Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Looking at 2000 XJR - rattle,rattle,rattle (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/looking-2000-xjr-rattle-rattle-rattle-28079/)

mfennell 10-31-2009 08:47 AM

Looking at 2000 XJR - rattle,rattle,rattle

Terrible question for a forum, but how loud are the superchargers? I'm looking at a 110k mile XJR. No chain rattle on startup and I know the secondary tensioners were changed @ 90k per the local Jag dealer. The waterpump has been replaced too.

Unfortunately, there's a rattle I can hear with the hood up at idle. Sounds like a bearing to my ears from the top/front of motor (although these kind of noises are notoriously hard to pinpoint). I didn't notice until I stopped on a quiet side street during the test drive and popped the hood. May be completely normal. Nothing was obviously loose (SC snout, belt tensioner) with the engine off.

Another quick Q: is an always on ABS/Traction control error typically symptomatic of the control module? or the hydraulic unit?

The car is what I'd call average but priced appropriately. Mismatched tires, typical headliner issues, shocks on way out, feels like some bushings wouldn't hurt, etc. I don't expect perfection (I owned 2 Lotus Esprits at the same time so I have a high threshold :) ) I just don't want to throw myself down the mineshaft. I'm working to get the car looked at by the local dealer but I'm not sure I feel like going through the aggravation.

Thanks for any thoughts.

labcoatguy 10-31-2009 01:04 PM

The supercharger is almost disappointingly quiet. You can hear it in the higher RPMS if you floor it in the lower gears as a distant wail, but by the time you're on the freeway, it'll be drowned out by the wind noise. BTW, if you're still looking for an XJR, my '99 with an updated non-Nikasil engine and new tensioners is possibly for sale in Boston.

mfennell 11-02-2009 08:30 AM

I suspect you'll be asking "lovingly cared for and maintained" money for that while I'm looking to pay "we can't even send this heap to auction" prices. :)

stew52 11-02-2009 09:40 AM

My supercharger rumbles at idle, can only hear it with the bonnet up, sounds horrible but it quietens when revved up - I was told to just ignore it as fitting new bearings only quietens it for a while.
Lots of people mention the Trac/ABS light, mine comes on occasionly sometimes every time I drive it, then it can go months without showing. Most likely cause is the soldered pins in the abs module, if you search the forum you'll see the solution (not difficult).
If you're getting the car cheap because of these faults only then it's probably worth a chance.
All the best
Stew

mfennell 11-02-2009 12:15 PM

Thanks Stew. I hope that's exactly what I'm describing.

cgrichie 11-09-2009 08:55 PM

99 Jaguar XJR for sale

Hello Guys,

I have a 99 XJR with 150k miles with updated timing chain guides and tensioners. The car runs and drives like a beast. The only problem with the car is that it needs paint. The clear coat is faded and would require me to refinish the paint at a quoted cost of $3,500. I have another 2001 XJR that I drive as a daily driver and I just got through spending money on updated timing chain hardware as well on this car. The 99 XJR has both upper and lower tensioners and new chains as well. I am asking $3k for the car. This would be a great for someone who needs a good used engine with updated timing hardware already. The car runs and drives like a beast. The abs module on the car is bad also. If anyone is interested just drop me an email at cgrichie@gmail.com or call me at 323-572-7884. I am located in the SoCal area.

zigjag 05-10-2019 04:37 AM

I gave my black 1998 xjr a slightly more sinister look than a prefessional $3,500 paint job would.

When your car is worth the same as a new paint job, why not spray it yourself?

10 cans of plasti dip, matt black cost a few hundred and it was fun to do.

quick pros and cons for plasiti dip

Con - pulled over more often
Con - marks from anything touches it
Pro - just get another can from the boot and spray some over the new mark
Pro or Con - street cred from boy racers

Sorry to all members, it is almost blasphemy, but I did do something out of respect for the car.

I consider the worst thing you could do to a Jag is to have a tow bar, should be a shooting offence!

vincent661983 05-10-2019 02:30 PM

regarding ABS/Traction control , I sent it to a ebay seller for rebuild , it is not expensive . so this is a top concern even it eventually happens

nilanium 05-10-2019 03:14 PM

Gravedigging! Last post was from '09!

Anyway, I fitted a towbar to my XJR so I could put a tray bike rack on it to carry my mountain bike around. It's a daily, not a show car, so I'm not bothered. Besides, there's way worse things to do to a Jag (stanced, etc).

Plus, what else are you supposed to use to tow your boat? (not my pic)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...6c4af5fb2c.jpg

CharlzO 05-11-2019 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by zigjag (Post 2068394)
I gave my black 1998 xjr a slightly more sinister look than a prefessional $3,500 paint job would.

When your car is worth the same as a new paint job, why not spray it yourself?

10 cans of plasti dip, matt black cost a few hundred and it was fun to do.

quick pros and cons for plasiti dip

Con - pulled over more often
Con - marks from anything touches it
Pro - just get another can from the boot and spray some over the new mark
Pro or Con - street cred from boy racers

Sorry to all members, it is almost blasphemy, but I did do something out of respect for the car.

I consider the worst thing you could do to a Jag is to have a tow bar, should be a shooting offence!

I have to respectfully disagree - Plastidipping a Jag is certainly higher on the "offense" list than fitting a tow bar. I do realize value vs cost and all that, but I fitted a bar to my 03 XJR, and have used it the same as that photo below, to tow a small sailboat to the lake in style (in addition to other towings - a lot more capable to tow than many lesser cars), and it was also a factory option. That would put Jaguar themselves as prime offenders from Day 1, I guess?

But Plastidip.. to each their own.

mfennell 05-11-2019 09:48 AM

Haha. OP here. I had a great time with that XJR. I put about 50k miles on it IIRC. Did the headliner, put OEM shocks all around, a bunch of bushings, had the wheels refurbed, and it was great. I eventually replaced the plastic piece on the SC snout (I can't remember what it's called) but the rattle got worse as time when on. Great car as long as you looked after it but I got tired of doing that after a while, especially as the rattle progressed to embarrassing. By the time I sold it cheap, the radio, AC, and cruise control were dead. Never got the ABS to work either (tried the reflow solder trick).

Enjoy your Jaguars!

zigjag 05-11-2019 06:48 PM

Yeah, I was writing with a "tongue in cheek" but you cant see that in the text, I unreservedly apologize for both actions, one for the outbound accusation and one against me, i was wrong on both counts, but slightly less wrong about the towbar.

Always had a rebel streak tho.

What I almost did was put a union jack on the roof.

What would the ethics community say to that?

Johnken 07-30-2019 10:43 AM

Look for Mtorcarmans post on the trick to simplify the removal/ install. Try a search on "bend the" . You'll be bending the crap out of the brace underneath.

John