Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/)
-   -   Looking for a member to test my Icarsoft I 930 scanner (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/looking-member-test-my-icarsoft-i-930-scanner-217684/)

Ronco1 05-12-2019 03:47 PM

Looking for a member to test my Icarsoft I 930 scanner

I'm looking for a fellow member with a 2003 XJR or XJ8 that I could mail my Icarsoft I 930 to for testing in order to find out if the unit's failure to communicate with my 2003 Jaguar x308 XJR ECU is because of the tester or my car. What's weird here is that this tester when loaded with OBD II software will work with other makes of cars no problem but for some reason it WILL NOT communicate with my car's ECU. It DOES communicate with all the modules" on the "CAN BUS" but not with the ECU which is on the SERIAL BUS. I originally bought this tester( $120) to trouble shoot an ABS (module) problem which it successfully accomplished. I am currently trying to troubleshoot "fuel trim" problems which without ECU communications is not possible

I make this request as Icarsoft has ZERO tech support or product support of any kind,

My proposal would be to mail my tester to you including return postage and any fee that you would deem appropriate for your time to test the scanner. If it does work on your car that would say that the problems is probably with my Jag although other scanners work on my car in OBDII no problem. I have always suspected a "timing " problem with the Icarsoft software but confirming this with a company with ZERO support for its products makes this impossible. If the tester DOES work with your car perhaps you might be interested in buying it half price as it won't serve my purposes finding my fuel trim problems.. Your call.

In keeping with rules to keep this excellent forum free of clutter , please email to me off line ( rjsimmons@rcn.com) if you can help me out with this.

Many thanks for replies
Ron Simmons
Natick , Ma

JagV8 05-13-2019 02:54 AM

In the meantime it may well be that an elm327 for about $10 will let you look at trims.

xjack 05-18-2019 04:52 PM

Yep, my 7 euro bluetooth obd and torque does all trims perfectly well,
i have also tried icarsoft and it was utter junk, it was not able to connect to SRS for which i bought that thing, all readings were flipping values more fast than i could notice, for my luck seller accepted the return

Dutchy 05-18-2019 07:17 PM

I did see a video about the ELM327 that fried the ECU on youtube

I think xjack had a carsoft and changed it for a Foxwell

xjack 05-19-2019 05:17 AM

Will try mongoose clone now so my foxwell is for sale.

jackra_1 05-19-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by fmertz (Post 2066257)
Basically, there are 3 options:

1. Cheap scanner that reads standard OBDII on any car. It has no knowledge of any Jaguar/Land Rover systems (ABS, Airbag, etc.). You can get this as cheap as a few $. Check ELM327 devices on eBay/Amazon. You then need a phone/tablet app to get the actual data, like trouble codes, and some live data (fuel pressure, fuel trims). All-in-all, you should get one of these anyway. Too cheap not to get.
  2. JLR handheld scanner. These devices have a more-or-less complete understanding of all the modules in our cars. They read all trouble codes and can get live data from (most?) modules. There is a Foxwell model people like. There is also an iCarsoft model. I am sure there are tons of others. Should be anywhere between $100 and $200, so a bit expensive, but well worth it in the long run. FWIW, the Foxwell model can be supplemented with software for other cars (there is a memory card) so one handheld device can service more than one car, if it applies to you. These devices can also do some "extra" stuff like add new keys, but somehow not reset transmission adaptations. These devices are probably the standard easy answer as to what to get for most diagnostics functions on our cars.
  3. IDS/SDD from British Diagnostics. It is laptop software in a virtual machine that runs the original "dealer level" software. It comes with a USB cable that reads all protocols from the car. This is the ultimate in functionality, but it needs a laptop to run. The software is a bit tough to operate without any training, and looks dated for sure. The flip side is that it does everything, including updating software on modules on the newer cars, VCATS, keys, transmission adaptations, live data capture of just about anything, original programming of a car to its destination country (like DRL in Canada), etc, etc.. Speaking in theory, SDD lets you enter symptoms, and the software can come up with diagnostics based on all the trouble codes.I am sure a novice user could "brick" a module by applying the wrong sequence of steps, but a determined user can do some advanced functions too. The tough part is to deal with BD as it has historically been very unresponsive to direct inquiries, but seem to have (in the great eventually) delivered on orders people had placed over the years.

I use the iCarsoft most of the time and on my 2013 Range Rover and 2005 XJR is works extremely well.

I use my JLR SDD system, two different versions on two cheap laptops, for more complete and more complicated functions that require a battery support system to maintain the correct voltage over an extended period where one is performing something like a height calibration on suspension.

I originally had a cloned mangoose cable that bit the dust after less than a year. Now have a genuine pro cable.

jrb53 05-19-2019 07:54 AM

Sent you an email let me know if you want to come to Rhode Island only 45 minuets away

Ronco1 05-19-2019 11:01 AM

Many thanks Julian ! I replied to your email
Ron Simmons