Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Jaguar XJ8 Odometer Not working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/jaguar-xj8-odometer-not-working-98788/)

MrJagXJ 07-15-2013 08:21 AM

Jaguar XJ8 Odometer Not working

Just bought myself my first Jag - an XJ8 '98 3.2.

Only problem with it is the odometer isnt working. Its just blank so i cant see anything on the screen. The rest of the instruments are working fine, speedo etc..

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? The lid to the fuse box in the engine bay is also missing so i cant check which fuse it is that may be linked to it.

Thanks

MrJagXJ 07-15-2013 08:30 AM

Jaguar XJ8 Odometer Not working

spelt odometer wrong on the title, ooops

WhiteXKR 07-15-2013 08:38 AM

The LCD is a plug in module inside the instrument cluster. Chances are it has failed.

You can replace the entire instrument cluster, but you will have to match up the exact part number and software version, plus the odometer reading will not be correct for your car.

I would recommend instead finding the cheapest used instrument cluster for a '96'-'03 XJ on ebay, and just swapping out the LCD module inside the cluster.

GGG 07-15-2013 09:10 AM

Welcome to the forum MrJagXJ,

+1 to the LCD Module. You don't want to get involved in swapping the full Instrument Pack if you can possibly avoid it.

I've edited the typo in your thread title so it appears in searches.

When you get a minute, please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

MrJagXJ 07-15-2013 09:11 AM

is it not possible just to be a fuse or something simple like that? want to explore all the options before before i start buying new bits.

Also does anyone have the engine bay fuse box layout?

WhiteXKR 07-15-2013 09:19 AM

The LCD is not fused separately from the rest of the instrument cluster.

MrJagXJ 08-05-2013 09:08 AM

So i took out the instrument panel to change the bulbs at the back and it looked like some fluid had been spilt back there. Question i have does anyone know how hard it is to disconnet the LCD unit from the instrument cluster?

WhiteXKR 08-05-2013 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by MrJagXJ (Post 785956)
So i took out the instrument panel to change the bulbs at the back and it looked like some fluid had been spilt back there. Question i have does anyone know how hard it is to disconnet the LCD unit from the instrument cluster?

To get to it you need to remove the back cover of the cluster and unplug the small white ribbon cable connectors. Then remove the front bezel and unplig the red LCD connector and remove the circuit board. See steps 4-9 of the attached document to see some hints.

At ths point it would be easiest to just replace the entire dial assembly including the LCD with the one from the the donor cluster. If you choose instead to remove the LCD alone, you need to peel back the bottom part of black plastic dial label, which is attached with adhesive to get the LCD free.