touch the positive terminal for 2-3 seconds, which will discharge the system and put the car back into it's learning mode. When you restart the car expect the idle to be erratic as it finds itself, and during the first few minutes of driving you may notice odd shift patterns as the gearbox learns too.
The VCATS is a sticky label with your car's unique data printed on it, it isn't a module.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

VCATS info for you.

bob

Attached Files
Old 09-25-2017, 07:47 PM

Hi All,
Thanks for the advice one and all. In the end it was poor seating of the fly-over connectors. That said, I used Electronic Cleaner on all the contacts and one I plugged in the instrument cluster (measured the depth of the socket and determined that the plug needed to be inserted 16 mm to get good contact and made sure that happened when I re-installed the assembly. Don't like to put to much force on over a decade old plastic connectors but in this case I was too cautious. Any way am a "happy camper" so thanks again for your help!
Bill

Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill MacKenzie
Hi All,
Thanks for the advice one and all. In the end it was poor seating of the fly-over connectors. That said, I used Electronic Cleaner on all the contacts and one I plugged in the instrument cluster (measured the depth of the socket and determined that the plug needed to be inserted 16 mm to get good contact and made sure that happened when I re-installed the assembly. Don't like to put to much force on over a decade old plastic connectors but in this case I was too cautious. Any way am a "happy camper" so thanks again for your help!
Bill
Good to see you found resolution, I went through the same thing whilest replacing bulbs.