Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Just bought a Super V8 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/just-bought-super-v8-106369/)

princemarko 11-13-2013 03:30 PM

Just bought a Super V8

12 Attachment(s)
Been looking for one for a while and found one that a dealer mislabeled as a XJ Supercharged and not knowing the Super V8 is different....

Needs minor things, but drove it 1000 miles back home from North Carolina to Florida without any issues.

princemarko 11-13-2013 03:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more pics

danielsand 11-13-2013 03:37 PM

Congrats! I know you've been searching for one.

Tell us about "minor things", mileage, ....the good and the bad.

Blue_XJ8 11-13-2013 03:39 PM

Very nice indeed, and congrats. I just moved from NC to TX. Why didn't I drive that one back?? LOL

Sean B 11-13-2013 04:18 PM

First impressions would be nice.....;)

princemarko 11-13-2013 04:40 PM

First impressions:

Smooth, very smooth suspension... But it is far different than the xjr. Where I had confidence in the xjr in twists and turns, I do not with the super v8.

Rides slightly higher, and the extra 5in makes a HUGE difference in the interior.

Issues:

Check rear lights comes on when the headlights are on auto when the car turns on.

Slight hum from drivers front side

Occasionally on downshifts from 2 to 1, it hits a little hard

Sean B 11-13-2013 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by princemarko (Post 854652)
First impressions:

Smooth, very smooth suspension... But it is far different than the xjr. Where I had confidence in the xjr in twists and turns, I do not with the super v8.

Rides slightly higher, and the extra 5in makes a HUGE difference in the interior.

Issues:

Check rear lights comes on when the headlights are on auto when the car turns on.

Hehe, yep you can feel the extra on turn-in.

issues,
possible stalk wiring fault
wheel bearing
check trans fluid level and top off with the Mercedes stuff.

Hope that helps ;)

RCG 11-13-2013 05:07 PM

Never mind.

Figured it out for myself, by reading.

danielsand 11-13-2013 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by princemarko (Post 854652)
First impressions:

Issues:

Oh yes! Sometimes I wish I drove XJR before I put my money on the table for VDP. Sometimes. VDP (S/C or not), is a different beast from the short wheelbased ones. My wife drives the regular XJ8, and even her car feels much more responsive, and better in corners, than mine. I would imagine the difference being about the same between the S/C ones.

Extra room in the VDP is nice, but I don't need it (nobody ever sits in the back). Your SuperV8 is peppier than mine of course, but the ride quality, room etc. is the same. It's a BIG car, and it glides over the pavement, but you will never race anyone in it either. Since I have countless speeding tickets, this is not such a bad thing for me!

OldMike 11-13-2013 06:16 PM

Congrats on the purchase -- sounds like you're going to have some good times driving your new car!

princemarko 11-13-2013 07:11 PM

Also sounds like the steering column squeaks

Injuredoften 11-13-2013 10:24 PM

Congrats. We are in a similar boat. Last month I landed a silver 2003 Super V8 with 72k miles. Great shape, had a saggy headliner, blown subwoofer, and a rattle from the rear over bumps. Other than that things look great. So far I have fixed the headliner, installed an aftermarket 12" amp/sub in the trunk, and ordered a Mina intake (I know, I know, I just need more sound). I'll get around to the rear suspension noise later when I am able to get it in the air and do a full chassis inspection. Once emissions are done, I'll be doing a custom cat-back and have the windows tinted. By then I will probably need some new rear tires because this thing loves burn outs. Enjoy the new whip.

princemarko 11-14-2013 06:17 AM

I'd like to add horsepower, swap out those wheels and maybe change the suspension. I really get annoyed with the car feeling like its floating

Injuredoften 11-14-2013 08:04 AM

Maybe someone else can confirm, but I thought I remember reading that if we simply diasble the CATS suspension (not sure if there is a connector to unplug or a fuse to pull) it will automatically default to a firmer setting. Might be worth a try.

jagjunky 11-14-2013 08:54 AM

congratulations and i simply love.....still trying to get rid of my check rear lights message....good luck with yours.

Jhartz 11-14-2013 10:04 AM

The CATS does default to hard, but it also turns on a MIL light.

Normally the rattle in the rear is a loose parking brake line or upper and lower shock bushings, but yesterday, completely frustrated after burning up a quarter of a month's social security with new shocks and still having the rattle, I found it was a dry muffler mount on the port side aft: little (well, actually, lots) of silicon spray, it has shut the k up, for now.

rocklandjag 11-14-2013 10:18 AM

Disconnect the multi-pin connector from the CATS module and the system will default to the firm setting without the "suspension fault" message appearing. The module is located in the passenger footwell behind and above the right hand side trim panel

Adding a rear anti-roll bar really helps the handling. You will need to add a bracket to the differential carrier in order to bolt the bar on. Search for my post on this for more information

princemarko 11-14-2013 11:55 AM

Yes, I disconnected the module in my XJR... The default firm setting was like driving on rails. Bilstien were great and far cheaper.

I'm debating on putting my asteroid chrome wheels on it

princemarko 11-14-2013 02:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I saw that this guy put on DB7 wheels on an xj....

flay 11-14-2013 03:04 PM

That's a bad boy looking car (I seen some American movies with guys driving similar cars). Your car looks perfect (for me) with the actual wheels. I have already 2 sets for mine, but I am tempted to try one pair.